When is pirating ok? (discussion)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just a small quote of my work on PC (GTA IV) Rockstar stole my works without thanks me, one dev from them contact me in private to say to me sorry about that...
so continue to talk man, i release this for free without asking any donation because i like it to work on it and help... stolen work is different than sharing work (put name on a work that is not your) yes i call that piracy

So now continue to defend that companies who stole work or take free work from other and just made the own stuff to sell it just after... i has a personal project that was stole by a big company, because i believe them i reveal everythings about it, 6month after the games was released with all my story/gameplay idea and co... it was supposed to be free to play... but no... let make it worst by releasing the game with a expensive price with work from other, nice mind

OOoooooooooooh, I see... so Grand theft auto 4 was a personal project you made, and rockstar stole and sold... alright, fair enough.

Skyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
OOoooooooooooh, I see... so Grand theft auto 4 was a personal project you made, and rockstar stole and sold... alright, fair enough.

Ok you don't understand... i was talking about working on the 3D/Physic engine (do the job that they should do it) that PC Game user can be able to play correctly the game, i re-write all the algorithm shader that was not supposed to be me to do that but i did this to help PC users... so why people will pay a game that is not even finish, that you can't even play, with many bugs, problem, etc... and stop with your sarcasm please.

The personal project was not GTA IV but another game that have nothing to do with this game and it was on the company that i was working for.

Filipe C Bello dos Santos

Real pirates don't buy fake copies.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Man, a while ago I've made a long post discussing this.. so let's try to make a long story short.
What's morally/ethically wrong doesn't necessarily need to make you feel bad, and vice-versa.
So, pirating is morally wrong, this is a fact.
I pirate all the same, and I couldn't care less. I wouldn't if certain circumstances were met, but ATM they are still non-existent.
Do I know I am acting in a morally wrong way? Fuck yeah.
Does this makes me feel bad? Nah.

End of history.

I couldn't agree more. But there is some anti-piracy nazis that cannot read something like this "i know piracy is wrong, i do because i want to play and don't have money to pay" without start a war and point fingers.

that's why i asked if those people want us to cry while play, like they must be doing all these years, because they pirate too.

funny fact: we had a radio station on the public university called "Radio USP" that used to play MSX games every day at midnight. the count from 5 to zero and we recorded the signal, an then play on our computers.

So i pirate games since 86, with 5 years with my older brother and with that age i don't even had the concept of regret, how can i find it wrong now with 31 ?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I couldn't agree more. But there is some anti-piracy nazis that cannot read something like this "i know piracy is wrong, i do because i want to play and don't have money to pay" without start a war and point fingers.

So i pirate games since 86, with 5 years with my older brother and with that age i don't even had the concept of regret, how can i find it wrong now with 31 ?

That's exactly what most (if not all) of those pointing fingers WANT people to say. It is
"Piracy is not wrong, I do because I want to play games (and big companies deserve it)" that they think are wrong. What you said was a perfect example of a good reply :)

But you don't think it is wrong at all? (in your last sentence).

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

that's why i asked if those people want us to cry while play, like they must be doing all these years, because they pirate too.

funny fact: we had a radio station on the public university called "Radio USP" that used to play MSX games every day at midnight. the count from 5 to zero and we recorded the signal, an then play on our computers.

Except that's not what any of the pirates in here have said... You've got guys like jimskeet or whatever acting like pirates are on some righteous quest to liberate games from the corrupt devs/publishers, all the while, claiming that video games are a necessity... If you would have posted this days ago this thread would likely be dead by now :P

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I personally have never said people should not pirate. I've merely pointed out that it's childish to pretend pirating isn't immoral. I'm sure many, if not all, of the "anti-piracy" people posting in this thread (and many of the pirates) would say the same thing. But of course, there's that handful of dense, entitled kids who've spent their gaming life in denial of right and wrong. Morals really aren't as subjective as these tools make them out to be.

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
of course i do, but i can't buy all games that i want, so here's an example:

I want to buy sonic generations, the new castlevania for 3ds and pokemon x or y, but i have another thinks to pay and will choose only one of them to buy. I will go for pokemon because i will play it for a lot more time than the other 2.
But when 3DS gets hacked, i will dl the other 2 and play.

i know it is wrong, but there's a lot of wrong things on this, but i don't care for companies, i just like games.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
After learning of the state of modern music via the song 'Stupid ho' by Nikki Minaj, I'd like to add to my list of reasonabe uses for piracy the idea that it's ok to pirate absolutely anything, as well as break any other law, rule, moral or ethical code, law of physics or flat out rend reality apart if it prevents Nikki Minaj from releasing any new material.

Also, 'Dizznik' sounds like what Mickey Mouse would call his dong.

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Except that's not what any of the pirates in here have said... You've got guys like jimskeet or whatever acting like pirates are on some righteous quest to liberate games from the corrupt devs/publishers, all the while, claiming that video games are a necessity... If you would have posted this days ago this thread would likely be dead by now :P

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I personally have never said people should not pirate. I've merely pointed out that it's childish to pretend pirating isn't immoral. I'm sure many, if not all, of the "anti-piracy" people posting in this thread (and many of the pirates) would say the same thing. But of course, there's that handful of dense, entitled kids who've spent their gaming life in denial of right and wrong. Morals really aren't as subjective as these tools make them out to be.

The real fact is that neither of the sides is completely right even because we don't understand the whole thing.
A fact: The use of a pirate copy is immoral, ok.
Another fact: I don't know how thing are in the rest of the world, but in Brazil, they sell pirates copies of everything on the streets, no one will find it immoral here.
100_1466.jpg
See, this is also a fact. Now, how can people from different places with different cultures can agree with something so complicated as the game industry ?
That's why i said that "i don't like companies, i like video games". Not because i'm on a crusade against them or something, in fact, i cannot want them to go bankrupt because i want them to keep releasing games.
Another relevant thing: I don't like much online gaming, so if i had to choose, i will still keep pirating singleplayer games. Some people will choose online play.

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I sincerely don't think it's wrong or at least I can't imagine it affecting negatively my moral. It just seems to be wrong because a certain group of business man decided to demonize it.

Everyone pirates, there isn't a single person on this world that doesn't pirate in some form or another, I could give countless of examples where people pirate but don't see as a wrong thing because there wasn't someone to point the finger at them.

Public Libraries are a form of piracy and internet sharing is just an evolution of the same concept, it might take time for some people to accept that but it will eventualy happen.

If you're so adamant against piracy, I recommend you to stop browsing any websites as you don't know if the origins of what you're reading was taken from someone without their consent and you wouldn't want to stain your moral.

And referencing a few pages back, yeah, if I could photograph a Lamborghinni on the streets and them have a identical copy of it materialize out of thin air on my garage I would totaly do it.

When people like something or there is an undeniably everlasting quality to its craft them they will support it in a way or another even if the possibility of piracy is easier.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real fact is that neither of the sides is completely right even because we don't understand the whole thing.
A fact: The use of a pirate copy is immoral, ok.
Another fact: I don't know how thing are in the rest of the world, but in Brazil, they sell pirates copies of everything on the streets, no one will find it immoral here.
100_1466.jpg
See, this is also a fact. Now, how can people from different places with different cultures can agree with something so complicated as the game industry ?
That's why i said that "i don't like companies, i like video games". Not because i'm on a crusade against them or something, in fact, i cannot want them to go bankrupt because i want them to keep releasing games.
Another relevant thing: I don't like much online gaming, so if i had to choose, i will still keep pirating singleplayer games. Some people will choose online play.
Congratulations on being one of the few honest people in this discussion.

Skyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok so what some people said, it's that you should accept to be hurt but not them ?
Read this and learn http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ch...-Have-Our-Permission-Run-Promotion-41190.html
this is my last contribution because i'm tired about some of Gbatemp users think that every music, movie, games etc... compagnies is right with doing corrupt, more control and cut your liberty
now i understand why Apple have the possibility to f... the world with some sectarian words http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wo...tarian-dimension-to-beiruts-ongoing-conflict/
i mean that if you take every words that came from the company, you don't think by yourself, you think with the idea that the company tell you is bad or not... live your life seriously, enjoy your life and
keep your liberty next to you...

Bye and thanks :)

Reactions: Romsstar

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
this is my last contribution because i'm tired about some of Gbatemp users think that every music, movie, games etc... compagnies is right with doing corrupt, more control and cut your liberty
How in the world are these guys "cutting our liberty"?

Or are you just spouting off random buzzwords in an attempt to sound serious?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Entertainment is a basic human need. Okay. Fine. But apparently it is essential that the entertainment be brand new, high budget titles at the moment they come out, available to you at all times; it can't be the movies or music available on the TV or radio, or at the library, on loan, or cheaper older titles or freeware, oh no, that will not do! It is a basic human need, nay, bare necessity that the content be brand new, on the latest console, yours forever, and if someone can't afford that, it is perfectly okay and completely justified to pirate it instead of resorting to the tons and tons and tons of other material available dirt cheap or completely free. What is this world coming to when the most vital human needs such as the latest blockbuster titles are considered a "luxury"? :rolleyes:

Or maybe that whole justification is bullshit and people pirate because they really really don't want to pay and that's the long and the short of it.

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Entertainment is a basic human need. Okay. Fine. But apparently it is essential that the entertainment be brand new, high budget titles at the moment they come out, available to you at all times; it can't be the movies or music available on the TV or radio, or at the library, on loan, or cheaper older titles or freeware, oh no, that will not do! It is a basic human need, nay, bare necessity that the content be brand new, on the latest console, yours forever, and if someone can't afford that, it is perfectly okay and completely justified to pirate it instead of resorting to the tons and tons and tons of other material available dirt cheap or completely free. What is this world coming to when the most vital human needs such as the latest blockbuster titles are considered a "luxury"? :rolleyes:

Or maybe that whole justification is bullshit and people pirate because they really really don't want to pay and that's the long and the short of it.

I don't believe that such thing as "less wrong" exist. when you play a nes rom you're recurring to piracy as much as playing and xbox pirate game.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't believe that such thing as "less wrong" exist. when you play a nes rom you're recurring to piracy as much as playing and xbox pirate game.

Do you believe the material/financial cost to Nintendo is the same/less/greater for pirating a NES ROM versus a Wii ISO (or potentially 3DS or Wii U)?

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Back again... Let me tell you another thing that is going on here in Greece.
Almost any video club here in Greece (shops that rent movies per day) rent video games also. Which means that anyone can rent any game he wants for 2euro per 3 days and play any fcking game he wants... And guess what this is LEGAL. Isn't this piracy? Since company doesn't get money for every guy that rents the game and plays it for 2 euro? You can easily finish most of the games out there in 6 days which ends up being 4 euro and this is what almost anyone that doesn't pirate do here in Greece... Oh and not to mention that some games don't need disc in DVD rom to play so practically you rent it for 2e and then have it till you uninstall it ;) LEGALLY!!!!!!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Almost any video club here in Greece (shops that rent movies per day) rent video games also.

And how much do you think legal license to rent/rental copy costs? In the end the Games companies make their money back from someone....the rental cost pays the renting shop, the shop pays the publishers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu