Which Flashcard?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by rayanjn, May 11, 2015.

1. rayanjn
    OP

rayanjn Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    Netherlands
    Which flashcard should I get: Gateway or Sky3ds? What are both pros and cons. Right now I have version 9.5.0-22. Will Gateway ever update it and which flashcard keeps updating so it match my version?
    Thanks in advance :]

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    For now your only option is sky3ds gateway won't support anything higher than 9.2 anytime soon.

3. BobDoleOwndU

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    Since you're on firmware 9.5, Sky3DS is your only option (unless you get another 3DS with 9.2 firmware or less).

I'll put some pros and cons of each anyway since you asked:

Gateway:
    Pros:
    - Easy to navigate rom menu.
    - Supports homebrew.
    - Supports modified roms.
    - Supports ripping roms from games.
    - Region free.

Cons:
    - Must launch an exploit to use every time (a minor inconvenience).
    - Requires 9.2 or lower firmware.

Sky3DS:
    Pros:
    - Supports all firmwares.
    - Plug and play (no need to launch an exploit).

Cons:
    - No ability to rip your own roms.
    - No homebrew support.
    - Must press button to cycle through each game (much slower than Gateway's rom menu).
    - No support for modified roms.
    - Not region free (Note: regionthree/regionfour will allow the Sky3DS to play out of region games).

Margen67 and ravihpa like this.
  4. rayanjn
    OP

rayanjn Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    Netherlands
    Aww damn it sounds that gateaways is way better but I cause I have to go with SKY3DS Thanks guys.
    Ooh few question what do you mean with modified roms and ripping roms.

5. BobDoleOwndU

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    Modified roms are games that somebody has modified the files of (example: changing the models in a game, a Pokemon randomizer, etc...). Ripping roms just means extracting the game from the cartridge into a rom file.

6. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    Basically.
    You're on 9.5, all you can do is get a Sky3DS now.

7. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Here are a few more cons for Gateway:

Cons:
    - Must launch an exploit to use every time (a minor inconvenience).
    - Requires 9.2 or lower firmware.
    - SuperStable 3D effect (N3DS) is seriously messed up unless you close flip and then flip it open, every time you start emuNAND.
    - The battery drains quicker, and people recommend that you install the games as CIA to the internal microSD card (yeah, then what's the fricken point of the Gateway's microSD slot then if all the games are not ran from it?), after which you should remove the GW cartridge.
    - The GW cartridge is just a stupid DRM dongle at this point (http://gbatemp.net/threads/is-the-gw-card-just-an-expensive-drm-dongle.387239/]link[/url]), since people can run emuNAND without the fricken thing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PNd2bEDhM]link[/url]). A DRM dongle that drains battery life.
    - Updates take for-EVER! GateWAIT, soon, etc.

8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    The point of the microSD slot in GW is to load BBB.3ds and install BBB.cia in emunand, after that you can desolder it, burn it, sell it, put it into the microwave, whatever you want.
    The GW cartridge is just a stupid DRM dongle at this point. True and sad.
    soon. Better soon™ than never having eShop support, translated roms support, modded roms support, etc.

Anyway the two latter disadvantages would be fixed if someone releases a very open up to date CFW, that will sure happen the same day GW works on FW above 9.2.

Margen67 likes this.
  9. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    I think you still need the stupid thing every time you power off the device. The "Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile" exploit calls out Launcher.dat, which checks for the GW cartridge - and even BRICKS your 3DS if you have a clone (WTF, Gateway!). Add that to the cons! GW's software contains bricking code placed there ON PURPOSE. How can you trust a company (or group, whatever you wanna call them) like that???

But anyway, this is not about GW. The original poster's question was which one to get, when clearly only one option (and its clones) work above FW 9.2.

Sky3DS has additional cons too:

- No ability to rip your own roms.
    - No homebrew support.
    - Must press button to cycle through each game (much slower than Gateway's rom menu).
    - No support for modified roms.
    - Not region free (Note: regionthree/regionfour will allow the Sky3DS to play out of region games).
    - Absolutely NO way to create your own template file and need to wait for them to release one (meaning if they bail tomorrow the card would be useless for future games).
    - The shit they tried to pull with their 10-game limit. That says a lot about them.

10. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Yes, that is true. You don't need the microSD slot, your SPI circuit can be fried and broken... It doesn't matter, as long as you have the useless-for-anything-other-than-DRM FPGA inside the GW you can pass through the launcher.dat DRM check. As I said, true and sad.

Margen67 likes this.
  11. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    GW is a better product in every way and that's a fact! Those who say Sky id better are either a butthurt Sky fanboy who can't use a GW card or just plain ignorant. The only downside of using GW is that it's tethered to a specific firmware version. By buying a GW card you not only pay less but you save more due to the fact that a cia game is roughly twice or even more as small as a ROM thus resulting more games on a single SD card which derivates into you not needing to buy a bigger SD card. Furthermore, you can use your GW card on more than one 3DS at the same time which again saves money especially if you're a parent who owns more than one 3ds. You can also play safely online without the risk of you getting banned. DLC's, updates, homebrew and much more is possible via the GW card unlike Sky which offers one single thing - to be able to play a rom.

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet

Check signature before you call anyone a fanboy.

I support both cards. I own them both. Guess which I use on a day to day basis? It's not my Gateway system. The ban issue affected everyone the problem was people didn't modify the templates Sky3DS was releasing which included the Unique ID's embedded into the file. It's a non-issue today. You are playing GW fanboy in your post. Yes Sky3DS does one thing, plays roms. Gateway isn't even required, it's just DRM put in by the company. If someone could dump the unencrypted payload we would have zero need for the GW.

13. rayanjn
    OP

rayanjn Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    Netherlands
    alright thanks guys but what doyou think I should do wait for Gateway or just but SKY3DS?

14. BobDoleOwndU

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    Gateway may never support firmwares greater than 9.2, so if you want something you can use guaranteed, get a Sky3DS. Alternatively you could sell your current 3DS and get another one with 9.2 firmware or less and get a Gateway if you want the features Gateway offers.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    NO. You DO NOT gateWAIT. Otherwise you will become mentally unstable quite SOON™.
    Do not enter the game please.

thorasgar likes this.
  16. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet

He could also buy Sky3DS now and get a Gatewait if it ever supports higher firmware :P

BobDoleOwndU likes this.
  17. guitarheroknight

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    I wasn't talking to you. GW may be a DRM but the fact is it's a superior product and you can deny it all you want., it won't change a single thing.

Margen67 likes this.
  18. LurkerA

LurkerA ㊣New3DS

Apr 8, 2010
    United States
    Just go for a sky3DS, you will be happy with it!

19. ThemBats

ThemBats Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2014
    When people say that GW is just a DRM thing and drains battery life, is there a way to by pass it then?
    Like not using the GW cards?

Margen67 likes this.
  20. guitarheroknight

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    GW doesnt drain battery at all- The card is just used to enter emunand after that you can do with it wathever you want.

Margen67 likes this.