Hacking Where did Gateway go wrong?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They can use anything because CFW started from them & people stole there idea at the first then came this far. They deserve it!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can get one at 60$ on aliexpress!
That's better, but it's still paying 60$ to always be out of date. It would be one thing if the cart was at least moderately up to date, but it always goes weeks to even months being out of date, where free CFWs are always way ahead of it.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I dunno, lately I've been doing some thinking and I realized that deep down there's something that I dislike about Gateway. I own one, and I guess I enjoy the product, but there's always been something I disliked that I couldn't put my finger on.

In my time of confusion, I turn to the community. Where did Gateway go wrong? By this I mean, what did they do to really drive a stake through their own feet. I know it was really good for some time, but I'm starting to feel that spark less and less. Anything they could ever possibly do that's new and innovative will probably be reverse engineered and made free anyways.

So yeah, that's my question. Go nuts.
Wait, I think I know what you're talking about.
You probably got your Gateway when it was the only viable solution and enjoyed it then... and now you see other alternatives. And I'm not talking about the fact alternatives are intrinsically better or not, it's just a matter of atmosphere.

I mean, Gateway feels like a vending machine.
You come, you have limited choice, especially if the machine wasn't filled recently and you can't request/discuss/complain/suggest anything, then you pay too much compared to a store (or compared to a free CFW which is, well, free), you're served, and they're done with you.

Free CFWs feel like your neighborhood's local store.
Just the same way you can just go to that store to discuss with your friends working there, you can see the free CFW devs in gbatemp. You see the progress they make while they're doing it. You can discuss with them. When a new feature is coming, you know it, and then you can enjoy it as soon as it's ready, you don't have to wait for a full refill of the vending machine (Gateway delaying the update to add more unnecessary features such as their a9lh implementation when all we needed was a bin).

With Gateway, there is so little communication that you can feel left out. That may be what you dislike about them (not (just) the lack of features and stuff), and that's probably why you couldn't put your finger on it since it's something that they lack instead of something bad they could have done.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
honestly I think gateway got everything g they were ever going to get, people who couldn't afford one or thinks "piracy should always be freeeze" were never going to buy one anyway, I'm honestly surprised they were given free reign of the market for so long, normally there will be some dev ready to sink their battleship before a product even hits the market

the people who spread gateway hate were the people who wouldn't have ever ever ever bought it regardless of price or brick code or any of that stuff
The main devs who would have been able to counter GW's stuff were neimod, who was probably hired by gateway themselves, and yellows8, who only "released" stuff when it was leaked back then :P

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I think I know what you're talking about.
You probably got your Gateway when it was the only viable solution and enjoyed it then... and now you see other alternatives. And I'm not talking about the fact alternatives are intrinsically better or not, it's just a matter of atmosphere.

I mean, Gateway feels like a vending machine.
You come, you have limited choice, especially if the machine wasn't filled recently and you can't request/discuss/complain/suggest anything, then you pay too much compared to a store (or compared to a free CFW which is, well, free), you're served, and they're done with you.

Free CFWs feel like your neighborhood's local store.
Just the same way you can just go to that store to discuss with your friends working there, you can see the free CFW devs in gbatemp. You see the progress they make while they're doing it. You can discuss with them. When a new feature is coming, you know it, and then you can enjoy it as soon as it's ready, you don't have to wait for a full refill of the vending machine (Gateway delaying the update to add more unnecessary features such as their a9lh implementation when all we needed was a bin).

With Gateway, there is so little communication that you can feel left out. That may be what you dislike about them (not (just) the lack of features and stuff), and that's probably why you couldn't put your finger on it since it's something that they lack instead of something bad they could have done.
That's actually an interesting way of looking at it that I haven't thought of before - with GW, you only get anonymous blog posts promising features Soon(TM), whereas with the FOSS CFWs there's real people who you can talk with about the features.

Thanks, that might have provided a bit of new insight for me :P
-snip-

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
What are you talking about? There's no need to buy a GW anymore, given that it's mostly inferior to free community versions.
I use it. Who told you it's not useful anymore? You have not used gateway it's the best think that can be served with al9h. I use both al9h & gaateway & I'm happy with. I don't know why you guys make excuses like this. If you don't want to buy then don't. Don't spread hate.

Reactions: BADDINOROX99

Rfire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Probably from the moment they stopped doing original work and chose to sponge off of open source projects for profit -- and it wouldn't surprise me if they violate the GPL as well though I am unaware of any specific cases of that.

Exhibit A of my "sponge" point: Taking A9LH, and claiming credit for it as their own original work.

And what I mean by "sponge" is to use an open source project's work without contributing anything back, and worse, taking credit for it.

Last edited by Rfire,

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
What happened to Gateway when they where the only flashcard that could play backups on a 3ds between FWs4.1.0 - 4.5.0!I hate it when people jump on the late Gateway hate train when they forget about their routes!

Last edited by Reecey,
D

Deleted User

I don't care about them stealing code or writing bricking code (I mean, we're talking about a business for pirates, so did you really expect a warranty, respect of others' rights and stuff?).

What I do care about is how they fail to stay relevant.
They do not update their shit for months, and when they do they still lack features.
They do not give us an a9lh.bin, but instead they disappear for even more months in order to write a bullshit a9lh that no sane person cares about, and they call it "fast boot" THEN ONLY they give us an a9lh.bin just in order for people to think they're the creators of a9lh.
They need a stupid red card to boot, that's so annoying for people using retail carts.

Really, I can't join the Gatehate bandwagon due to cheats still being a lot better with Gateway than with NTR (though right now, NTR works on 11.1 and not Gateway...) but as soon as Luma (or any other free CFW) gets convenient cheats, I'll be happy to never use my red cart anymore. I had good times with it (not really, it was still annoying to boot with the red cart only to swap with a retail cart afterwards...) when it was the only solution to keep the console open, but right now it's just retarded.
Didn't "Gateway Fast Boot" also write-lock people's NAND chips when their consoles were off so people couldn't restore backups via hardmod?
What happened to Gateway when they where the only flashcard that could play backups on a 3ds between FWs4.1.0 - 4.5.0!I hate it when people jump on the late Gateway hate train when they forget about their routes!
Oh boy, this is the second time I've said this.
Just because Gateway was good then doesn't mean they're good now, and because they were good at one point, that doesn't mean we should just ignore the shitty things they've done.
In fact, if we had free CFW back then already, I don't think anyone would've actually bought a Gateway, either that or less people would've bought Gateways.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Didn't "Gateway Fast Boot" also write-lock people's NAND chips when their consoles were off so people couldn't restore backups via hardmod?
No, that rumor started after one person's hardmod was damaged and he couldn't restore and thought it was because of GW, but it was just a coincidence.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They didn't go wrong, just got outdated. Nothing GW could do to stay relavant once stable free cfw comes. I have had one since release and still like some stuff (like the speed of .3ds), but even if they kept up with free cfw, that alone would not be enough to warrant £50. Best thing they could do now is opensource the cheatengine & opensource the cart stuff and bow out.

I don't think GW ever drove a stake through their own feet though.

The GW hate today, is no worse than it's ever been. The people complaining never had any intention of buying a GW anyway, so it makes no difference. If it wasn't the bricking, it would have been something else. Look when it came out, same hate, different reasons:

I would buy it but it's not region free. Region free gets added
I would buy it, but it's useless once they check the version. Spoofing gets added.
I would buy, but no Eshop. Emunand gets added.
I would buy it, but 4.5 only.
I would buy it, but too expensive.

People been hating on GW since day, and just moving the goalposts over why.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's not rocket science, of course less people would have bought Gateway in the early days had open source CFW existed.

If you want to blame somebody for that, blame the people who had free CFW and were sitting on them, while at the same time badmouthing those who bought a Gateway as the only option available to public users. Had the free CFW not been leaked, we'd still be relying on closed source DRM-ware like Gateway.

D

Deleted User

I'm interested on that. What exactly did they claim as theirs?
Well, "Gateway Fast Boot" is a9lh, as the other people in this thread have mentioned. I believe they stole the code from someone's downgrader, too? (I'm not 100% sure on that though, I'm just going off of memory)

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Well, "Gateway Fast Boot" is a9lh, as the other people in this thread have mentioned. I believe they stole the code from someone's downgrader, too? (I'm not 100% sure on that though, I'm just going off of memory)
Yeah, they basically just reused PlaiSysDowngrader for their "Time Machine"

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1