Which system won this generation to you?

Which system won this generation?

• Nintendo's Wii

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Sony's Playstation 3

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Microsofts Xbox 360

Votes: 30 28.0%

• Total voters

Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If this is relating to my points then the whole point I have been making is that I did play the game, found it to be boring within an hour, and decided to not flog myself with a 50+ hour adventure through mediocrity just to say "I have played this game thoroughly and I can say it's bad."
Maybe by using an analogy, I can make my point clear:

When J.K. Rowlings sent the first few chapters of Harry Potter to publishing agencies, all of them said it was shit. Only one agency thought it was good.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When J.K. Rowlings sent the first few chapters of Harry Potter to publishing agencies, all of them said it was shit. Only one agency thought it was good.

That's more of an "It'll never catch on!" sort of thing, so it doesn't exactly work here.

Just because a game is huge is not an excuse for it to have an unengaging, dull opening. If the opening of a game fails to offer anything that would capture a player's interest, the blame lies with the developer, not the player.

Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's more of an "It'll never catch on!" sort of thing, so it doesn't exactly work here.

Just because a game is huge is not an excuse for it to have an unengaging, dull opening. If the opening of a game fails to offer anything that would capture a player's interest, the blame lies with the developer, not the player.
I completely agree. Incidentally, Xenoblade Chronicles captured my heart from the very beginning.
How the heck does that have anything to do with this??
Analogy: the cognitive process of transferring information or meaning from a particular subject (the HP thing) to another subject (Premature dismissal of games).

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh. It's not a traditional JRPG, that's for sure.
exactly.
So a Japanese RPG doesn't qualify as a Japanese RPG?
That's what I was gonna say. I looked up Intelligent Systems, and they're a Japanese company.
i get (both) your point, but i'd argue it's a misnomer.
like i said "sure, it's made by Intelligent Systems", that is, acknowledging that it's japanese - they're a subsidiary of Nintendo,
and made other games like Fire Emble for example, which i guess would be a "TJRPG" (?)
if you actually care about my point, i could elaborate. but i guess you know what i meant.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i guess that would apply more to a scenario like Nintendo (a publisher) turning Pokemon down several times,
rather an a player not wanting to play a whole game.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
He was saying your analogy was shit.
How very mature of you.
i guess that would apply more to a scenario like Nintendo (a publisher) turning Pokemon down several times,
rather an a player not wanting to play a whole game.
You're probably right. I still believe a premature dismissal of a game is an inadequate evaluation of a game.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How very succinct and to the point of you.

Fixed that for ya.

(Edit: Plus, your response to xwatchmanx was incredibly condescending and patronizing. I think you lost any sort of "maturity high ground" in this matter from the get-go.)

I completely agree. Incidentally, Xenoblade Chronicles captured my heart from the very beginning.

Ok, that's great for you, but there's obviously disagreement here on that point. Is that view only legitimate as long you agree?

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're probably right. I still believe a premature dismissal of a game is an inadequate evaluation of a game.
prematural dismissal of anything, and then proceeding to qualify it as a whole, is wrong. (games, books, films, songs, people etc)
you can only qualify as far as you know of it.
"the game started out slow and it bored me to death" - fine.
"i only played the beginning and it was so boring, the game is shit" - not fine.

but then again, i think games (due to their nature) should be engaging from the start.
otherwise go read a book, when i want a story i do.
:)

Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
(Edit: Plus, your response to xwatchmanx was incredibly condescending and patronizing. I think you lost any sort of "maturity high ground" in this matter from the get-go.)
I didn't mean to be condescending. The guy literally asked wtf I was talking about, so I explained it. If I offended you xwatchmanx, I'm sorry because that was not my intention.

Ok, that's great for you, but there's obviously disagreement here on that point. Is that view only legitimate as long you agree?
Disagreement is the basis of this discussion. I simply stated my opinion on the matter, and for some reason I get bitched at for doing so.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, the Xbox 360 won this generation for me, It's got a solid library of both retail and downloadable games that's not matched on either the PS3 or Wii, and has a solid online infrastructure that if you can ignore it's price and users, is actually quite excellent.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny to see the Wii leading the poll here, but this is a Nintendo site...

It's far easier to name a dozen quality titles from the PS3 or 360 library than it is from the Wii library. I give it to the 360 based on the game quality to price point ratio along with a far better online service (you get what you pay for...). Sony definitely had the console with the most potential but they squandered it all away with poor decisions and dev's weak utilization of the power available to them. Nintendo made their money off of a gimmick. I don't think motion controls themselves are a gimmick. It's the idea of foregoing any sort of technological leap to put out a console where motion control was the only thing it had going for it. Can you imagine what kinds of adventures Mario, Link, and Samus would have had if the Wii had any sort of power behind it?

Reactions: Disorarara
D

Deleted_171835

GBAtemp is filled with hipsters (;)). Almost every other site I've been to regards Xenoblade Chronicles as the best RPG of this generation. Granted, I haven't played more than 10 hours but I enjoyed what I tried (music was amazing too).

But I disagree Guild. With a game this long, you can't just outright dismiss it without even getting to the meat and bones of it. Judging a game that's about 100 hours long after only playing 1 hour is ridiculous.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Funny to see the Wii leading the poll here, but this is a Nintendo site...

It's far easier to name a dozen quality titles from the PS3 or 360 library than it is from the Wii library. I give it to the 360 based on the game quality to price point ratio along with a far better online service (you get what you pay for...). Sony definitely had the console with the most potential but they squandered it all away with poor decisions and dev's weak utilization of the power available to them. Nintendo made their money off of a gimmick. I don't think motion controls themselves are a gimmick. It's the idea of foregoing any sort of technological leap to put out a console where motion control was the only thing it had going for it. Can you imagine what kinds of adventures Mario, Link, and Samus would have had if the Wii had any sort of power behind it?

You've articulated what I've been thinking but too lazy to type. I find it a little funny how much everyone else's shortcomings boosted the 360.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8