Gaming What's wrong with Sega? Why so much crap?

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What happened to Sega? They were once Nintendo's big rival, they made games that people wanted to play (at least the arcade games), and with the Dreamcast they had probably their best run in making games for the doomed beauty. Since the death of the dreamcast, and the switch from hardware/software to just software, sega have continually produced crap game after crap game.

What was the last good Sega game you remember? Have Sega lost their way as a software developer/publisher or am I being to hard on them?

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
No, they've lost their way. Completely and totally. I'm a fan of the 3D Sonic games, but they're glitchy as hell, and the voice acting is awful. Honestly the last good SEGA game I played was probably... Shinobi for the PS2, or perhaps Gungrave.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They've always made crap games its just that they don't make so many good ones. I could go on about there lazy port of the Xbox version of House of the Dead 2 & 3 to the Wii but they've always did lazy ports. Anyone remember Sonic 3D for the Saturn?

Recent good Sega developed games: Super Monkey Ball 2, F-Zero GX/AX, Sonic Rush, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, House of the Dead 4, Virtua Tennis 3, After Burner: Black Falcon, Sega Rally 360. Nights Wii is suppose to be really good.

They have the licenses for many of the future Marvel games, I just hope they don't sod them up.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In the days of the dreamcast sega had some great original titles. Powerstone, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Tennis to name a few. The last great console games were on the dreamcast. Now the good games seem to be the sonics on the DS. Sega these days just seemed to be pleased to cash in on crappy sequels. With the way Sega are going I can't see them lasting much longer and Nintendo buying the company on the cheap.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the days of the dreamcast sega had some great original titles. Powerstone, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Tennis to name a few. The last great console games were on the dreamcast. Now the good games seem to be the sonics on the DS. Sega these days just seemed to be pleased to cash in on crappy sequels. With the way Sega are going I can't see them lasting much longer and Nintendo buying the company on the cheap.
Well according to recent sales and what not they are the 6th best selling publisher! Apparently they're making the most money since the 16 bit years. Also I doubt Nintendo would ever get them cheap, not with their back catalogue.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/conte...4132_page_2.htm

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sega lost their way due to their management, meaning bad relations between Sega of Japan and Sega of America (did you know the 32X was developed exclusively by SoA without SoJ involved in the project or in the decision making).

After the fiasco with the Sega CD and 32X they lost support from the customers and then they released the Saturn, wich had a terrible hardware structure and the Dreamcast wich had a wonderful hadrware but used squared polygons instead of triangular ones wich is and was the standard and the way most developers worked. That's why you see so many great 2D games in the console (like Marvel VS Capcom 2) but so little full 3D ones besides those developed inhouse by Sega and also why they lost support from developers.

After that they entered bankruptcy, got bought and merged a thousand times, everyone got fired and the Sega you see today has nothing to do with the one you knew.

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was always more a Nintendo fan than Sega back in the day, even from the Master System vs NES days (it was hardly competition though), the SNES vs Megadrive days and of course GameGear vs GameBoy.

Still, I liked the arcade ports of Sega games on the Dreamcast (first Sega console I bought), and Jet Set Radio was probably their best new IP, but this new Sega is making el cheapo games at the moment. How the hell they've made a profit I can't imagine. Who's buying this crap?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
And this all after Sammy outbought CSK

The Sammy-Sega join, never sounded to well
tongue.gif

"Sega Sammy Holding"

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
used squared polygons instead of triangular ones

Can you link me to something that supports this claim for the Dreamcast? I am curious as I know the Saturn did polygon rendering through sprites, hence having 'square' polygons, but for the Dreamcast, which utilised the PowerVR2 chipset, I am positive that it utilised triangle rendering.

gambit420

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
ahm i see everybody complaining about sega, but i played the new nights and must say that this game is beautiful. played it with classic controler at a friends house and decided to pick this up when it will be released in europe. this game reminds me a bit to panzer dragon orta, although its completly different. the bosses ive seen so far a tipcal sega madness.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh how I loved Sega games. Nowerdays they are destroying their IPs. I didn't have the chance yet to play the new Nights but I hope they didn't screw it up.

Btw, still waiting for a new Panzer Dragoon game, dammit
lecture.gif

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I still have a little faith in them, I still think sonic has the potential for a good game, and the jet set radio series is awesome

and crazy taxi, I want crazy taxi DS so bad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended