Hacking Where to get small game-icons for the GUI?

markpenner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there

I still don't have my R4, but, as far as I know, it is able to display those nice little icons, that come with some rom releases, just like the DS-X.

My question is: Where can I get icons like those, if no one is bundled with the used rom. I already used Google and Altavista image-search but the needed size (32x32, isn't it?) is very rare.

Of course, I could make an icon myself, but I don't think that it would become very good-looking. The problem I am thinking of is th following: When you just take a packshot and resize it to 32x32 Pixels, you probably wouldn't recognize it anymore, because it would be a too complex image for too less pixels.
Because of this, all rom-icons I have seen so far show a simple thing or charakter form the game, with a 1-color background and still look good.
Here is an example (the corresponding game is Electroplankton):
electroplankton.png

I know, that this isn't very important, but i just love it, when every game has its own icon in the flashcart's GUI.

Tanks in advance

MarkPenner

PS: Sorry for my poor English, the rather stupid question and for not finding a proper category for this (i chose the R4 category because I am going to use the icons with an R4)

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Every game should have it's own icon by default. The icon is actually coded into the rom, not "bundled" with it. Put the rom on the card and it'll automatically be detected and shown. If for whatever reason you still need the icons in an image format (offlinelist, website, etc.) look here: (link)

markpenner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's Great! I didn't think of the possibility that these icons could be already inside the rom, because that leaves no good reason for some icons to be bundled with the roms.
As you can see, I am a total newbie and the R4 will also be my first cart.

Anyways, thank you for the (very) fast and informative answer!

Bye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM