Gaming When I quick Netflix it corrupts system files?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I return to the Wii menu from Netflix (both disc and channel) it randomly will tell me my system files are corrupt. I turn off the Wii, let it sit a minute, and start it back up, AND ITS FINE.

What exactly does the Wii look at when it returns to the menu from these applications? And What could be causing the issue?

Could it be my Trucha patched 36 (or whatever number it is). I have the latest cIOS in 249 or 250 (can't remember).

If anybody has any ideas on how to track this little issue down, I'd love to fix it. I'm afraid that one day it won't correct itself.

Guess its back to Netflix PS3. >.< I like the Wii app so much more. *sad*

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it only with Netflix disc/channel? I know the Channel is supposed to use IOS 56. Not sure about the disc.

I had this problem when I first installed Preloader (not Priiloader, though I guess it could happen to that too). Do you have that installed?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, just HBC, BootMii as IOS and Boot2, DVDx, and a couple WODE related channels (due to having a WODE). I seriously think it might have something to do with a patched IOS, but I have no idea. I'll get my IOS info later and post it, see if it might provide any clues.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Maybe IOS56 has patches. Make sure you install the latest IOS56 (non-stub, without any patches like trucha.. etc)

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As strange as it may seem, the latest version of Sign Check shows that I apparently have no patches whatsoever.
Code:
"SignCheck 0.3b aka loveSexWii build report"
"Wii region", Usa
"Wii unique device id", ********

"IOS number", "Trucha bug", "Flash access", "Boot2 access", "Usb2.0 IOS tree"

"IOS250 (ver 65535)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS249 (ver 20)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS70 (ver 6687)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS61 (ver 5405)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS58 (ver 6175)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS57 (ver 5661)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS56 (ver 5662)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS55 (ver 5406)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS53 (ver 5406)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS38 (ver 3867)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS37 (ver 3869)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS36 (ver 3351)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS35 (ver 3349)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS34 (ver 3348)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS33 (ver 3091)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS31 (ver 3349)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS28 (ver 1550)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS22 (ver 1037)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS17 (ver 775)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS14 (ver 520)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
"IOS13 (ver 273)", Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled

I don't know if this version did anything properly, since I'm able to install WiiWare with 249. Seems to me that would require 249 to allow Trucha signing, right? And that my 36 has nothing? Doesn't make sense. I'm still at a loss, but Netflix is down now anyway so there's no rush to figure this out. My Wii still starts up fine, so maybe if I just turn the Wii off from the Netflix app instead of returning to menu I should be alright. I'd still like to figure this out, but at least I have a safe (for now) workaround.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So last night I used Netflix (when it came back up), and just shutdown strait from it. When I went to go turn my Wii on today, and it said the system files were corrupt. I shut it off, and turned it back on, and it was fine. I'm really getting worried about this. Is there a way to check whatever system files the Wii is looking at, and make sure everything is okay?

Just what could be corrupted to cause this, but only after Netflix is run?

Shouldn't this warrant research? I'll help if somebody can help me find the info to look at.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try an older version of SignCheck, which I know worked. The wife's off work today, and sick, so she's sleeping in. (The Wii's in the bedroom.) I'll edit my post later with the info.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, the earlier version did show some patches, but froze before it could put out a report. I have to run right now, but I'll try to find a way to get this info on here in a little bit. I feel I'm close! So close!

EDIT: Is there something else besides SignCheck that can tell me my IOS info? I'm having no luck with it.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I got my IOS info from DOPMii (v12). Good results, methinks.

Code:
"DOP-Mii Report"
"Region", North America (U)
"Hollywood Version", 0x11
"Wii Unique DeviceID", ********

IOS Version, FakeSign, ES_Identify, NAND, Flash
"250 (v65535)",Enabled,Enabled,Enabled,Disabled
"249 (v20)",Enabled,Enabled,Enabled,Disabled
"70ÂÂ(v6687)",Enabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"61ÂÂ(v5405)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"58ÂÂ(v6175)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"57ÂÂ(v5661)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"56ÂÂ(v5662)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"55ÂÂ(v5406)",Enabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"53ÂÂ(v5406)",Enabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"38ÂÂ(v3867)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"37ÂÂ(v3869)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"36ÂÂ(v3351)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"35ÂÂ(v3349)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"34ÂÂ(v3348)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"33ÂÂ(v3091)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"31ÂÂ(v3349)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"28ÂÂ(v1550)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"22ÂÂ(v1037)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"21ÂÂ(v782)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"17ÂÂ(v775)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"15ÂÂ(v523)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"14ÂÂ(v520)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"13ÂÂ(v273)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"12ÂÂ(v269)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled
"9ÂÂ (v778)",Disabled,Disabled,Disabled,Disabled

So, my questions: Do 55 and 53 NEED to be patched for anything? I know 70 does for launching from the SD Menu. If 55 and 53 don't need patched for anything. can I reinstall non-patched versions with DOPMii and be okay? If it seems safe to do so, I'll try it. I'm gonna go make a BootMii NAND Backup first, and then check back here.

EDIT: NAND Backup done, so here's my plan. I'm going to install a non-patched 55, then test Netflix. If it works, then I'll install and non-patched 53, and text again to make sure it still works. If 55 doesn't work, I'll move onto 53. If nothing works, then I'll post. If SOMETHING seems to work, I'll post, but with happy sunshine dances and a massive fanfare of trumpets to declare that Netflix looks for a patched 55 or 53 when quitting. We'll see what happens here shortly.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I FIXED IT! (I'm pretty sure.) I unpatched 55, and tested Netflix. When just flat out quitting once it loaded, it went back to the menu just fine. I went back in and tried playing something for about 1 minute, quit, and the corruption message came up.

So then I went on to unpatch 53, and tested it again. A quit once it loaded yielded the same results as with 55. I then played the same video for the same minute, and quit, and it loaded the main Wii menu just fine! I did it again just to be sure, and it went back just fine! Apparently Netflix uses 53 to return to the Wii Menu after playing video. (Or at least checks it or something.)

The reason I'm saying I'm pretty sure I got it is because small tests may not be accurate indicators. I'm pretty sure I'll watch some more anime tonight, so I'll follow up with post with a long-term test done.

Does anybody with a PATCHED 55 and/or 53 have any issues with this? I think it'd be good to put together a knowledge base for anybody that runs into this themselves.
happy.gif

Here's hoping it's fixed! I'll be back tonight after a larger run. Gotta entertain kids now...(the joys of being a stay-at-home dad)

EDIT: Also, sorry for the almost constant double posting, but I think the fact that I'm doing more than just bumping justifies it. I've provided new information each time.
happy.gif

EDIT: BAW!!! It did it again! This time I just did a search, didn't even watch anything, and quit. And it did it again. Now I am completely at a loss...
Does anybody know what the Wii looks at when starting up or returning to the menu besides IOS files? Could it be something with the Netflix save? Or maybe because I downloaded it from the store officially instead of a WAD install? I don't know why that would make a difference, but I'm really trying to think of whatever I can.

EDIT: I found a wad for the channel, I'm trying this that way. I'll report once proper testing is completed.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From everything I can gather, the WAD install is working fine. My wife watched Firefly all day yesterday, and didn't say anything about corrupted files.

Here's my theory: The download from the Nintendo Store had a signature that conflicted with my hacked IOS files. (Obviously not completely, since I was able to use it still.) It may also be that I'm still on 4.2U, but have 4.3 IOS versions. Either way, the official download didn't work. When I installed the WAD (which wasn't initially signed), my cIOS signed it in a way that my Wii would not conflict with, as with my WiiWare and such.

So, if you have the ability to install WAD files, find the WAD for Netflix and do it that way. (There's no getting around paying for a Netflix account, but at $9/mo for unlimited movie streaming why wouldn't you do it?)

If at any moment this starts acting up again, I'll post. But it seems that the WAD install was my answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs