Hacking Which Flashcard?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When people say that GW is just a DRM thing and drains battery life, is there a way to by pass it then?
Like not using the GW cards?

The card DRAINS QUITE A BIT OF BATTERY AND YOU CAN GET OVER 20% LONGER BATTERY LIFE IF YOU DON'T USE IT [1].
If you use emunand and CIAs for gaming, you just need the card to enter Gateway mode in emunand.
Afterwards you can unplug it, preventing the piece of DRM to drain more battery, and playing the games from the 3DS's SD storage.
Anyway, even if GW is just a piece of DRM, using the DRM protected software provided by GW (launcher.dat) allows you to do many more things than with Sky3DS.
Sky3DS is NOT the way to go, unless you have FW over 9.2.

[1] Sarkwalvein 2014: Several test performed on 3DS XL measuring battery life on different gaming conditions.

PS: As far as I know Sky3DS also drains additional battery, but I haven't tested it.

Reactions: Margen67

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
CFW can do whatever Gateway can.

I'm secretly hoping that the KARL3DS project devs release the damn thing and then some talented hacker removes the signature patches that prevent unsigned CIAs to run.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's quite simple really.

If you're on firmware 9.2 or below, get a Gateway. You can do more with the card and can still use the latest 9.7 firmware using EmuNAND.

If you're on firmware 9.3 or above then your decision is already made for you - you can only use Sky3DS and its clones.

ThemBats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The card DRAINS QUITE A BIT OF BATTERY AND YOU CAN GET OVER 20% LONGER BATTERY LIFE IF YOU DON'T USE IT [1].
If you use emunand and CIAs for gaming, you just need the card to enter Gateway mode in emunand.
Afterwards you can unplug it, preventing the piece of DRM to drain more battery, and playing the games from the 3DS's SD storage.
Anyway, even if GW is just a piece of DRM, using the DRM protected software provided by GW (launcher.dat) allows you to do many more things than with Sky3DS.
Sky3DS is NOT the way to go, unless you have FW over 9.2.

[1] Sarkwalvein 2014: Several test performed on 3DS XL measuring battery life on different gaming conditions.

PS: As far as I know Sky3DS also drains additional battery, but I haven't tested it.

Ok so no matter how I cut it I need to purchase the gateway cards to enter the gateway mode(going to the website thing) and after I did that I can just take it out till the next time my 3ds shuts down?

D

Deleted-355425

i don't understand the issue people have with a cart draining battery, plug it back in to the wall socket.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't understand the issue people have with a cart draining battery, plug it back in to the wall socket.
Yeah, also people have been complaining about the draining thing since the GBA days if not earlier, with much debate about how bad it is if at all. It's not a new argument and really shouldn't have a bearing on picking one device over the other. If you care that much about the power issue, you may be better off if sticking to retail carts or eshop downloads.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, also people have been complaining about the draining thing since the GBA days if not earlier, with much debate about how bad it is if at all. It's not a new argument and really shouldn't have a bearing on picking one device over the other. If you care that much about the power issue, you may be better off if sticking to retail carts or eshop downloads.
My understanding is the gateway does not participate in the 3DS power saving modes so it continuously drains. A simple fix is the eject it. Problem solved.

D

Deleted User

I think Sky3DS is better if you have 9.7 (and a little bit lower, too.) since you can'tu CFWs with Gateway when you have a more recent firmware.
9.2 or lower, go Gateway or Sky3DS. It doesn't really matter if all you're doing is running pirated or backup games.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok so no matter how I cut it I need to purchase the gateway cards to enter the gateway mode(going to the website thing) and after I did that I can just take it out till the next time my 3ds shuts down?

Yes, if you install games as CIA.
I think Sky3DS is better if you have 9.7 (and a little bit lower, too.) since you can'tu CFWs with Gateway when you have a more recent firmware.
9.2 or lower, go Gateway or Sky3DS. It doesn't really matter if all you're doing is running pirated or backup games.

I agree, unless you may want to play modified/translated out of region games or eshop games.

Reactions: Deleted User

freeza

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS. Much easier to use and less hassle. Online works fine if you research and follow instructions. The blue button is annoying when you have a lot of games but it's not the end of the world

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sky3DS. Much easier to use and less hassle. Online works fine if you research and follow instructions. The blue button is annoying when you have a lot of games but it's not the end of the world

The difference in ease of use isn't nearly as big as you make it out to be.
Sure, with GW you have to launch the exploit every time you turn on your 3DS and you want to play a ROM. But this only takes a few seconds and from there you can just leave the 3DS on, and switch games easily however many times you want. Plus games are drag & drop unlike with the Sky3DS.
To me drag & drop support, being able to easily and quickly switch games and actually being able to see what game you're launching when you use out of region games makes the GW easier, and a lot more convenient.

Reactions: Deleted User

cocoPika

Trophies
Website
sky3dsnewsinformation.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Since you're on firmware 9.5, Sky3DS is your only option (unless you get another 3DS with 9.2 firmware or less).

I'll put some pros and cons of each anyway since you asked:

Sky3DS:
Pros:
- Supports all firmwares.
- Plug and play (no need to launch an exploit).

Cons:
- No ability to rip your own roms.
- No homebrew support.
- Must press button to cycle through each game (much slower than Gateway's rom menu).
- No support for modified roms.
- Not region free (Note: regionthree/regionfour will allow the Sky3DS to play out of region games).

Some functions should be corrected in your sum:
That SKY3DS can support homebrew on 4.0-9.2 with the Ninjahax,
Also support Eshop and region free. you can find some video that proved these

wheato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a SKY3DS and I love it. All I wanted to do was play 3ds games,and SKY3DS does just that. I wasn't bothered about the region locking, as all the games I want to play have been released in my region. With RegionFOUR you can play games from any region, so the initial region lock isn't an issue anyway.

The blue button really isn't an issue, unless you're inpatient. It takes a bit less than 10 seconds to switch from one game to the next. If you have 31 games on your MicroSD card and want to get from the first game to the last, it's only about 5 minutes of game skipping. I know it sounds like a lot, but you can skip through the games even while you're doing something else on the console. So, go do your Streetpass stuff while you're skipping through the games, and you won't even notice that it's taken you 5 minutes.

All in all, I am very happy with my SKY3DS. All I need now is to make a custom template so I can play online, then it'll be perfect for me. It's a shame I haven't got a private header thing to do that with, but I'll get one eventually.

cocoPika

Trophies
Website
sky3dsnewsinformation.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
The difference in ease of use isn't nearly as big as you make it out to be.
Sure, with GW you have to launch the exploit every time you turn on your 3DS and you want to play a ROM. But this only takes a few seconds and from there you can just leave the 3DS on, and switch games easily however many times you want. Plus games are drag & drop unlike with the Sky3DS.
To me drag & drop support, being able to easily and quickly switch games and actually being able to see what game you're launching when you use out of region games makes the GW easier, and a lot more convenient.

Though drag & drop is easy, but every time use the GW need to launch the exploite really feels not good. But for SKY3DS once you write the game into the SD card, you can just put the sky3ds into your console and play games directly as the genuine game card does every time, doesn't this feel great?

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
Though drag & drop is easy, but every time use the GW need to launch the exploite really feels not good. But for SKY3DS once you write the game into the SD card, you can just put the sky3ds into your console and play games directly as the genuine game card does every time, doesn't this feel great?

yea, but we spend losing time in writing games using diskwriter and switching games. gw is more convenient especially when playing multi region games. i use sky3ds but after gw support new3ds i use gw and put sky3ds into rest. it really annoying playing cross region games using sky3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1