• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What's your general opinion of Christianity?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 23,602
  • Replies 332
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
Before anyone flames me with examples of the Old Testsment, keep in mind that it was made when God was playing favourites with the Jews. It took place in a completely different culture that is now invalidated by the New Testament as mentioned In John, Romans, and others. From Jesus and onwards, Christians were supposed to follow the two commandments: Love your God with all your heart soul mind and strength, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Idk about you, but that sounds like a good philosophy no matter where you look from.

So, now. Opinions?

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
90 percent of Christians and thus Christianity on a whole is a crock pile of shit.

They go on and on about their faith "As a christian!" or "That's not christian like." when Jesus basically said "Shut the fuck up."

Matthew 6:5- "5: And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6: But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7: And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard."

In other words.. Shut up about your relationship between your god. that's between him and you and no one else.

Also they constantly go on and on about how god is quote/unquote "All loving." yet the supposed Omnipotent all loving god can't keep people from getting gunned down in his own churches. Oh.. But that's his "Plan." but of course Abortions are never part of his "Plan." despite the fact he never says a damn thing about them in the bible, if anything he's pro-abortion considering he ordered people to rip the wombs from women.

Also if he's omnipotent and all loving why the hell does he have to "Test" us all the damn time?

And what did Satan ever do that was so wrong?

Last edited by Tigran,
D

Deleted User

OP
Matthew 6:5- "5: And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6: But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7: And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard."

In other words.. Shut up about you're relationship between you're god. that's between him and you and no one else.
Lol, too true. The modern version of Christianity has really become a pile of dog crap, not arguing that for a second.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, too true. The modern version of Christianity has really become a pile of dog crap, not arguing that for a second.

Can't disagree with that. Most people who call themselves Christians today have no concept of how it even became a widespread religion. Ask them what happened at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge and they just stare back, or maybe assume you're on Satan's team.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't disagree with that. Most people who call themselves Christians today have no concept of how it even became a widespread religion. Ask them what happened at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge and they just stare back, or maybe assume you're on Satan's team.

Hell.. If I believed in the bible at all, I'd be on team Satan.. He didn't do anything at all.

Reactions: MRJPGames
D

Deleted User

OP
Hell.. If I believed in the bible at all, I'd be on team Satan.. He didn't do anything at all.

Supposedly, Satan attempted to usurp God. Idk. The bible really isn't clear on some of the earlier mythos. Oftentimes they leave the biggest hanging threads and it is the worst from a storytelling perspective.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gandhi disputably has said something along the lines of, "I love your Christ, but not your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike Christ." While people can argue on whether or not he actually said that, it pretty much sums up my feelings. If you're a Christian and preach your religion, and actually follow those teachings of love and tolerance, I think that's just fine. It's when you start beating people overhead with the Bible that I get mad.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, even in the New Testament Jesus instilled in his disciples that the old Jewish law is still acknowledged as the supreme word of God and must continue to be upheld forever. Which is probably why the Old Testament is still a part of pretty much all Christian bibles and is still read and taught.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17-20

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--a man's enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:34-39

A lot of the love and peace talk seems to only really apply to Jewish people, people who practice that faith and follow the old laws. People who do not subscribe strictly to their religion and all of the rules do not seem to qualify for such kind treatment. In fact these passages seem to condone violence against those who don't, or at least a trip straight to hell.

Last edited by granville,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

OP
Eh, even in the New Testament Jesus instilled in his disciples that the old Jewish law is still acknowledged as the supreme word of God and must continue to be upheld forever. Which is probably why the Old Testament is still a part of pretty much all Christian bibles and is still read and taught.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17-20

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--a man's enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:34-39

I sincerely disagree, and I feel like you're misinterpreting these statements. I always assumed that Matt 5:17-20 was referring to the 10 commandments. And in regards to Matt 10:34-39, it's clearly metaphorical. He wants you to take up your cross and follow. Even if you make enemies of your family and friends while doing so.

A lot of the love and peace talk seems to only really apply to Jewish people, people who practice that faith and follow the old laws. People who do not subscribe strictly to their religion and all of the rules do not seem to qualify for such kind treatment. In fact these passages seem to condone violence against those who don't, or at least a trip straight to hell.

Again, I disagree. All throughout the New Testament, Jesus and others make it very clear you should love everyone, even your enemies. That you should give your stuff to the needy, etc.

I suppose this loops back to the big issue of Christianity. Interpretation. The bible makes it clear that if a person thinks something is a sin, then it becomes a sin. The bible really is more of an ethics guidebook, more then anything else. Your supposed to build your morality system off of it by carefully examining all the passages, praying, etc.

Last edited by ,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I put them roughly on par with Muslims and Jews: the majority of them just want to get by in the world and do good, but there are some jackasses in each group.

Same goes for agnostics and atheists (that's my group), but the lack of stupid rituals means they have more time to play video games. :tpi:

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they're people like you and me. Like most people, they can be good or bad. They can be peaceful or militant.

The only times I have trouble with the religion as a whole is when people insist it should be applied to my decisions. Other than, I don't care who you worship.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, let me say this. It's my personal belief and I find all religion to be based upon evil. It's always someone that wish to control the masses. This was easier to do in the past since the lower education, people always try to find something to rely on so Religion seem to hold all the answers.

In short, fuck religion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...