Hacking Where to buy a DSTT?

nightclaws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've been lookin around and I was just wondering where the best place to buy a dstt?
I've seen some sites but I dunno if they're the best and the cheapest.
I also wanted the package to include :
* DSTT with plastic case
* GBA & Explorer pak
* Rumble pak
* SDHC compliant card reader
* DS Lite USB charger
* Installation CD

thanks in advance
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
nightclaws said:
Hi, I've been lookin around and I was just wondering where the best place to buy a dstt?
I've seen some sites but I dunno if they're the best and the cheapest.
I also wanted the package to include :
* DSTT with plastic case
* GBA & Explorer pak
* Rumble pak
* SDHC compliant card reader
* DS Lite USB charger
* Installation CD

thanks in advance
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

I pretty much doubt you'll get all that in one package, specially the USB charger. DSTT only sell the stripped down version which comes without USB reader. I'm not sure they ever came with a CD.

You can still pick up the boxed version but it comes with a high chance of it being a clone.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your best bet if you're sold on the DSTT is to get it and an EZFlash 3-in-1 from dealextreme.com.

I'd recommend the Acekard 2 and EZFlash 3-in-1 (also from dealextreme.com) -- it's a better choice for most people than the DSTT.

The AK2 has in-menu support for the 3-in-1 whereas you'll need to use GBA ExpLoader with the DSTT.

-Bri

nightclaws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ooo. alrightyy thanks
i just saw a DSTT review with all those things included so i was just curious if i could get one with all that
is it true that the boxed version of the DSTT or TTDS is not selling anymore?
do they really only come in the single plastic packaging?

what's the main differences between the Acekard 2 and DSTT?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the DSTT is only currently sold in the plastic packaging without a microSD reader. There may be a version that has a microSD reader included, but that may just be a bundle that dealextreme.com puts together.

The DSTT lacks several important features that nearly every other flash cart has, including the ability to view folders and the ability to sort games alphabetically in the menu (ROMs are displayed in one big list, and are in a random order).

The DSTT is a little sturdier than that Acekard 2, but that's about the only advantage I can think of. The Acekard 2 has too many advantages over the DSTT to list, including having one of the most elegant and most responsive menus available on any flash cart at any price. Because the Acekard 2 is only a few dollars difference in price than the DSTT, the Acekard 2 is a far better choice for most people.

The DSTT might be a little better for kids because it's a little sturder and it can't display folders so the interface might be slightly easier to use for smaller kids who would have trouble navigating menus.

-Bri

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
The DSTT lacks several important features that nearly every other flash cart has, including the ability to view folders and the ability to sort games alphabetically in the menu (ROMs are displayed in one big list, and are in a random order).

-Bri
You could at least mention that YSMenu fixes taht xD

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The sorting of ROMs really isnt a big issue, just use drivesort or some other app to sort them before taking the microSD out of your PC and they will be in proper order on the cart.

Takes all of 5 seconds to do.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Diablo1123 said:
Bri said:

-Bri
You could at least mention that YSMenu fixes taht xD

Yes, that's true. But YSMenu isn't particularly pretty, doesn't make good use of the touch screen, and I think has some problems with download play (maybe those were fixed in more recent versions). YSMenu isn't even close to the Acakard 2 menu or AKAIO (a custom menu for the Acekard 2). YSMenu also happens to run on the Acekard 2.

In other words, my point stands -- for most people the Acekard 2 is a much better choice than the DSTT. The DSTT's main (only?) advantage would be with the official menu for kids who have difficulty navigating folders.

By the way, the DSTT was my first flash cart and for a long time my only flash cart, so I have absolutely nothing against it. When it was by far the cheapest cart on the block, I recommended it to folks who didn't want to make the investment in a more expensive cart but still wanted a decent flash cart. I still recommend it for kids for its sturdiness and simple menu system. It's just that the Acekard 2 is so much better for most people and is in a similar price range.

QUOTE(Count Duckula @ Nov 5 2008, 01:55 AM)
The sorting of ROMs really isnt a big issue, just use drivesort or some other app to sort them before taking the microSD out of your PC and they will be in proper order on the cart.

Takes all of 5 seconds to do.

Just an extra step that every other flash cart does automatically.

-Bri

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
nightclaws said:
Ohh.. I see
so the only main advantage an Acekard 2 has over a DSTT is the organization quality?

ak2 is a much better choice, especially if you're using akaio, some advantages are:
  • much better looking and easier skinning
  • native 3in1 support
  • update cheat list through wifi
  • extremely speedy menu

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nightclaws said:
Ohh.. I see
so the only main advantage an Acekard 2 has over a DSTT is the organization quality?

That's the main advantage of ANY flash cart over the DSTT. Almost all flash carts nowadays will sort the ROMs alphabetically and will allow you to navigate folders.

The Acekard 2 has too many additional advantages to mention. Suffice it to say that the Acekard 2 has one of the most elegant and responsive menus of ANY flash cart for about the same price as the DSTT.

Really the ONLY advantage I can think of that the DSTT might have over the Acekard 2 is that it's a little sturdier. So the DSTT might be a better cart for smaller kids due to its sturdiness and its menu's lack of folders.

-Bri

svnelvn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm currently using dstt with ysmenu and it works wonders with ezflash 3-in-1
ysmenu shows folders just fine, roms are arranged alphabetically, it has fast scrolling like the r4, rumble works, and it boots right into gba games without the need of any other software

nightclaws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha uhm.. i'm kinda new to this whole thing and i just found out about the dstt a week ago.
what's a YS Menu and i've heard about the EZ 3 in 1 but i never knew what it did, besides add RAM to your nintendo ds

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The EZFlash 3-in-1 is a slot 2 GBA expansion cart. It's similar to the eWin 2-in-1 expansion cart that used to come bundled with the DSTT. Both of these expansion carts allow you to play GBA games stored on your slot 1 cart's microSD card, and both work as extra memory required by the Opera browser. The EZFlash 3-in-1 also has a crappy rumble built in.

YSMenu is a custom menu by Yasu that works with the DSTT, Acekard 2, SCDS1, and R4 flash carts. Its interface looks pretty much like the R4 menu (that is to say, it doesn't have a particularly nice interface). For the DSTT, YSMenu supports folders and sorts ROMs alphabetically, unlike the official menu. It also supports the EZFlash 3-in-1 and eWin 2-in-1 directly from the menu (you can run a GBA game or the browser just by clicking on them). The menu system that comes with the DSTT cannot run GBA games or the browser -- instead you have to use another program called GBA ExpLoader to load GBA games or to run the browser.

Again, my argument was that the Acekard 2 has a much better menu than any menu available for the DSTT for about the same price. Those who are saying "yeah, but YSMenu gets around some of the shortcomings of the DSTT menu" are missing the point. YSMenu can run on the Acekard 2 as well, but nobody ever does that because the menu systems made for the Acekard 2 are so much better than YSMenu.

-Bri

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dealextreme.com definatly, i bought mine a few days ago (still pending). Incredibly cheap, you wont find a price lower than that (10.70$ last time i checked) with free delivery worldwide and it's in stock as we speak. Easy and quick transaction aswell, with automated refund capabilities if you were to change your mind.

fathawg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is being able to browse the folders an advantage? I bought my DSTT to play games and that is what it does !!!! Thats all I want it to do and it does it flawlessly every time. As far as the menu goes, who cares if AK2 looks better. I personally am on the menu for 5-10 seconds before I choose another game to play. IF YOU WANT A FLASH CART TO PLAY GAMES, GET A DSTT. THATS WHAT IT DOES. And DX is a good choice to buy from, that is where we got the 4 we have!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, ALL FLASH CARTS PLAY GAMES. So the argument (in all caps no less) "IF YOU WANT A FLASH CART TO PLAY GAMES, GET A DSTT. THATS WHAT IT DOES." is a little silly.

The AK2 menu not only looks better, it has many useful features that the DSTT menu doesn't have, including the ability to sort ROMs alphabetically. Try finding a game stored on a full 8GB microSDHC card on your DSTT in the unsorted menu and you'll see how useful that can be. In addition, it can back up save files, has multiple save slots, has direct support for GBA, and lots and lots of other useful features.

To answer your question of why folders are useful, I like to keep my stuff organized. I like to have my homebrew applications separate from my games, for example.

In addition, because the DSTT doesn't support folders and because the DSTT reads the files as it scrolls, the DSTT menu scrolls very slowly when you get lots and lots of files on your microSD card -- particularly with larger microSDHC cards that can have hundreds of files. The AK2 menu is extremely responsive even if you happen to have all your files in the same folder because it reads the files in the current folder before displaying them.

Again, considering that the AK2 is about the same cost as the DSTT, the only advantage I can think of that the DSTT has is that it's a little sturdier and it might be a little easier for kids who have a hard time navigating folders.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s