Hacking Where did Gateway go wrong?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
gateway had their pie and im sure they got everything they wanted, they held a monopoly over 3ds piracy for nearly a year and held the keys to all the newest and coolest features for nearly 2, tbh i think they had a good run it took people long enough to decrypt their shit and integrate it with free alternatives, im sure gateway are more than happy with their takings and any support they add now is imho simply just a sign of respect their customers, at this point im sure their sales are just a trickle of what they once were, so i can forgive them for not giving new features 100% of their effort, anyone seriously thinking GW would be bothered pouring more time and resources into a platform that has already had its carcass picked bare is delusional

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having a bit of a hard time finding where I said that its sole use was piracy. Care to help me out?
Short answer:
They demanded money to enable piracy.

If you're going to seriously argue hair-thin semantics. You stated they demanded money to enable piracy, I was pointing out that they didn't, but Sky3DS did.

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest, I'd take a Sky3DS over a Gateway, since Sky3DS works on any FW, whereas Gateway requires 9.2 anyway (at which point I might as well get a free CFW)

Yeah now-a-days I guess ... I just don't like the idea of buying something that's sole use is piracy. I mainly use my Gateway for the cheats haha.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent argument. I'll file it under ignored.
Okay, so what you're arguing is that, because their cartridge enables piracy but ALSO enables the use of homebrew, they didn't demand payment for a piracy solution.
Or are you upset that I never claimed it was EXCLUSIVELY for piracy, like you claimed I did?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sm7_facepalm.gif
this thread, its almost as if people didn't know that everyone already knows gateway is pretty much redundant at this point. like OMG GUYS GUESS WHAT??????!???! tjere is FREE! CFW WTFTWTFTWT!

D

Deleted User

sm7_facepalm.gif
this thread, its almost as if people didn't know that everyone already knows gateway is pretty much redundant at this point. like OMG GUYS GUESS WHAT??????!???! tjere is FREE! CFW WTFTWTFTWT!
WHAT?
FREE CFW?
THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
WHAT?
FREE CFW?
THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!
RALLLY ITS LIKE ANY ONE ON 9.2 CAN RUN ON THE LIMABEANCFW WWOOOOWWW:hrth::hrth::hrth::hrth:

But seriously, to sum it all up imo, gateway messed up at 3 points

1. the brick code backfiring (sure you can argue bricking is bad, but the only way it damaged them was it hit their own customers)

2. not admitting and rectifying bricked legit owners and removing the 2.0b2 FW faster

3. using the word "soon" too loosely

Last edited by gamesquest1,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I thought they forked ReiNAND to make the Supercard CFW so you wouldn't brick when emulating Gateway?
be that as it may, they took actual code from a free cfw and re-branded it as their own and didn't offer any credits , yet gateway get a lot of hate for just copying an idea and making their own version of it :rolleyes:

Roomsaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
be that as it may, they took actual code from a free cfw and re-branded it as their own and didn't offer any credits , yet gateway get a lot of hate for just copying an idea and making their own version of it :rolleyes:
As I'm not too familiar with Supercard in general, did they actually not credit it as originally being ReiNAND? I guess (almost) no flashcard companies are too innocent...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
As I'm not too familiar with Supercard in general, did they actually not credit it as originally being ReiNAND? I guess (almost) no flashcard companies are too innocent...
not sure if they have since but the first release was just put out as their own work and people took a quick look and seen it was heavily based on reinand, afaik they first version didn't even work properly either :P

but yeah, no flashcard makers/devs are innocent (except for authorized flashcard makers :P)
nintendo, making ethical flashcards since 1985
CTR-008.jpg

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1