Hacking Where did Gateway go wrong?

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you see almost every hack starts out with a mod-chip. Like we use R4i to play DS, but now there is a DS emulator (even though it's slow). We slowly upgrade from physical things to virtual files. It's always gonna be this way. Every mod chip eventually dies down to no more production or just clones.

Reactions: Deleted User

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't switch them often. But another good thing about the card is trimming roms. I can't trim a cia install and if I can then that literally beats my reason for using this card.
CIAs are already trimmed versions of the gamecard image that is in its original state filled up to be a multiple of 2.
The real killer feature is that nowadays you hardly have a reason to go to the PC and insert your micro sd there.
Luma3DS has an own updater and there is an app to look for games with good speed as I heard.
Only reason to keep it is availability of specific games or recent releases.
Well and no installing but the shop app has installing while downloading so this hardly counts anymore.

Last edited by Wuigi,

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, lately I've been doing some thinking and I realized that deep down there's something that I dislike about Gateway. I own one, and I guess I enjoy the product, but there's always been something I disliked that I couldn't put my finger on.
To give an accurate answer, I'd need to know your current Gateway setup. (Menuhax? A9LH? Luma Chainloading or other A9LH Boot Manager?)
The thing that bothers me is that there's not an all-in-one solution. Luma does everything except *.3ds/*.3dz loading and cheats (don't tell me to use NTR, it's not the same). Gateway does *.3ds/*.3dz loading and cheats, but lacks other cool features (loading DS carts, GBA games, automatic language emulation*, FIRM protection for sysnand, etc.) And because Gateway is notorious for infrequent updates and is closed source, this will (probably) always be the case.

*Gateway has this, and it's great for one-time emulation, but not when you want a single game to be in a single language and never change.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The brick code, stealing code, out of date code, spending months to update only to be still out of date, the 80$ price tag, still uses emuNANDs, no TWL/GBA patches, no FIRM0/1 protect. A lot of things are wrong with this cart.

Last edited by The Catboy,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Them taking their time to release an update for 11.1 is annoying me right now. It's the only thing holding me back from updating to 11.1. Gatewait indeed.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Them taking their time to release an update for 11.1 is annoying me right now. It's the only thing holding me back from updating to 11.1. Gatewait indeed.
You could just ditch the Brickwait and yourself some cutting-edge CFW support.

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they stole from AuReinand but it was a while ago and I can't really remember

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If Gateway wanted to start selling again I think they need to produce some extra cool features like more cheating or something else that isn't available through CFW alone. Then sell the carts for like $20 instead of $80. The cheat feature is great, the only problem is it isn't worth paying $80 for.
I 100% agree with this.
They'll need to rely on a exploit, though...
ARM11 Kernel exploit to load cheats and ARM9 Kexplploit for a cheat menu so they can't have their cart on the latest vanilla sysNAND :/

Last edited by RyDog,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You could just ditch the Brickwait and yourself some cutting-edge CFW support.
I already use Luma, it's been my primary CFW for ages. But I would like the Gateway to still actually work for the occasions that I use the games on the cart. I have a 64GB card in my N3DS and 32GB in my Gateway, I'd rather not lose the 32GB.

D

Deleted User

I don't switch them often. But another good thing about the card is trimming roms. I can't trim a cia install and if I can then that literally beats my reason for using this card.
When you trim a *.3DS or *.3DZ, you trim it down to it's minimum size. *.CIA files are already the minimum size that the game can be.
I do understand why you still use Gateway, though. Had I bought one back when Gateway was the only way to use CFW, I'd probably still be using mine from time to time too.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you trim a *.3DS or *.3DZ, you trim it down to it's minimum size. *.CIA files are already the minimum size that the game can be.
I do understand why you still use Gateway, though. Had I bought one back when Gateway was the only way to use CFW, I'd probably still be using mine from time to time too.
Had no idea they were already trimmed. Looking back at my Cia files I used for my brother, and the 3ds I use, they really are trimmed. The more you know. All I have now is no install times. This and sd card swapping is all I have now lol

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricking people's shit and not hopping onto the A9LH bandwagon fast enough. By the time they hopped onto it, they pretty much seemed to stop giving a fuck, and knew their time was up.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't care about them stealing code or writing bricking code (I mean, we're talking about a business for pirates, so did you really expect a warranty, respect of others' rights and stuff?).

What I do care about is how they fail to stay relevant.
They do not update their shit for months, and when they do they still lack features.
They do not give us an a9lh.bin, but instead they disappear for even more months in order to write a bullshit a9lh that no sane person cares about, and they call it "fast boot" THEN ONLY they give us an a9lh.bin just in order for people to think they're the creators of a9lh.
They need a stupid red card to boot, that's so annoying for people using retail carts.

Really, I can't join the Gatehate bandwagon due to cheats still being a lot better with Gateway than with NTR (though right now, NTR works on 11.1 and not Gateway...) but as soon as Luma (or any other free CFW) gets convenient cheats, I'll be happy to never use my red cart anymore. I had good times with it (not really, it was still annoying to boot with the red cart only to swap with a retail cart afterwards...) when it was the only solution to keep the console open, but right now it's just retarded.

Last edited by Hayleia,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Not to dig up past events again, as it is all dead an buried, yet they lied about the bricking code and never confessed to it, but instead blamed it on clones. It took them nearly a year and half to admit fault at using their product through beta 2 firmware and sent me two GW carts, as compensation and I never got the console back I sent. If they dealt with the matter more efficiently, then things may have been different

That is why there is hate towards them and other things two.

Last edited by retrofan_k,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't care about them stealing code or writing bricking code (I mean, we're talking about a business for pirates, so did you really expect a warranty, respect of others' rights and stuff?).

What I do care about is how they fail to stay relevant.
They do not update their shit for months, and when they do they still lack features.
They do not give us an a9lh.bin, but instead they disappear for even more months in order to write a bullshit a9lh that no sane person cares about, and they call it "fast boot" THEN ONLY they give us an a9lh.bin just in order for people to think they're the creators of a9lh.
They need a stupid red card to boot, that's so annoying for people using retail carts.

Really, I can't join the Gatehate bandwagon due to cheats still being a lot better with Gateway than with NTR (though right now, NTR works on 11.1 and not Gateway...) but as soon as Luma (or any other free CFW) gets convenient cheats, I'll be happy to never use my red cart anymore. I had good times with it (not really, it was still annoying to boot with the red cart only to swap with a retail cart afterwards...) when it was the only solution to keep the console open, but right now it's just retarded.
Exactly my opinion!!

Reactions: Hayleia

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
it has been good/reliable before the neat permanent CFW broke out.

but right now i have it only for 'just in case' it is still a hax card so its good to own it.

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
To be clear, Gateway using A9LH itself doesn't constitute a source code licence violation. They're free to make their own A9LH implementation If they actually used code from other CFW however, then that obviously would.

It should hardly be a surprise if they did steal open source code, however. After all, their launcher even contains code from Nintendo.
They can use anything because CFW started from them & people stole there idea at the first then came this far. They deserve it!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The brick code, stealing code, out of date code, spending months to update only to be still out of date, the 80$ price tag, still uses emuNANDs, no TWL/GBA patches, no FIRM0/1 protect. A lot of things are wrong with this cart.
You can get one at 60$ on aliexpress!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
honestly I think gateway got everything g they were ever going to get, people who couldn't afford one or thinks "piracy should always be freeeze" were never going to buy one anyway, I'm honestly surprised they were given free reign of the market for so long, normally there will be some dev ready to sink their battleship before a product even hits the market

the people who spread gateway hate were the people who wouldn't have ever ever ever bought it regardless of price or brick code or any of that stuff

Reactions: Onepunchbruh

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to trim a CIA because it's already only the size of the game. You need to trim 3DS files because they're the entirety of the carts ROM, with a bunch of 0000 padding from the free space being included in the file. CIA's are always the same size as a trimmed rom or smaller.

Reactions: Awesomeaustin316

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: