When you have the choice between a (fan) translation or the original, which one will do for you?

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like fan translations even if the game is available in a language I know. Playing games with you own language is completely different experience.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you referring to translations to a different language or re-translations? Translations tend to be excellent nowadays. I've usually only played fan made re-translations when it comes to older games that are known for being badly translated.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After that hot mess called Fire Emblem Fates I'll trust the fans to deliver a quality and faithfully translated product over official localized sources. The world has gotten too politically correct and being careful not to offend anyone that no one is allowed to have fun.

Still waiting for that game to have its translation finished.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whichever is likely to give me a better experience, or if one is likely to give me a different experience then I will go that. I would rather have a good story than an accurate translation, especially in most games where stories are hardly stories for all time.

Reactions: Steve_Doido

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
After that hot mess called Fire Emblem Fates I'll trust the fans to deliver a quality and faithfully translated product over official localized sources. The world has gotten too politically correct and being careful not to offend anyone that no one is allowed to have fun.

Played Awakening recently and am planning to play Fates sometime in the future. Is the official translation really that bad?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For me you know XD It's deppend more on the quality of translation/localization... I'm more to the side that want the stuff closer to the original, or a really good adaptation (I can keep using the brazilian dub of yuyuhakusho as example everytime you want XD), I can give a chance, but I'm really critic, you know XD

this

Played Awakening recently and am planning to play Fates sometime in the future. Is the official translation really that bad?
well they changed much content that don't had why (since it was an mature game anyway), that what make people unhappy with the official...
In overall enjoyment is more to how the fans like the series at all, more causal would like that, but others want it close to the original :B

I still remember Goteniai telling me that the official Chinese translation of pokemon sun and moon are very bad made, the font isn't good and a lot of stuff (well, even the English that is the mostly praised overworld have a lot of small fail that I would like to improve for a Portuguese translation), so he was improving it... don't know if count much as fan translation at all :v

Last edited by Sliter,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a modded 3DS there's no reason not to play the version that fans spent months on making sure it's as faithful as possible. I don't normally encourage piracy but if any title deserves it it's this one and any butchered work that's ever had the misfortune of being touched by NoA.

Sorry for digressing but yes go play the fan translation if you can. Should be easy to find.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I heard it isn't. People seem to be using misinformation to back their backlash.
I'd like to know what this "misinformation" is.

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Being faithful ≠ good
That's a fallacy. Being well written equals it.
Just want to make that clear.
being adapted also don't means this will be good... so all depends of how they do both, not by being translated or localized...
but yeal I really can't take that stuff like calling a tengu as "japanese goblin", japanese people don't call goblins as "western tengu" XD

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked the fan translation for Fire Emblem Fates a lot more than the game released in the USA. Given the choice, I'd play a fan translation of any game if it was done well and included things the official release didn't. Such as partner petting in FE Fates.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being faithful ≠ good
That's a fallacy. Being well written equals it.
Just want to make that clear.
What a coward you are, not to quote so I wouldn't notice you posting.

Just because you want everything politically correct in your bubble doesn't mean everyone else wants that too. Censorship isn't some myth, there were significant changes made that not everyone agrees with.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we are on the topic of Fire emblem fates, yes people translated the japanese version to english, even though there is a english version. But from what i observed is only cause of the censorship that the game suffered through localization. The infamous petting part in the japanese version that happens after inviting a team mate to the room was probably one of the reasons a translation exist.

In japan the game is known to have the highest rating of the series being labeled a C by the CERO system for players up to 16 and over, which is probably equal to America ERSB Mature rating. That alone is one reason i believe this happens. Most translations of japanese games exist even though the english already does officially is cause of censorship through localization, it allows not only the context to be preserved but content that is removed as well.

If you are playing the game solely for the game and not the story, it wouldn't matter which one you play since that petting game may have been resolved by its absence in a way i have no proof of but i doubt the programmers would remove something without fixing it for is loss. But if you are too lazy to learn japanese and wanna play the complete game then the japanese is the way to go, somehow nintendo was able to publish bayonetta 2 on wii u in is uncensored Mature rating glory but can't publish fire emblem fates, Tokyo mirage sessions, that fatal frame game with a mature rating in america.

Another reason why the game gets censored like that is cause of trying to aim for as lower rating as possible. A mature rating means only adults can play or buy the game (even though there is parents who will let the young kids play it anyway) Teen rating allows more people to buy the game, and as it gets lower will mean more oppertunity for sales, while higher means less. Since each region has their own rating system that looks for specific targets of what should get cut or altered to find a glorified rating for the game, is always possible that fan translations for already official translation will exist for similar reasons.

I play the game in the english i can play it in. English, it has voice acting in english (most of the time) and the context is made localized to fit the pop culture references of our life from where we live. While some are pretty bad and ungodly (Symphony of the night) is just how it is.

Once upon a time when the ESRB censorship didn't exist when people didn't have emulators, or roms or hacks or even unofficial translations, we just played the games we can find in stores, there was no imports, and hardly friends of translators that we probably was willing to play with just to enjoy the game, we just buy and play and enjoy or get rid of it when we are done. The games themself were censored by publisher decision instead of by ESRB decision and capcom games on nintendo were often the ones to do so, like Mega man boss Yellow devil being "Rock monster" Breath of fire on SNES having too much to do with religion even since is a fantasy game, Final fight removing poison since women fighting men was not nice, and some others i will end here. We live in a different time now but censorship exist and is not any different than it used to be as nintendo always had these specific principals since NES was made public.

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What a coward you are, not to quote so I wouldn't notice you posting.

Just because you want everything politically correct in your bubble doesn't mean everyone else wants that too. Censorship isn't some myth, there were significant changes made that not everyone agrees with.
Sorry, I just forgot to quote you.
I'm not talking about the FF:Fates translation, I don't even have a 3DS! I'm just saying that a faithful translation does not equal to it being good.
Though I am curious to know the censorship they did.
EDIT: I am also not politically correct. I actually hate political correctness.

@Sliter Same goes for full localization. It does not equal good nor bad. The quality of the writing is what counts.

Last edited by Steve_Doido,
Reactions: Sliter

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I just forgot to quote you.
I'm not talking about the FF:Fates translation, I don't even have a 3DS! I'm just saying that a faithful translation does not equal to it being good.
Though I am curious to know the censorship they did.

@Sliter Same goes for full localization. It does not equal good nor bad. The quality of the writing is what counts.
I understand what you mean, normally localizations are done so jokes and phrases that are understandable to their country of origin are more relatable in other regions. However this isn't the case with this game and other recent titles from Nintendo that want to diminish the original intent of a developer's work just so it panders to the lowest denominator. What Nintendo doesn't understand is not every single game is made for every consumer and they shouldn't have to pander like they are.

MuratTemp

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm from germany abd if I had a choice between Original English and german,Iwould have taken the english one because there might me jokes that haven't been translated because it wouldn't make sense.
It always depends on the situation you're in

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If we are on the topic of Fire emblem fates, yes people translated the japanese version to english, even though there is a english version. But from what i observed is only cause of the censorship that the game suffered through localization. The infamous petting part in the japanese version that happens after inviting a team mate to the room was probably one of the reasons a translation exist.

In japan the game is known to have the highest rating of the series being labeled a C by the CERO system for players up to 16 and over, which is probably equal to America ERSB Mature rating. That alone is one reason i believe this happens. Most translations of japanese games exist even though the english already does officially is cause of censorship through localization, it allows not only the context to be preserved but content that is removed as well.

If you are playing the game solely for the game and not the story, it wouldn't matter which one you play since that petting game may have been resolved by its absence in a way i have no proof of but i doubt the programmers would remove something without fixing it for is loss. But if you are too lazy to learn japanese and wanna play the complete game then the japanese is the way to go, somehow nintendo was able to publish bayonetta 2 on wii u in is uncensored Mature rating glory but can't publish fire emblem fates, Tokyo mirage sessions, that fatal frame game with a mature rating in america.

Another reason why the game gets censored like that is cause of trying to aim for as lower rating as possible. A mature rating means only adults can play or buy the game (even though there is parents who will let the young kids play it anyway) Teen rating allows more people to buy the game, and as it gets lower will mean more oppertunity for sales, while higher means less. Since each region has their own rating system that looks for specific targets of what should get cut or altered to find a glorified rating for the game, is always possible that fan translations for already official translation will exist for similar reasons.

I play the game in the english i can play it in. English, it has voice acting in english (most of the time) and the context is made localized to fit the pop culture references of our life from where we live. While some are pretty bad and ungodly (Symphony of the night) is just how it is.

Once upon a time when the ESRB censorship didn't exist when people didn't have emulators, or roms or hacks or even unofficial translations, we just played the games we can find in stores, there was no imports, and hardly friends of translators that we probably was willing to play with just to enjoy the game, we just buy and play and enjoy or get rid of it when we are done. The games themself were censored by publisher decision instead of by ESRB decision and capcom games on nintendo were often the ones to do so, like Mega man boss Yellow devil being "Rock monster" Breath of fire on SNES having too much to do with religion even since is a fantasy game, Final fight removing poison since women fighting men was not nice, and some others i will end here. We live in a different time now but censorship exist and is not any different than it used to be as nintendo always had these specific principals since NES was made public.
I agree, censorship because they deem it "incorrect" or "it might offend someone" is stupid. The rating thing is debatable, sometimes a product that would be a certain rating weren't it for a few small details, I'm ok with it. Dubs in Brazil have always worked that way (even when they shouldn't ¬¬) but it allowed the likes of Ghostbusters 1&2 to get an E rating, cutting up the more rude swear words.
We are also WAAAY more forgiving with stuff, which is great, because America really underestimate children, specially when it comes to sexual content.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I understand what you mean, normally localizations are done so jokes and phrases that are understandable to their country of origin are more relatable in other regions. However this isn't the case with this game and other recent titles from Nintendo that want to diminish the original intent of a developer's work just so it panders to the lowest denominator. What Nintendo doesn't understand is not every single game is made for every consumer and they shouldn't have to pander like they are.
The thing about intent is another debatable point. A lot of times translations completely changes things and nobody notices, or if they do, they actually find it an improvement! Take Woosley's translation of FFVI, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. They are legendary BECAUSE they changed quite a lot. Again, not talking about FF:Fates, but I believe anything is valid for the purpose of a better product. You just gotta know what you are doing.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, censorship because they deem it "incorrect" or "it might offend someone" is stupid. The rating thing is debatable, sometimes a product that would be a certain rating weren't it for a few small details, I'm ok with it. Dubs in Brazil have always worked that way (even when they shouldn't ¬¬) but it allowed the likes of Ghostbusters 1&2 to get an E rating, cutting up the more rude swear words.
We are also WAAAY more forgiving with stuff, which is great, because America really underestimate children, specially when it comes to sexual content.
Well the rating system exist, that won't change as easily but i was just saying possible reasons why fan translations exist. Localization is a useful tool bu it suffers with censorship. The fact that games are even available to us is cause of reasons like censorship and localization. Without the publishers trying to work with the system, lots of well known games could have been unreleased in our regions and we would have not only less games to play but not know of many games that we like as well.

I'm not saying you should hate censorship or localization or the publishers who do make these changes even though it's easy to point fingers, but is just how it has been for some time now. Imagine your favorite game wasn't made available to you cause the publisher didn't work with the rating system, instead just didn't bother with it and now you can't play that game. Now the region has less games to play, probably only people making games would be the counrtry you live in who have companies and studios to do so. Games like Mortal Kombat or Killer insticnt which was too bloody gore for japan standards are not being popular there but is here since is made in america for americans. It would probably change the video game market as we know it.

We know lots of people have controversy about the difference in games between regions and exclusive content but at the end of the day, the sacrifices are what made most games popular world wide instead of just one specific region. You would need to wait until around this time to see fan translations of games you never heard of cause official ones was not made due to not trying to reason with the rating system. Of course if one thinks if the rating system didn't exist for game, it wouldn't be a problem, but like i said already, publishers like nintendo already been doing censorship from the start and without ERSB and PEGI or CERO it could be bad cause of lack in quality control by second source, of course that statement is just a opinion based on observation.

Bottom line is that we can import games now and if people wanna play the game in the original context, they should learn the language the games are made from so that transltions aren't a issue for stuff like this. I don't mean to sound offensive when i say it though but it would save lots of people time.

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well the rating system exist, that won't change as easily but i was just saying possible reasons why fan translations exist. Localization is a useful tool bu it suffers with censorship. The fact that games are even available to us is cause of reasons like censorship and localization. Without the publishers trying to work with the system, lots of well known games could have been unreleased in our regions and we would have not only less games to play but not know of many games that we like as well.

I'm not saying you should hate censorship or localization or the publishers who do make these changes even though it's easy to point fingers, but is just how it has been for some time now. Imagine your favorite game wasn't made available to you cause the publisher didn't work with the rating system, instead just didn't bother with it and now you can't play that game. Now the region has less games to play, probably only people making games would be the counrtry you live in who have companies and studios to do so. Games like Mortal Kombat or Killer insticnt which was too bloody gore for japan standards are not being popular there but is here since is made in america for americans. It would probably change the video game market as we know it.

We know lots of people have controversy about the difference in games between regions and exclusive content but at the end of the day, the sacrifices are what made most games popular world wide instead of just one specific region. You would need to wait until around this time to see fan translations of games you never heard of cause official ones was not made due to not trying to reason with the rating system. Of course if one thinks if the rating system didn't exist for game, it wouldn't be a problem, but like i said already, publishers like nintendo already been doing censorship from the start and without ERSB and PEGI or CERO it could be bad cause of lack in quality control by second source, of course that statement is just a opinion based on observation.

Bottom line is that we can import games now and if people wanna play the game in the original context, they should learn the language the games are made from so that transltions aren't a issue for stuff like this. I don't mean to sound offensive when i say it though but it would save lots of people time.
The fun part is that the ESRB is actually meaningless. The reason you don't see AO rated games or games without any on consoles is because companies don't want them there. It's the reason you will found so many of these on steam but none on the e-Shop. I'd say that only happens because the ESRB is a private company, so you can argue with them. If it was government controlled, like in Japan, thing would be MUCH worse.
People nowadays only use ratings as an indicator of the type of content a game has. Going into a T rated game for example, I know the content won't be as violent/sexual as in a M rated game for exemple, which could be more for my liking, even if I have enough age to play any game. It makes me suggest a system that, instead of giving away arbitrary ages, would scale the type of content each game has.

Violence: 1 2 3
Sexual Content/Suggestive Themes: 1 2 3
Profanity: Yes/No

1 - Little to no amount of it
2 - Moderate amounts of it
3 - Excessive amounts of it

Yes - Has strong use of profanity
No - May contain use of very small swear words.

That way people will know EXACTLY what the game has and people wouldn't have to cut things to fit an arbitrary criteria. I see the likes of the AO rating as nothing more but "state" censorship, as it makes selling a game with it pretty much impossible. I believe I should be able to do whatever game I want without a system telling me I can't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.