Hacking Which MicroSD(HC) for DSTT?

eyescream

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey everyone!

I finally decided to buy a DS and a DSTT along with it after having read over the forums here for quite a while.
Now that I ordered both, the DS and DSTT (which comes with a SanDisk Micro SD Ultra II 2 GB [could also be the normal version, not the Ultra II, have to wait and see I guess..]), I've been wondering whether the bundled MicroSD will be good enough to run games properly.
I went through the forums looking at the different threads about the various MicroSDs out there but I ended up being confused by the different classes of the MicroSDHCs and whether or not to pick a normal MicroSD or a MicroSDHC.

So my question is, will my card suffice?
And if it won't, what card would you recommend?

funkyfranz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your bundled MicroSD should be more than good enough to run your games. There is really no need to get anything bigger than 2gb unless you plan to put 100 games on it (kinda dumb) or start using your DS as a Multimedia device (also kinda dumb).

I bought my DS and DSTT while i was in Japan and i'm using a Japanese Kingston 2gb. It works fantastic and i'm sure your Sandisk will too. I'd probably format the card in FAT to speed up the DSTT menu scrolling (instead of formatting in FAT32) though.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
funkyfranz said:
Your bundled MicroSD should be more than good enough to run your games. There is really no need to get anything bigger than 2gb unless you plan to put 100 games on it (kinda dumb) or start using your DS as a Multimedia device (also kinda dumb).

I bought my DS and DSTT while i was in Japan and i'm using a Japanese Kingston 2gb. It works fantastic and i'm sure your Sandisk will too. I'd probably format the card in FAT to speed up the DSTT menu scrolling (instead of formatting in FAT32) though.

I don't think using more than 2 gig is dumb, and using it as a multimedia isn't dumb as well. Sure, the sound quality of the DS isn't really great, but it's not terrible. With some decent headphones, it's fine. And Just because someone carries more than 2 gigs worth of games, it doesn't make them dumb.

Back on topic, I'll agree with you on the Kingston Micro sd. It's the third fastest (A-data, and parasonic class 6 micro sd/hc) card available, and doesn't let down. Also, Sandisk is a decent card (I know, because I own one myself), but Kingston's micro sds' are better. Make sure it's Kingston Japan, not Taiwan. There are speed differences between them.

eyescream

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I'll just wait and see whether or not the bundled card is good enough to run the games I want to play.
If it's not I'll just play a game the card can handle and get a kingston as soon as possible. (any way to make sure it's from japan apart from checking when in the store?)

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
eyescream said:
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I'll just wait and see whether or not the bundled card is good enough to run the games I want to play.
If it's not I'll just play a game the card can handle and get a kingston as soon as possible. (any way to make sure it's from japan apart from checking when in the store?)
There are stores that says. The one I recommend is DealExtreme, for they sell genuine Japanese kingston micro sd's, for only 12 bucks for a 2 gig. But they ship very slowly, so you gotta be patient.

eyescream

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ah, that's good to know.
Guess I'll just order one there while I play games my bundled card supports (when it finally arrives..)

KefRayBa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
I bought Kingston SDHC Class4 4GB recently and it works just fine. I got it at 850 baht (28.3$) compare to Sandisk which is class 2 and cost 40$

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: $6 for 2 pounds though shits expensive