Hacking When recovering from a brick, is it possible to...

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
retain the data on the system? I'm pretty sure I'm bricked, even though I haven't touched my Wii in three weeks and it was working fine then. I've tried all the methods to unbrick, but nothing has worked for me so far.

So I took it to some electronics store and they said they'd replace the motherboard for 80 bucks. That's fine and dandy, but once they replace it, all my save game data is gone. All my hours on Monster Hunter... wasted!

Anyways, is it possible to unbrick a Wii and keep the data?

PS - Has anyone used this unbricking service?

http://www.vgcrepairs.biz/zen_store/index....products_id=147

I'm tempted to send it over, but it says I needed to do a NAND backup. I've only ever followed guides, so I can't really remember if I did this...

camochase

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i personally have never had to unbrick a wii because i take every precaution so i dont have to go through that experience but i did do alot of research but as far as i know on ways to brick a wii is to install a firmware from another country and if your wii has bootmii on boot 2 then you can make a nand backup which is like makeing a restore point on your computer but im guessing you haven't made a nand back up but if your wii is soft moded you have 2 options savemii/savemiifrii or hope your wii half bricked ( i personally dont know what to do on that second scenario) but also you might be able to retain your data if you extract it manually then later inject it with wainkikio's save game editor after you get it fixed but i dont know how you could go about that or you can also recreat your save by editing saves posted all over the internet but im srry you bricked your wii and those people that cost 25$ but they are doing something you ca just do yourself with a fee but goodluck and be carefull with your games in the future and use wii brick blocker or something on your iso's so the game wont update

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's it doing when turned on? Black screen?

Can you turn the console on with the wiimote (even if you don't get any video)? If not, the bluetooth module is probably bad (this module tends to fail randomly).

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
What's it doing when turned on? Black screen?

Can you turn the console on with the wiimote (even if you don't get any video)? If not, the bluetooth module is probably bad (this module tends to fail randomly).

Yes and yes. After turning it on, the Remotes won't synch to the system.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Then it's not the bluetooth module. The remotes cannot turn on a system with that problem.

It could be some other hardware that's dead (DVD drive and wifi module can cause this if they're disconnected or defective), or the software could be corrupt.

Software problems are fixable if you have a NAND backup, or if the wii can run bootmii as boot2 (Wiis made before mid-2008 should be able to). If you made one, your NAND backup will probably be on your SD card. It will be called NAND.bin, and should be 528MB in size.

If you have a GC controller, you can look up "savemiifrii" and try that. If the system menu is still working, you'll get 4.3(USA) or similar in the corner of your screen.

Also, did you use USB Loader GX to play your games?

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
Then it's not the bluetooth module. The remotes cannot turn on a system with that problem.

It could be some other hardware that's dead (DVD drive and wifi module can cause this if they're disconnected or defective), or the software could be corrupt.

Software problems are fixable if you have a NAND backup, or if the wii can run bootmii as boot2 (Wiis made before mid-2008 should be able to). If you made one, your NAND backup will probably be on your SD card. It will be called NAND.bin, and should be 528MB in size.

If you have a GC controller, you can look up "savemiifrii" and try that. If the system menu is still working, you'll get 4.3(USA) or similar in the corner of your screen.

Also, did you use USB Loader GX to play your games?

It could be a hardware problem, since I have a history of tripping over the GC controller wires, making the console fall to the side.

I've tried savemiifrii with a third party controller. Didn't work. Haven't bothered to take apart my first party controller.

Upon inspection of my SD Card, I found no trace of NAND.bin, so that's over...

I used Configurable USB Loader to play my games.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I am known as GBAtemp's pro wii unbricker. (I'm shocked no one reccommended you to me already). I've actually taught Ed (the guy from vgcrepairs) a few things about wii unbricking.

I charge $40 for labor and you pay shipping both ways. All in all it comes up to about $62 if you live in the USA. There is 1 requirement. Either your wii must have a vulnerable boot1 (so bootmii can be installed to boot2 (bought before October 2008)), or you must have a previous nand backup. If you match with either of those then I can fix your wii and I can keep all of your saved data and everything else. If you do not have a vulnerable boot1 or a nand backup then your wii can not be fixed if it is a full brick.

techboy said:
You can completely remove the DVD drive and the wii will still go to the system menu without issues. If you remove the Wifi module then the wii will still go to the system menu or bootmii or anything else, but then lock up after about 10 seconds. So his issue is not either of those.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
You can completely remove the DVD drive and the wii will still go to the system menu without issues. If you remove the Wifi module then the wii will still go to the system menu or bootmii or anything else, but then lock up after about 10 seconds. So his issue is not either of those.
My friend's wii acted as if completely bricked when he forgot to plug his DVD drive back in once, hence why I said that. Apparently that's not the norm...

As for the wifi module...I learned something
smile.gif
I would've figured it'd brick like BT does when it dies. Guess not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc