Which PS Vita model to choose ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Indy13
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 32,923
  • Replies Replies 18

Indy13

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
706
Reaction score
807
Trophies
0
Age
47
XP
1,730
Country
France
Hello friends,

I'd like to buy a PS Vita but I don't know which is the best model for jailbreaking and retrogaming, I'm looking for the most powerful model.

Do you have any advice for me?

Thx in advance
 
The launch model has an OLED screen, handheld feels premium, and apparently better handles better touchscreen control than the Slim.

Slim looks cheap, has a Micro USB port (while the OLED had a proprietary port), and an internal 1GB storage (I think) while the OLED requires an external memory card to hack it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: _iggyman_
Slim is better in every IMPORTANT way and also better comfort (no propietary charger, more options to expand memory).
The only thing the normal model has over the slim is the screen and that's not important at all (despite what it's supporters will try to make you believe, which is usually their only argument).
Nothing beats being able to charge your Vita with anything, having internal memory for easier hacking and just being able to use any SD just like that.
Heck, you can even try to simulate something closer to the OLED screen with a simple homebrew that alters the graphic values.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cvskid and VatoLoco
Slim is better in every IMPORTANT way and also better comfort (no propietary charger, more options to expand memory).
The only thing the normal model has over the slim is the screen and that's not important at all (despite what it's supporters will try to make you believe, which is usually their only argument).
Nothing beats being able to charge your Vita with anything, having internal memory for easier hacking and just being able to use any SD just like that.
Heck, you can even try to simulate something closer to the OLED screen with a simple homebrew that alters the graphic values.
I wouldn't necessarily say that the slim is better than the fat in most points, since the only pros are the internal memory and the micro usb connection.
In my opinion, the best model is the Fat 3G Vita (PCH-1104) because you can install a psvsd here and thus have the gamecard slot free (or you can also use an sd2vita adapter to have even more storage space).
There are also various USB-C mods for the fat models....... :mthr:
 
I wouldn't necessarily say that the slim is better than the fat in most points, since the only pros are the internal memory and the micro usb connection.
In my opinion, the best model is the Fat 3G Vita (PCH-1104) because you can install a psvsd here and thus have the gamecard slot free (or you can also use an sd2vita adapter to have even more storage space).
There are also various USB-C mods for the fat models....... :mthr:
Plus, the PS Vita Slim has a very cheap plasticky looking feel to it. Similar to the PSP.

bTwAI7b.jpg


It certainly feels more like a PSP successor with that look.
 
Heavily depends on what you value more. I went with a slim vita for the internal memory to hold my hacks, a regular 32gb memory card to hold my PSP games, and an SD2Vita to hold my Vita games. The Slim in particular is of interest to me because the screen will not burn in over time, unlike the fat one. In 15 years the screen on my Slim will still look like it does today, but with a fat one that would most likely not be the case.

However, OLED looks gorgeous so if you don't have a problem with possibly having to replace it down the line once the burn in becomes an issue than that may be the option for you.

Figure out where you own priorities are and base your purchase around that, all versions have their pros and cons and only you're able to know how much any of those matter to you.

EDIT: Important for OLED is also how you use the device. If your play sessions are generally under an hour at a time the burn in will be very slow. My play sessions are usually longer than that, as I ensure I have time for longer ones before playing, so OLED will deteoriate much faster for me than they do for others.
 
The Slim in particular is of interest to me because the screen will not burn in over time, unlike the fat one. In 15 years the screen on my Slim will still look like it does today, but with a fat one that would most likely not be the case.
I got an OLED Vita and despite being 11 years old (that old huh) there's no burn in, so I wouldn't expect it to happen in a few years later either. If that were to happen I'd have already seen it.

Anyway, I prefer to use my 3DS XL to play its library than the Vita, as great as the Vita is it just can't compete with the 3DS, imo.
 
Heavily depends on what you value more. I went with a slim vita for the internal memory to hold my hacks, a regular 32gb memory card to hold my PSP games, and an SD2Vita to hold my Vita games. The Slim in particular is of interest to me because the screen will not burn in over time, unlike the fat one. In 15 years the screen on my Slim will still look like it does today, but with a fat one that would most likely not be the case.

However, OLED looks gorgeous so if you don't have a problem with possibly having to replace it down the line once the burn in becomes an issue than that may be the option for you.

Figure out where you own priorities are and base your purchase around that, all versions have their pros and cons and only you're able to know how much any of those matter to you.

EDIT: Important for OLED is also how you use the device. If your play sessions are generally under an hour at a time the burn in will be very slow. My play sessions are usually longer than that, as I ensure I have time for longer ones before playing, so OLED will deteoriate much faster for me than they do for others.
As long as you don't leave it on for hours with the same image you're fine. I've had mine for a year and no problems. The vita interface moves constantly as well, assisting to prevent screen burn.
When the screen is on but fully black, you may notice something that looks kind of like screen burn, but that doesn't actually resemble any specific image or discernible shapes.
It's not really that big of a deal as it's only noticeable when the screen's completely black......
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marc_LFD
My personal opinion is that the release model is the best by far. The feel when you hold it, and the screen feels much more premium. The disadvantages it have you solve with few products from AliExpress.

As side note, for Playstation products, always go with the release ones. Sony has the habit of crippling it's products on every revision.
 
The main reason you DO NOT want a slim is the touchscreen sensitivity is GIMPED TO HELL. It sucks with rhythm games requiring multi-presses. This is a hardware issue that will never be fixed with a plugin. In contrast, the original vita has a very sensitive touchscreen (I've never used an original.) FUCK SLIM VITA.
 
There's also the PSTV if you want a 'home console' version of the handheld.
My preference (and what I have) is OG OLED handheld & PSTV (both with sd2vita, on Henkaku Enso 3.60) for the best of all worlds.

Once you've owned an OG OLED model the slim feels like a downgrade in almost every respect.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lwiz
I got an OLED Vita and despite being 11 years old (that old huh) there's no burn in, so I wouldn't expect it to happen in a few years later either. If that were to happen I'd have already seen it.

Anyway, I prefer to use my 3DS XL to play its library than the Vita, as great as the Vita is it just can't compete with the 3DS, imo.
As long as you don't leave it on for hours with the same image you're fine. I've had mine for a year and no problems. The vita interface moves constantly as well, assisting to prevent screen burn.
When the screen is on but fully black, you may notice something that looks kind of like screen burn, but that doesn't actually resemble any specific image or discernible shapes.
It's not really that big of a deal as it's only noticeable when the screen's completely black......
I can show you guys what some of my other older OLED devices look like, the way I use them is just murder on the poor displays. But yes, a big part the problem is that I generally trend towards games with very static huds that just aren't good for it long term. 3 hours at a time of TDU with a speedometer and GPS frame permanently visible isn't going to be optimal. Many Vita games do properly account for that and don't have huds like that anymore, but PS1 and PSP are quite of interest to me on them and they don't care about the OLED display.
 
My pre-owned OLED Vita had a few burn in splodges when I first got it, but I ran the screenflasher homebrew app for a little while and they dissappeared and have yet to return... and that was about 5 or 6 years ago. ;)
 
There's also the PSTV if you want a 'home console' version of the handheld.
My preference (and what I have) is OG OLED handheld & PSTV (both with sd2vita, on Henkaku Enso 3.60) for the best of all worlds.

Once you've owned an OG OLED model the slim feels like a downgrade in almost every respect.

This. Although I have USB HDD as the storage on my PSTV :) - Vita Oled for gaming while traveling and PSTV at home.

Ultimately, there aren't that many games in Vita that won't work at all on PSTV, especially if you have PS4 controller paired with it. (Haven't yet tested with my touchpad equipped Nacon controller with usb receiver...)

I've been on Enso 3.65 for a long time now, and can't really see any advantage on being 3.60 anymore - everything I want to run works well on 3.65.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zxr750j
Slim is better in every IMPORTANT way and also better comfort (no propietary charger, more options to expand memory).
The only thing the normal model has over the slim is the screen and that's not important at all (despite what it's supporters will try to make you believe, which is usually their only argument).
Nothing beats being able to charge your Vita with anything, having internal memory for easier hacking and just being able to use any SD just like that.
Heck, you can even try to simulate something closer to the OLED screen with a simple homebrew that alters the graphic values.

Idk mate but having expanded storage and the ability to play retail games makes it so much more useful.
 
get 2000 if you are a hardcore gamer + have enough budget
get the cheapest one if you are tight in budget

1000 or 2000, none of them are perfect
1000: prone to GPU crash when it is overclocked, OLED burn in, OLED mura effect, (also some 1000 OLED can be too bright)
2000: prone to analog sticks drift

there is almost no fix for GPU crash except replacing the main board, oh well someone managed to fix that by resoldering the GPU, but thats not easy.
you can pair a PS4 controller to the Vita to avoid analog sticks drift, on top of that 2000 analog sticks replacements are cheap.

charging port, internal memory, screen color, battery life, weight, are too trivial
which one looks better, is rather subjective
both 1000 & 2000 housing are made from plastic, and I prefer a full black unit & a circle PS button

I have been doing AFK stuff on 2000 usually 150+hours straight (turned off auto-dim, auto-turn-off)
I have done that multiple times now without any worries
I dont think you can pull that off on 1000
early OLED are not that good tbh, and color correctness is more about how the game was developed

1000 are cheaper than 2000 on all trading platforms for reasons
 
Slim is better in every IMPORTANT way and also better comfort (no propietary charger, more options to expand memory).
The only thing the normal model has over the slim is the screen and that's not important at all (despite what it's supporters will try to make you believe, which is usually their only argument).
Nothing beats being able to charge your Vita with anything, having internal memory for easier hacking and just being able to use any SD just like that.
Heck, you can even try to simulate something closer to the OLED screen with a simple homebrew that alters the graphic values

I would say the opposite. The OLED is better in the important ways because the ways in which the Slim is better are easily fixable.

1. Proprietary cord. Easy Fix: Amazon has high-quality replacements.
2. Internal memory. Easy Fix: Japanese eBay sellers sell 4GB cards for $7. SD2Vita also costs around $7.
3. Better comfort. This is completely subjective because I would need a controller grip when playing either Vita.

In contrast, the ways in which the 1000 are better, or can we just say "different," have no easy fix. The device has a heavier, premium feel. The screen is OLED. The sticks are hall effects.

Will everyone prefer it? No. But the Slim's benefits are more just conveniences in my eyes. The fat's benefits are the build quality itself, which can't be easily replicated.

1000: prone to GPU crash when it is overclocked

Could you please provide evidence or an explanation for this? It's my understanding that the Vita GPU is severely underclocked by default. Popular plugins like PSV Shell Plus "overclock" compared to the manufacturer's specifications, but the GPU is still rated up to 0.8 GHz, and most plugins still cap at 0.5 GHz. As I understand it, the only effect it will have is on the battery life.

I'm not an expert, so I want to know for myself and others if you or anyone reading this has evidence for this because this is not a generally accepted fact that 1000 models crash. Otherwise, overclocking plugins would not be so popular.
 

Site & Scene News