Hacking What's the point of a flash cart like Sky3DS when things like freeShop exist?

Rikard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been looking for a good flashcart and would buy one in a heartbeat if one comes. I loved my CycloDS evolution for the Nintendo DS but the 3DS flashcarts just don't seem to be as plug in and play. Closest is Sky3DS+ but that's too limited IMO and it seems annoying to browse through the game library on it.

I know of the custom firmwares, but I still want a flashcart for the convenience and not have to fiddle with the 3DS, and don't mind paying for that. I was hoping for EZ Flash Redux but only find foreign reviews and no thorough instructions for how easily it is set up on an untouched 3DS.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You get one private header, paste it in a text file and put 3ds roms on it. Yeah, takes a few seconds to browse through the card by clicking those buttons but how many times do you switch games? The cartridge also knows which game you played last so you don't have to click through it again. I think it's a great card. It works. I at least think it's a good deal.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's not on the eshop it's available as a .3ds or .cia (like the good old days before the freeshop) which both can be installed via fbi. Only advantage to flash cards is that they CAN (not necessarily DO eg gateway) work on all system versions since their software isn't dependant on the 3ds software. The stuff about 300 title limit, can you even fit that many titles on The 3ds? If you get to that point you could just use an emunand really if you where that insane and clicked DL ALL in freeshop lol
Are you saying that FBI can install .3ds files? I thought it was only .cia and that I'd have to convert .3ds to .cia.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most people who use Sky3DS+ is mostly for the drag and drop play with .3ds/.3dz. With CFW you have to install everything which takes up space, so it might be more convenient to some in that respect. Also if they don't want CFW but still want ROMs and cheats available. Other than that I don't see any good reason to use one over free CFW and NTR cheats, not to mention they are pretty expensive on average of $80 USD. If anyone wants tons of games on anything from MAME to 3DS, the best option is CFW, VC injects and a DS flashcart. That way you can pretty much install and use anything the 3DS can actually play right from your HomeMenu as long as you have a nice sized SD card.

Joshwraith

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have one Sky3ds+, I bought it before the exploits for 11.2 , Now I have CFW but still use the flashcard, I have my system clean and is easy drag and drop files on the flashcard than messing with the system, maybe if the flashcard is blocked by some update or a new AP (pokemon sun and moon) on newer games I will begin to install cias, but so far so good.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are some of the advantages of a real proper flash cart?
flashcards came before cfw. the majority made the switch to a9lh, but it would be a shame to let my $40+shipping flashcard go to waste. so thats one reason.

second, its like an intermediary for those who want just free games, but are on the latest FW or are to lazy/scared for cfw

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

plus, download to play on cfw is faster.

Here's the idea,
With Gateway or sky, I can add a new ROM in anytime and play it instantly.
With CFW, I have to wait for the CIA to get installed (at a 1MB/s write speed, N3DS write speed) it takes an hour to install Pokemon Sun, which is a pain in the ass.

p/s download speed is severely limited by N3DS write speed. I have a 30Mbps connection but N3DS only utilizes 8Mbps of it.

tl;dr
On a 30Mbps connection (from downloading rom>play, 3GB Pokemon Sun, Class 10 SD card)
Gateway
1. Download (13:40min)
2. Transfer to SD (5:07min)
3. Play

CFW+download from computer
1. Download (13:40min)
2. Transfer to SD (5:07min)
3. Install (51:20min)
4. Play

CFW+download from freeshop
1. Download+install (51:20min)
2. Play

Gateway 18:47 min
CFW 70:07 min
CFW+freeshop 51:20 min

Still CFW is a free alternative so whoever have not buy the Gateway or sky and do not mind waiting for the install is better to use the budget to buy a big SD card+CFW+40$ leftover
credits to @henrytlh for the test and numbers

Last edited by Sketchy1,
Reactions: nechigawara

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the case of Sky3DS[+], it's good for things like holding exploit games.
This to the max.
While it's far less relevant now with things like SteelHax/SoundHax, I have a Sky3DS (blue) because it was/is my guaranteed initial entrypoint.
Sure, it was like $80, but when region swapping needed two region copies of Cubic Ninja at 2015 prices... not even a competition which was more efficient.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acekard 2i already works with 3DS, not only in the latest version, because it was patched.
That's good to know but after reading this comment:
If I had an extra 3DS laying around I would try to install A9LH on it since I'm too scared to do it on my 2DS with MenuHax+Luma3DS :lol:
I realize I don't actually need a flashcart b/c the 3DS is finally capable of loading custom firmware to the device which is like a dream.
After doing research on arm9loaderhax, I feel like a big dummy... The handheld actually comes w/ an SD card slot unlike the DSi... That let's u know I have been out of the loop for a while now since 2013 and at that time there were no compatible flashcarts for 3DS. I had gotten the 3DS more than a yr ago but never used it b/c the donor gave it to me w/o a charger, smh.
Now another question I have is does anyone know the max GB SD card compatible w/ the 3DS and also which firmware is more preferable to install on the 3DS in ur opinion?

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
That's good to know but after reading this comment:

I realize I don't actually need a flashcart b/c the 3DS is finally capable of loading custom firmware to the device which is like a dream.
After doing research on arm9loaderhax, I feel like a big dummy... The handheld actually comes w/ an SD card slot unlike the DSi... That let's u know I have been out of the loop for a while now since 2013 and at that time there were no compatible flashcarts for 3DS. I had gotten the 3DS more than a yr ago but never used it b/c the donor gave it to me w/o a charger, smh.
Now another question I have is does anyone know the max GB SD card compatible w/ the 3DS and also which firmware is more preferable to install on the 3DS in ur opinion?
According to this: http://techcosupport.com/press/#article/1226 about 8TB in theory (however the SDXC bus is limited to 2TB so we would need to invent SDXXC first) but I doubt the 3ds will recognise past 512GB so anything less than that

Last edited by KevinX8,
Reactions: urbanman2004

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
The link u provided shows a whole bunch of articles but not the specific topic u are mentioning of
I dunno the link works perfectly for me, it brings me to a bunch of articles then begins to load the article linked so just wait until it those so.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170113-070016.png
    Screenshot_20170113-070016.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 124

mockanter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Sky3ds and Gateway came out long before CFW.
2. Installing CFW was a long, tedious unstable and risky process at the time. It's way better now.
3. For lazy people.
4. 11.3 will come eventually and we'll need hardmod/Dsiware to downgrade to 11.2 again, maybe.
What if you already have a backup sysnand of 11.2? Then you wouldn't need to hardmod or get a dsi ware game correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1