Which flash cart should I get?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by rpower1, Jan 28, 2012.

Jan 28, 2012
  1. rpower1
    OP

Newcomer rpower1 Newbie

United States
    Hi,
    I have a DS phat & a DSi XL. I am looking to buy a flash cart for each of them. I would like to have these features: play games (of course), use cheats, and save states. Don't really need music or video playback. I know that the supercard dstwo has these features but I heard that it drains the battery alot. So I was wondering, is there any other cart that have these features but won't drain the battery as much?

And also, since I don't have a credit card, do you think it would be safe to send the payment as a money order?

Thanks in advance.

2. wasim

Member wasim ♫ Music addict ♫

India
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DSTwo's battery drain isn't all that you may think it is.
    http://gbatemp.net/t289020-the-ultimate-ds-battery-test-thread-in-the-world

It's the one I suggest for save state stuff (but beware, it's not totally perfect on any cart).

4. Majorami

Banned Majorami Banned

United States
    DSTwo is the only one to my knowledge that comes with a CPU chip. This chip allows it to emulate GameBoy Advance games in NDS mode, as well as ability to play the higher quality AVI file. And sure, when these are in use, you'd be correct in thinking the battery would be drained faster.

But outside of emulation, its not that much different in battery compared to other carts.

Anyways, other than that, alot of flashcarts offer the samefeatures you're looking for. Pretty much all of them do games, most of them do cheat engines, and alot of them support Save/Load states. Though State/Load state isn't really perfected. Theres often a 5-10% chance that saving or loading a game save will freeze/lock up your game. I'd say that games with 3D engines are riskier, though it helps to Pause before Save/Load state.

Anyways, many flashcarts other than DSTwo does offer what you're looking for. Pretty much any DSi-working flashcart to be precise. And they do have the potential themselves to play media. Through homebrew, all flashcarts do MP3, and through moonshell they gain video playback.

So rather than give you a specific name on what to get, just go to an online shop, pick a DSi-compatible cart, and choose the brand yourself as they all offer what you want.

1 person likes this.
  5. wasim

Member wasim ♫ Music addict ♫

India
    Well, there's another one too called iSmartMM which is almost as good as DS2 ( based on power ).
    I think iplayer got on board CPU too.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Very few decent carts do save state. Like, 3 on the list last I checked, and one of those I'm not even sure on.

7. Themanhunt

Member Themanhunt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    SupercardDSTWO anyday, if you have the cash ofc.

8. rpower1
    OP

Newcomer rpower1 Newbie

United States
    Ok, thanks for the help. Does anyone know of a good reliable site to order from that is based in the US and accepts money orders?

And also would it be ok to use a DSTwo with a DS phat?