Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
Not saying you wrong, but it not possible to find everything or evidences of everything in the past.
I know, but in the case of an event that would have affected all of the planet not so long ago would leave some kind of trace. A global flood didn't happen. That is cold, hard fact. If it did, there wouldn't be Egyptians today, as their civilization predates the assumed time the flood took place. The same can be said for the chinese and the mayas. There was definetely NOT a global flood. There was a major LOCAL flood that happened at the Black Sea, but the whole planet wasn't affected.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Simple displacement theories would suggest that a boat carrying 2 of every kind of animal would imply multiple things:

That the earth was one giant land mass so they could easily be rounded up.
The boat would have to be the length of at least 3 football fields and a few hundred feet tall.
If two of every animal were saved, there would need to be enough food to last through the flood which would increase the weight of the ship.
The amount of water that would be required to displace a boat so large would ultimately just flood areas for miles upon miles. Also, there were no ports so how would you get a boat of such size into the Black Sea or anywhere for that matter without actually building it on water?
How does God know anything about engineering a boat larger then the Titanic? If he did, then the knowledge of such engineering would have been passed down through the centuries and we would have discovered much of the world a lot sooner then we did. For example Canada and the USA were colonized by Europeans during the 15th century. Why in the hell were there not boats of proportion to Noah's Ark by then if it actually existed?

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSGamer64 said:
Simple displacement theories would suggest that a boat carrying 2 of every kind of animal would imply multiple things:

That the earth was one giant land mass so they could easily be rounded up.
The boat would have to be the length of at least 3 football fields and a few hundred feet tall.
If two of every animal were saved, there would need to be enough food to last through the flood which would increase the weight of the ship.
The amount of water that would be required to displace a boat so large would ultimately just flood areas for miles upon miles. Also, there were no ports so how would you get a boat of such size into the Black Sea or anywhere for that matter without actually building it on water?
How does God know anything about engineering a boat larger then the Titanic? If he did, then the knowledge of such engineering would have been passed down through the centuries and we would have discovered much of the world a lot sooner then we did. For example Canada and the USA were colonized by Europeans during the 15th century. Why in the hell were there not boats of proportion to Noah's Ark by then if it actually existed?
How many arks do you think were needed back then with the capacity to carry millions of animals and also stop them all from eating each other even though they are all part of the food chain and would need to to survive?!

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
How many arks do you think were needed back then with the capacity to carry millions of animals and also stop them all from eating each other even though they are all part of the food chain and would need to to survive?!
His point is that the boat-building knowledge would have been passed down, as everything else has. Nothing reflects that it was passed down.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
injected11 said:
antwill said:
His point is that the boat-building knowledge would have been passed down, as everything else has. Nothing reflects that it was passed down.
And my point was, why try and over think the already ridiculous?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm late to the party here as they say, but anyways...

My personal religion is non-denominational Christian, as I believe I do not need any intermediary between myself and God. I do not need somebody to tell me what the Bible says for two reasons - a) I can read and b) true understanding can only come with the gift of illumination anyways. That doesn''t mean I won't listen to what other people say, but I do not automatically just take somebody elses interpenetration as the truth. That said, I do not claim any special understanding beyond my own personal interpretations, and the other outside reading I have done in parallel. Do I believe the Bible to be divinely inspired? Yes. Do I believe it is 100% literal? No, I believe a lot of it is to be taken metaphorically and/or in relation to the timeframe.
So, a few thoughts on topics from the last few pages of this:

-pre-flood people living for very long times
Long ages are not unique to the people; for instance, the sumerian king lists of the same era (3rd millennium bc) list reigns of 72,000 years each, which is much more absurd.

My personal belief is that the ages are more of a summary of a clan then of a single person. For instance, when it says that Noah lived 950 years, I believe this to be referring to Noah and his descendants. This is backed up by the very common theme of genealogies in Genesis frequently having exactly 10 names; the long ages fill in the gaps and summarize from one major patriarch to the next.

Other people believe that the ages serve a literary function, which I can also see, but I like my idea better.

-Moses age
Just a correction to whoever said Moses died at 1000 - he died at 120 according to DT 34:7

-The flood
I believe that the flood was local and constrained to the area of the patriarchs. As far as they were concerned, that was the "world". Considering how many non-biblical sources there are backing up a "great flood", I fully believe it happened. There's a good (but long) write up of this at http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/localflood.html

-------
EDIT: The Ark
We know the size of The Ark from Ge 6:15 - "This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high." Converting, that is about 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Big, yes, but not outside the realms of possibility for the knowledge at the time. Considering the flood was local, we just need the animals known to the patriarchs, which severely limits the number. Certainly there weren't penguins, polar bears, whatever else on the ark.

For comparison, the Titanic was 882 ft 9 in long 175 ft high.
-------

-Dinosaurs
I'm sure dinosaurs on the ark were meant as a joke, but that would be impossible, as we all know they were long gone by then. Some people then ask, why aren't they mentioned in the Bible? Simply put, they aren't important in the grand scheme of things. If you're telling people in the desert 3,000 years ago about how you created the universe, would you mention animals that died 65MYA? I doubt it. You try writting a one page summary of 4.5BY of creation and see how well you do:)

-Age of the earth
I'm a "Day-age" person, which means I believe that the days in Genesis 1 are not literal "days" but instead indeterminate periods of time. The hebrew word used is yom, which means "a peroid of time". This goes with above - if God had told the patriarchs he created the Universe by causing a quantum instability in a one dimensional point that then expanded into all energy and matter, tweaked the laws of physics to his liking, guided evolution, etc,etc, they would not have understood any of it. So he simplified.

-Evolution (I know it wasn't mentioned per se, just throwing it in)
I believe God used evolution as his tool of creation. He set the framework of the universe up more or less as a giant program with set variables and let it run, tweaking it here and there. I do not believe in random, non directed evolution for a variety of reasons that are way too long to get into here, as this post is already huge.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
*snip*This is probably the only long post in this entire topic that I've read through completely to the end. I thought the points you brought up were interesting, mysticwaterfall. I'm not a Christian, but at least I can respect your well-thought-out discourse. I can only hope this would set the bar for what other posts in this topic should be like.

mysticwaterfall said:
-Dinosaurs
I'm sure dinosaurs on the ark were meant as a joke, but that would be impossible, as we all know they were long gone by then. Some people then ask, why aren't they mentioned in the Bible? Simply put, they aren't important in the grand scheme of things. If you're telling people in the desert 3,000 years ago about how you created the universe, would you mention animals that died 65MYA? I doubt it. You try writting a one page summary of 4.5BY of creation and see how well you do:)I'm not sure if you're familiar with Job 40:15-24, but it describes a large animal that doesn't match the description of any animal alive today. I'm not saying this is proof of anything, but it's just interesting to note.

QUOTE(Infinite Zero @ Apr 11 2011, 12:20 AM)
This topic was asking what our religion is. Not some history lesson.. sigh.
This discussion strayed from the original topic several hundred posts ago. There's no way to stop a topic like this from evolving from "What's your religion?" to "Explain your beliefs." The only reason this topic hasn't been locked is because no one has started flinging feces at each other yet (though a few breakouts have been averted with mod intervention). Let's hope it stays that way.

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Infinite Zero said:
Yeah, I agree with you.
closedeyes.gif
What's your religion IZ?

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Provided that elephants were part of the "clean" animals, then there should have been 14 elephants within the ark. I'm not totally sure about how strong the ark supposedly was, but since it's made out of wood, the ark would probably break under the weight of 14 elephants together with many more animals.

Of course, this is purely hypothetical, but with the circumstances, I think that the ark is illogical. The flood is a possibility, I've been toying with the idea of the ice from the ice age melting and stuff, and since the flood is also mentioned in other cultures.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
Provided that elephants were part of the "clean" animals, then there should have been 14 elephants within the ark. I'm not totally sure about how strong the ark supposedly was, but since it's made out of wood, the ark would probably break under the weight of 14 elephants together with many more animals.

Of course, this is purely hypothetical, but with the circumstances, I think that the ark is illogical. The flood is a possibility, I've been toying with the idea of the ice from the ice age melting and stuff, and since the flood is also mentioned in other cultures.

Wood is actually a very resilient material when put together correctly. It just falls under the troubles of any material like it if finish isn't applied properly, a sharp object is on board, etc. Really, really off topic though.

Of course the ark is illogical though. The concept of collecting two of supposedly every creature on the entire planet is as far fetched as could be. The world was already fairly disconnected at the time that tale occurs. No single person could ever achieve such a task, as the travel and collection would be impossible. Add that to the fact that every creature would have to get along while predator and prey were in the same place, and you have one screwed up, impossible scenario.

Floods were common after each ice age though. As far as I know, no single flood ever encased the entire planet. Pretty sure that is geologically impossible without one hell of a cataclysmic event that would wipe out near every living thing anyways.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
FiReFoX_7 said:
Infinite Zero said:
Yeah, I agree with you.
closedeyes.gif
What's your religion IZ?

C'mon guys (well, girl to IZ). Debates are fun.
biggrin.gif
Besides, you can expect it out of any thread that starts with religion. Perhaps we should bring the old Temp Debates thing back, I used to love those threads.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Necron N.N said:
I can answer that. But you need to supose some things based on faith.
When God said to Noah to make the arc, he gave him some instructions on how to make it. I can't remember now, but it was very very large and big (it took him like 100 years to make it)

It wasn't huge at all, it was only 300 cubits long, that's 137 meters, and tiny little dwarf by todays shipping standards. There is no way 2 of every animal on earth would have fit. It wouldn't take anywhere near 100 years to build, even by himself.

-- Why are other planets not mentioned by holy texts? There are billions and billions of them after all.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
-- Why are other planets not mentioned by holy texts? There are billions and billions of them after all.
Because the people who wrote those books, when the stories had been told for generations didn't know about the other planets, or evolution. That's why they only claim the Earth is thousands of years old, etc. And as has been said, you need to ignore evidence for faith to be maintained.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mysticwaterfall said:
I know I'm late to the party here as they say, but anyways...

My personal religion is non-denominational Christian, as I believe I do not need any intermediary between myself and God. I do not need somebody to tell me what the Bible says for two reasons - a) I can read and b) true understanding can only come with the gift of illumination anyways. That doesn''t mean I won't listen to what other people say, but I do not automatically just take somebody elses interpenetration as the truth. That said, I do not claim any special understanding beyond my own personal interpretations, and the other outside reading I have done in parallel. Do I believe the Bible to be divinely inspired? Yes. Do I believe it is 100% literal? No, I believe a lot of it is to be taken metaphorically and/or in relation to the timeframe.
So, a few thoughts on topics from the last few pages of this:

-pre-flood people living for very long times
Long ages are not unique to the people; for instance, the sumerian king lists of the same era (3rd millennium bc) list reigns of 72,000 years each, which is much more absurd.

My personal belief is that the ages are more of a summary of a clan then of a single person. For instance, when it says that Noah lived 950 years, I believe this to be referring to Noah and his descendants. This is backed up by the very common theme of genealogies in Genesis frequently having exactly 10 names; the long ages fill in the gaps and summarize from one major patriarch to the next.

Other people believe that the ages serve a literary function, which I can also see, but I like my idea better.

-Moses age
Just a correction to whoever said Moses died at 1000 - he died at 120 according to DT 34:7

-The flood
I believe that the flood was local and constrained to the area of the patriarchs. As far as they were concerned, that was the "world". Considering how many non-biblical sources there are backing up a "great flood", I fully believe it happened. There's a good (but long) write up of this at http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/localflood.html

-------
EDIT: The Ark
We know the size of The Ark from Ge 6:15 - "This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high." Converting, that is about 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Big, yes, but not outside the realms of possibility for the knowledge at the time. Considering the flood was local, we just need the animals known to the patriarchs, which severely limits the number. Certainly there weren't penguins, polar bears, whatever else on the ark.

For comparison, the Titanic was 882 ft 9 in long 175 ft high.
-------

-Dinosaurs
I'm sure dinosaurs on the ark were meant as a joke, but that would be impossible, as we all know they were long gone by then. Some people then ask, why aren't they mentioned in the Bible? Simply put, they aren't important in the grand scheme of things. If you're telling people in the desert 3,000 years ago about how you created the universe, would you mention animals that died 65MYA? I doubt it. You try writting a one page summary of 4.5BY of creation and see how well you do:)

-Age of the earth
I'm a "Day-age" person, which means I believe that the days in Genesis 1 are not literal "days" but instead indeterminate periods of time. The hebrew word used is yom, which means "a peroid of time". This goes with above - if God had told the patriarchs he created the Universe by causing a quantum instability in a one dimensional point that then expanded into all energy and matter, tweaked the laws of physics to his liking, guided evolution, etc,etc, they would not have understood any of it. So he simplified.

-Evolution (I know it wasn't mentioned per se, just throwing it in)
I believe God used evolution as his tool of creation. He set the framework of the universe up more or less as a giant program with set variables and let it run, tweaking it here and there. I do not believe in random, non directed evolution for a variety of reasons that are way too long to get into here, as this post is already huge.
Your point of view is surprisingly similar to the one the Muslims have. Might I suggest you read the Qur'an? Very interesting book.

antwill said:
QUOTE(spinal_cord @ Apr 11 2011, 05:51 PM) -- Why are other planets not mentioned by holy texts? There are billions and billions of them after all.
Because the people who wrote those books, when the stories had been told for generations didn't know about the other planets, or evolution. That's why they only claim the Earth is thousands of years old, etc. And as has been said, you need to ignore evidence for faith to be maintained.
I remember seeing a mention of life on other planets in the Qur'an.

Vigilante

TempLurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why is it when there is the word RELIGION in it kingdomblade just comes in and argues about it.(No one argues about your religion.)
Why doesn't he just stop does debates(Is she showing her greatness in debates or just solely her great intelligence?)
Just stop and be friendly for everyone's sake.
I mean it makes you look like a debate geek.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vigilante said:
Why is it when there is the word RELIGION in it kingdomblade just comes in and argues about it.(No one argues about your religion.)
Why doesn't she just stop does debates(Is she showing her greatness in debates or just solely her great intelligence?)
Just stop and be friendly for everyone's sake.
I mean it makes you look like a debate geek.
Kingdom's a dude...
And debates are really fun, particularly about religion.
What's wrong with being a debate geek? Aren't we all a bit geeky?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY