Hardware Where can I get a reasonable-priced New 3DS?

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The nice thing about buying stuff from Japan is when the listing says "Good" it means "Like New" if you were looking at a listing from the US. Unlike Americans, the Japanese don't treat their possessions like shit.
Yeah. And they tend to lie less about their systems being perfect, they are honest about the condition usually. And even then, a "perfect condition, used once" console will be posted only as "Good" because they know it's used even if only one or two times in a while.

NovaXoXO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of then I text. I just don't care for used 3ds, no matter the model. Too many things can be wrong with them that aren't immediately apparent. Hinges crack, 3d slider could be failing/setup wrong, internal ribbons for the home button and/or amiibo reader could be broken (common if ever been opened), the console could be banned, NDS mode could be fucked up and not working due to a crappy downgrade, etc. I like to buy mine new to avoid all that crap, but I don't get why 3DSes are being scalped so hard right now.
you may be thinking, worst case scenario.

these things are built pretty sturdy. I've purchased about 5-6 used 3DS and never had any issues. that said, if you want ANYTHING that's no longer in stores but brand new, expect to pay a pretty penny because now you're looking into the "collectable" market. It's not even about scalpers once you get to the point of searching for a discontinued product in mint/boxed condition.

What you can do though, is find a middle point. Look around your local resellers (and check their yelp reviews) to see if you can find one in the condition that you're looking for. Most stores will let you test it out to make sure everything is working to your standards. Avoid Gamestop. And if they seller wont let you test it then keep searching. You'll find what you need.

Reactions: CoolMe

NovaXoXO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The nice thing about buying stuff from Japan is when the listing says "Good" it means "Like New" if you were looking at a listing from the US. Unlike Americans, the Japanese don't treat their possessions like shit.
Just to add to this, I purchased a "Like New" Japanese White New 3DS XL off ebay and it was exactly as the description said. And you know how dirty white systems can get, NOPE...this one didnt even have dirt in the cracks, sliders ,buttons ect.
If you're willing to go through with Jap text or doing a region change. I'll agree Japanese systems are a safe bet.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're willing to go through with Jap text or doing a region change. I'll agree Japanese systems are a safe bet.
On that note, is there any reason NOT to buy a Japanese unit and region change it to English after 2022? My understanding is in the past you didn't want to do this, because it would break the eShop, but once the eShop is dead, you have no reason to avoid changing the Japanese system to another region?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On that note, is there any reason NOT to buy a Japanese unit and region change it to English after 2022? My understanding is in the past you didn't want to do this, because it would break the eShop, but once the eShop is dead, you have no reason to avoid changing the Japanese system to another region?

This is precisely where my head was when I region changed my LL. The downsides were resolved 100%…by Ninty themselves.

Reactions: Tsukiru

Sirius1428

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, would you recommend buying one of those japanese new 3ds from japan? (new stands for the model, not the condition (damn nintendo and their confusing names haha 😂)).

I've been interested in getting one for quite some time now, particularly the model with the interchangeable cases and the colored abxy buttons that wasn't released in america (although an xl model would be ok as well as long as it's cheap), I don't mind the region being japanese since I can either create an US emunand or do a region change, I once did it for my old 3ds and it worked (except for the eshop, but that won't matter soon anyway), so on this one it should work as well, right?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't pay attention to it too closely, but https://www.reddit.com/r/3DSdeals/ seems to regularly have posts about units coming back into stock for reasonable prices.

The eShop will be "dead" in the sense that you won't be able to buy and download new games, but you'll still need it for updates for your cartridge games. (But then again, you could just download the necessary update .cias from some random Internet site instead.)

Reactions: CoolMe

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, would you recommend buying one of those japanese new 3ds from japan? (new stands for the model, not the condition (damn nintendo and their confusing names haha 😂)).

I did it and couldn't be happier.

I've been interested in getting one for quite some time now, particularly the model with the interchangeable cases and the colored abxy buttons that wasn't released in america (although an xl model would be ok as well as long as it's cheap), I don't mind the region being japanese since I can either create an US emunand or do a region change, I once did it for my old 3ds and it worked (except for the eshop, but that won't matter soon anyway), so on this one it should work as well, right?

Yes, I left mine Japanese and added an emunand that I converted to US. Best of all worlds. Don't miss the eshop one bit and it will be dead soon anyway.

Reactions: NovaXoXO

NovaXoXO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did it and couldn't be happier.

Yes, I left mine Japanese and added an emunand that I converted to US. Best of all worlds. Don't miss the eshop one bit and it will be dead soon anyway.

You could also keep it in Japanese and just change the region and language of a specific game to NA & English.
Now you have the cool japanese banners and full access to the japanese e-shop while playing north american titles.

the downside is, SNES and NES game banners don't show properly. So using New Super Injector, just change the respective VC banners to Famicom or Super Famicom and you're good.

( even though i have no need for the eshop, its still cool to browse through as the overall appearance is 10x better then the North American e-shop)

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Look at local advert apps that offer regional sales with cash collections. You get far better prices than scalper oriented online delivery portals and you get to check the item over before buying.

Might take a while but you'll find one, especially after the holidays because people often just want to get rid of their old systems so look into a time machine as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1tb SD card for whatever reason
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 1tb SD card for whatever reason