Which console had the best homebrew scene?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by PaiiNSteven, Nov 8, 2016.

?

Which console had the best homebrew scene?

1. Gameboy Advance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DS

16.4%
  3. 3DS

31.5%
  4. PSP

38.4%
  5. PS Vita

2.7%
  6. Other (comment)

1.4%
  7. Wii

24.7%
  8. Wii U

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Xbox

9.6%
  10. Xbox 360

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PaiiNSteven
    OP

PaiiNSteven Newbie

Just want to see what everyones opinion is.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The vita is ongoing, and some would argue the 3ds is as well (has no games and is beaten soundly by contemporary devices). Also your poll I guess but no original xbox on that list?

Also I suppose is left to the responder's opinion but is best emulators (what most seem to want when they speak of homebrew), media players (got to love XBMC), things like Linux (having an embedded Linux device which goes into your TV or your pocket was a big draw at one point), or actual homebrew (what many others enjoy, I certainly did for the GBA and DS, as it did some wonderful things that would never have happened in commercial world and otherwise did not happen in commercial world for whatever reason).

Seriel and VinLark like this.
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Xbox.

Amazing scene back in the day

Voxel and KiiWii like this.
  4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Of that list PSP:

Spent so many months with my 1.00 PSP playing emulators, loading (hook) firmware, GTA exploits, ahh fond memories.

Original Xbox had XBMC and some amazing emulators!

GameCube had SDML and PSOloader, N64 injects...

PS2 has openloader, HDD, snes

Wii had a lot of tasty homebrew: Not64 and WiiMC being highlights.

5. kapapt

kapapt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Portugal
    whell, you are missing a lot of consoles... but if were talking only on handheld consoles ps vita and 3ds are on the top

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i will say psp, because we had plenty of homebrews since a complete cfw.
    cfw on the psp added themes on the console before sony started to suppor themes
    we could do a really lot with cfw.. including instead mounting the MS card to usb, it could mount the firmware file system or the umd disc as a iso (thats right, the console emulated a flash memory with an iso inside, so you could copy your games very easily)
    then there was the apps we had calculator, irshell, media players. psp is still concideered one of the most popular emulation machines..
    psp could stream video and audio to the pc and we could even play on pc using this method, it was not that good but it was something cool...

while most of the consoles was about getting piracy, psp achieving this early and easily available, it had plenty of other stuff

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You would rate 3ds homebrew over all the DS had to offer? Is there a whole load of things I missed out there or something ( http://pdroms.de/news/nintendo-3ds/ seems fairly accurate and reasonably complete)? The DS had loads of nice ports and remakes, original games, utilities and more besides. The 3ds thus far seems to mainly be a few emulators eclipsed by loads of other contemporary devices (and for general polish the PSP and DS come out on top) and some basic, if nice to have, utilities.

Seriel and VinLark like this.
  8. kapapt

kapapt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Portugal
    @FAST6191 yes because you can play all ds games / homebrew on your 3ds.

9. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    I presume this is handheld consoles only?

The best homebrew scene by far on any console was on the original Xbox. Projects that started on the Xbox still live on today, Kodi for example.

Handheld consoles i'd probably say the PSP.

10. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    the psp . easy to inastall cfw . lots of homebrews and features .

11. vpd

vpd GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2009
    For console's, the original Xbox and the Dreamcast had the best homebrew scenes.

For handhelds, it's the PSP.

12. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    No Wii?

Ryccardo likes this.
  13. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    The lack of Wii yet inclusion of the PSP and GBA is bizarre.

Anyway, based on current scenes - I'd say the Vita scene is the most active and exciting right now. taiHENkaku should bring about revolutionary developments, as will Adrenaline. The 3DS scene is the most 'mature' scene given that we have coldboot CFW these days, but things are slowing down on the homebrew side. The Wii U scene has the potential to take off - Retroarch this week has brought homebrew forward so much, but we're all waiting on the IOSU developments.

The PS3 scene is well developed too, but also the least accessible due to requiring ancient firmware.

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Voted DS between the limited options and the fact I'm Nintendo only since 2003, but what satisfied me most was the Wii one (I swear I had over 5 pages of non-system-utility apps in the HBC)

Not betting on this tbh, for most "simple" apps (game ports, emulators, twitter clients, ...) the kernel exploit is enough, but in practice...

15. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    PSP; it's why I came to this place in the first place. So much cool hombrew and emulators on the go for the first time(for me) was sweet.

16. PaiiNSteven
    OP

PaiiNSteven Newbie

I've edited the poll and given everyone a second vote. Wii I assumed was in there before and I never really thought about Xbox (not alot of my home consoles are hacked at all, but very interesting.)

Last edited Nov 8, 2016
  17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Dreamcast

vpd likes this.
  18. SonicCloud

SonicCloud a crybaby <3.

Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere
    In my opinion , Wii and 3DS has been the best so far n///n
    I cannot comment on PS and Xbox as i've never hacked a PS console and i never had an Xbox console

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If you are going that way the sure, give or take troubles with the GBA on it. I was thinking more "what console's homebrew scene did you think was the best when it was still active/current?". Going by that the 3ds is pretty weak really from where I sit.

With that in mind then for most that probably reduces it to DS, PSP, Wii or Xbox; I am not sure anything could mount a convincing challenge to any of those, unless you are going to bring in the Amiga or something or are solely concerned with copied games. Maybe GBA if you made I "I enjoyed it the most because of the people" (there was some great homebrew at the time for it, still even plays great today http://gbatemp.net/threads/links-to-various-gbatemp-features-over-the-years.352851/ but in terms of volume it is not good), and I guess I could entertain the DC (some fantastic things made in the years since) and PS3 (it was unpolished but you could get it done).

20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    the original Xbox has to win hands down, the fact xbmc became a household name (despite now being rebranded kodi...*tut damn devs snubbing their origins, at least jenny knows were she came from :rofl:)

but yeah Xbox had a pretty cool homebrew scene, psp would be a pretty close second for active scenes with lots of new developments but it was mostly just emulators or roms, good but not on the scale of the Xbox ^_^