Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I do not have a modchip and there aren't really any advantages of one system menu over another, I am on 4.3u. I have kids, so I prefer having the current system menu in case one of them figures out my password and decides to update.

I suspect that people currently on 4.2 will eventually update to 4.3, since there are no disadvantages to being on 4.3. A similar migration occurred from 4.1 to 4.2 after hacking to 4.2 became easy.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
I would like to see those pictures.
QUOTE(techboy @ Aug 2 2010, 04:41 PM) I'll post some pics in a bit. Need to go find a camera...
Here's the pics. Sorry the menu pics have all that "ripple" distortion from my TV...that's the best my camera can do. I have a USB TV capture box, but it's in storage. I haven't used it since 2007. If you want clearer ones or a video, ask and I'll get it out.

A few pics of the menu and settings: http://img831.imageshack.us/g/p9010120.jpg/

Scans of part of a launch-day manual I based the settings menu hack on: http://img715.imageshack.us/g/page3d.jpg/ Thanks go to a friend of mine for these. My manual is a month and a half too new...has 2.0 pics
frown.gif

As for how this little project of mine came out, it looks and acts the part, but it's no substitute for a real 1.0 menu. Apparently 1.0 is impossible to find, since a few hours worth of googling found zilch except for a mention of the wad being needed to run the wii menu on Dolphin.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
fudgenuts64 said:
QUOTE(techboy @ Aug 2 2010, 04:41 PM) I'll post some pics in a bit. Need to go find a camera...
Here's the pics. Sorry the menu pics have all that "ripple" distortion from my TV...that's the best my camera can do. I have a USB TV capture box, but it's in storage. I haven't used it since 2007. If you want clearer ones or a video, ask and I'll get it out.

A few pics of the menu and settings: http://img831.imageshack.us/g/p9010120.jpg/

Scans of part of a launch-day manual I based the settings menu hack on: http://img715.imageshack.us/g/page3d.jpg/ Thanks go to a friend of mine for these. My manual is a month and a half too new...has 2.0 pics
frown.gif

As for how this little project of mine came out, it looks and acts the part, but it's no substitute for a real 1.0 menu. Apparently 1.0 is impossible to find, since a few hours worth of googling found zilch except for a mention of the wad being needed to run the wii menu on Dolphin.

Thanks for sending the pics of this custom 1.0 system menu. I have also tried locating menu 1.0 and 2.1u and I have never had any luck. I would love to try doing this myself - would it be possible to post instructions on how to modify a system menu to look like 1.0 (perhaps as another topic)?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
Thanks for sending the pics of this custom 1.0 system menu. I have also tried locating menu 1.0 and 2.1u and I have never had any luck. I would love to try doing this myself - would it be possible to post instructions on how to modify a system menu to look like 1.0 (perhaps as another topic)?
No problem. I made this a little while back (in June), but never bothered to post it because I figured nobody would care. I'm glad to see some interest in this!
smile.gif
smile.gif

For your comment on looking for 2.1U...you can't find it because it doesn't exist. There's no 2.1J either. 2.1 was a PAL only update for the news channel.

As for instructions, that'd be extremely time-consuming, and difficult. Documenting the exact procedure would take forever since I had to modify 20+ HTML files, add another 50+ files (taken from 2.0J), hack the DOL, alter the TMD, make a BRLYT hack (and learn how to use benzin), and replace a few graphics to make it what it is now.

If you REALLY want documentation on how to do it, I'll be happy to try writing some up, but I have a feeling it'll be difficult to do if it's even possible.

If you just want to enjoy the nostalgic goodness of 1.0 without the headache of making your own hack, I'll be happy to release mine. If someone wants it, let me know, and I'll make a legal package for it (easier than it sounds...can do it in an hour).

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
fudgenuts64 said:

frown.gif

There has to be a Wii somewhere with 1.0. We should start a topic about it.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
If you just want to enjoy the nostalgic goodness of 1.0 without the headache of making your own hack, I'll be happy to release mine. If someone wants it, let me know, and I'll make a legal package for it (easier than it sounds...can do it in an hour).

Count me in - I'd love a legal means to modify menu 2.0 to 1.0
yaywii.gif
. And thanks for the info on 2.1 - I had no idea that my search was in vain. Thanks again for telling us about this!

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
techboy said:

yaywii.gif
. And thanks for the info on 2.1 - I had no idea that my search was in vain. Thanks again for telling us about this!
I'll start working on it.

There's only one bug I can't seem to fix: I can't lock the channels in place. In real 1.0, you can't drag them around by holding A+B. In mine, you can. If anyone reading this is good at ASM hacking, a DOL patch for 2.0U to disable this feature would be helpful.

Other than that, it has no issues as far as I'm aware. 97% of the menu matches the pictures in the linked manual pics. The other 3% is for any mistakes I may have missed. AFAIK, there aren't any (beyond the movable channels), but I'd rather not say it's perfect. I know someone who called a piece of software he made "perfect"...it got ugly, fast.

As of right now, it will likely come as a series of XDelta patch files and a Windows CMD script to put the thing together. Once the Windows version is out the door, I might look for someone to make a linux version.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
xfcrowman said:
techboy said:

yaywii.gif
I'll start working on it.

There's only one bug I can't seem to fix: I can't lock the channels in place. In real 1.0, you can't drag them around by holding A+B. In mine, you can. If anyone reading this is good at ASM hacking, a DOL patch for 2.0U to disable this feature would be helpful.

Other than that, it has no issues as far as I'm aware. 97% of the menu matches the pictures in the linked manual pics. The other 3% is for any mistakes I may have missed. AFAIK, there aren't any (beyond the movable channels), but I'd rather not say it's perfect. I know someone who called a piece of software he made "perfect"...it got ugly, fast.

As of right now, it will likely come as a series of XDelta patch files and a Windows CMD script to put the thing together. Once the Windows version is out the door, I might look for someone to make a linux version.
Awesome! Thanks for putting this together - it will be really cool to have a look at 1.0 on SNEEK!

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
4.2U with no plans on updating unless nintendo offers something that I want (like gamecube remote support on the wii menu, still not worth losing all my homebrews for though...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves