What's your general opinion of Christianity?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by TerribleTy27, Oct 4, 2018.

1. TerribleTy27
    OP

TerribleTy27 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    Before anyone flames me with examples of the Old Testsment, keep in mind that it was made when God was playing favourites with the Jews. It took place in a completely different culture that is now invalidated by the New Testament as mentioned In John, Romans, and others. From Jesus and onwards, Christians were supposed to follow the two commandments: Love your God with all your heart soul mind and strength, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Idk about you, but that sounds like a good philosophy no matter where you look from.

So, now. Opinions?

Gekkodox and CaptainSodaPop like this.
  2. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    There is no God, so therefore it's not a good philosophy

x65943, XorTroll, Pablobel and 14 others like this.
  3. TerribleTy27
    OP

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    Note the YOUR in there. Everyone has a god. Not necessarily the Christian one, but it's still there.

elBenyo likes this.
  4. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    90 percent of Christians and thus Christianity on a whole is a crock pile of shit.

They go on and on about their faith "As a christian!" or "That's not christian like." when Jesus basically said "Shut the fuck up."

Matthew 6:5- "5: And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6: But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7: And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard."

In other words.. Shut up about your relationship between your god. that's between him and you and no one else.

Also they constantly go on and on about how god is quote/unquote "All loving." yet the supposed Omnipotent all loving god can't keep people from getting gunned down in his own churches. Oh.. But that's his "Plan." but of course Abortions are never part of his "Plan." despite the fact he never says a damn thing about them in the bible, if anything he's pro-abortion considering he ordered people to rip the wombs from women.

Also if he's omnipotent and all loving why the hell does he have to "Test" us all the damn time?

And what did Satan ever do that was so wrong?

Last edited by Tigran, Oct 4, 2018
  5. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Oct 4, 2018, Reason: useless.
    Oct 4, 2018
  6. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    People should be more like Jesus and stop trying to be the King.

bennyman123abc, brickmii82 and BORTZ like this.
  7. TerribleTy27
    OP

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    Lol, too true. The modern version of Christianity has really become a pile of dog crap, not arguing that for a second.

8. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Can't disagree with that. Most people who call themselves Christians today have no concept of how it even became a widespread religion. Ask them what happened at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge and they just stare back, or maybe assume you're on Satan's team.

Vorde and TerribleTy27 like this.
  9. Tigran

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Hell.. If I believed in the bible at all, I'd be on team Satan.. He didn't do anything at all.

MRJPGames likes this.
  10. TerribleTy27
    OP

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    Supposedly, Satan attempted to usurp God. Idk. The bible really isn't clear on some of the earlier mythos. Oftentimes they leave the biggest hanging threads and it is the worst from a storytelling perspective.

11. Tigran

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    You know.. at least other religions/mythologies gave explanations on how their gods came to be and such.

TomboyGamerXL and TerribleTy27 like this.
  12. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Gandhi disputably has said something along the lines of, "I love your Christ, but not your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike Christ." While people can argue on whether or not he actually said that, it pretty much sums up my feelings. If you're a Christian and preach your religion, and actually follow those teachings of love and tolerance, I think that's just fine. It's when you start beating people overhead with the Bible that I get mad.

13. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    Eh, even in the New Testament Jesus instilled in his disciples that the old Jewish law is still acknowledged as the supreme word of God and must continue to be upheld forever. Which is probably why the Old Testament is still a part of pretty much all Christian bibles and is still read and taught.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17-20

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--a man's enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:34-39

A lot of the love and peace talk seems to only really apply to Jewish people, people who practice that faith and follow the old laws. People who do not subscribe strictly to their religion and all of the rules do not seem to qualify for such kind treatment. In fact these passages seem to condone violence against those who don't, or at least a trip straight to hell.

Last edited by granville, Oct 4, 2018
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. TerribleTy27
    OP

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    I sincerely disagree, and I feel like you're misinterpreting these statements. I always assumed that Matt 5:17-20 was referring to the 10 commandments. And in regards to Matt 10:34-39, it's clearly metaphorical. He wants you to take up your cross and follow. Even if you make enemies of your family and friends while doing so.

Again, I disagree. All throughout the New Testament, Jesus and others make it very clear you should love everyone, even your enemies. That you should give your stuff to the needy, etc.

I suppose this loops back to the big issue of Christianity. Interpretation. The bible makes it clear that if a person thinks something is a sin, then it becomes a sin. The bible really is more of an ethics guidebook, more then anything else. Your supposed to build your morality system off of it by carefully examining all the passages, praying, etc.

Last edited by TerribleTy27, Oct 4, 2018
  15. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Ech same with all religions, while there is some good life philosophy in there, there is also a lot of trash.

Heichart likes this.
  16. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    trash like the rest of religions

CallmeBerto likes this.
  17. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    New Testament's even worse. Before, you just died, now you have to worry about eternal suffering.

18. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I put them roughly on par with Muslims and Jews: the majority of them just want to get by in the world and do good, but there are some jackasses in each group.

Same goes for agnostics and atheists (that's my group), but the lack of stupid rituals means they have more time to play video games. :tpi:

19. kingfrost

kingfrost GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2018
    United States
    I think they're people like you and me. Like most people, they can be good or bad. They can be peaceful or militant.

The only times I have trouble with the religion as a whole is when people insist it should be applied to my decisions. Other than, I don't care who you worship.

20. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    show me the christian that comes even close to living by the word of jesus.

TomboyGamerXL and brickmii82 like this.
  21. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, let me say this. It's my personal belief and I find all religion to be based upon evil. It's always someone that wish to control the masses. This was easier to do in the past since the lower education, people always try to find something to rely on so Religion seem to hold all the answers.

In short, fuck religion.

22. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I'm not religious and I never will be.
    I respect other peoples decision to follow a religion, it's their choice after all.
    I just don't want them to bother me with it.