What's the point of a flash cart like Sky3DS when things like freeShop exist?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Jaxooo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Jaxooo
    OP

Jaxooo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2017
    United States
    what are some of the advantages of a real proper flash cart?

2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    most of these existed before custom firmware became ubiquitous. most people who already own them probably still want to use them.

in the case of Sky3DS[+], it's good for things like holding exploit games. I know soundhax exists, but that's recent and won't last forever.

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    You'll know when 11.3 hits.

4. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    This, also when the time that 11.0+ can only be hacekd by hardmod or System Transfer, someone decide to go to flashcard where.
    Since it's a lot easier.

5. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    1. Sky3ds and Gateway came out long before CFW.
    2. Installing CFW was a long, tedious unstable and risky process at the time. It's way better now.
    3. For lazy people.
    4. 11.3 will come eventually and we'll need hardmod/Dsiware to downgrade to 11.2 again, maybe.

Last edited by windhazard, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    • Flash carts have no 300 Title limit
    • Is not installed on the same SD card that you primary use for the system
    • Can use for multiple save files i guess?
    I honestly never owned or used a 3DS flash cart but flash cart still have advantages. Even NDS flashcarts have advantages... for now, like super ds two, ingame cheat function, slow down and save states, multiple save functions. Although i guess some other carts like r4 have it as well but is what i can remember.

Tomato Hentai and wormdood like this.
  7. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    Flashcarts don't use ticket. You know for the day when Nintendo will finally check the tickets installed against what you actually purchased.

8. urbanman2004

urbanman2004 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    United States
    I have a 1st generation Nintendo 3DS laying around that was donated to me and I been contemplating on getting a flashcart like I did for my DSi. Is there a version of Acekard2i for 3DS or something similar?

9. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Not all games are available in the eshop. Try to find ridge racer or cubic ninja.
    As far as what flashcart to get for ds games on 3ds. You really can't go wrong with the r4i gold 3ds rts. It's the probably the most recommended cart, no matter what ds you have.

10. Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    Acekard 2i already works with 3DS, not only in the latest version, because it was patched.

11. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    If it's not on the eshop it's available as a .3ds or .cia (like the good old days before the freeshop) which both can be installed via fbi. Only advantage to flash cards is that they CAN (not necessarily DO eg gateway) work on all system versions since their software isn't dependant on the 3ds software. The stuff about 300 title limit, can you even fit that many titles on The 3ds? If you get to that point you could just use an emunand really if you where that insane and clicked DL ALL in freeshop lol

12. Waywatcher

Waywatcher Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2015
    If I had an extra 3DS laying around I would try to install A9LH on it since I'm too scared to do it on my 2DS with MenuHax+Luma3DS :lol:

13. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Gateway3ds came before cfw. No legit reason to buy one new unless you want to cheat but you can port most codes to ntr. (Unless you want online play for cheats which then your a dick)
    Sky3ds might have too but its main use for most is the ability to run on the latest firmware (this was very useful last year).
    Even buying a sky3ds can be stupid because for cheaper you can pay someone to hardmod you.

lonewolf08 likes this.
  14. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Go for it, the 2ds/o3ds is a safer process than n3ds anyways!

15. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Cubic Ninja was on the Japan eShop which has since been taken down
    Also you can convert .3ds games (carts) to .cia.
    It has to be on the eShop to show on freeShop

16. Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    *coff coff* have a 256GB microSD (not my case) and want to install every eShop game there is, even though you'll probably use only 3% or less of them and a lot of games are only a few MB *coff coff*

Last edited by Hyoretsu, Jan 12, 2017
    jupitersj likes this.
  17. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    XD well like I said until someone makes a patch just use multiple emunands. There are like total 1200 unique titles on the 3ds or something counting in all the region split games so you would only need 3 emunands

18. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I suppose your savegames will be safe on the flashcart whereas if you brick or something you might lose everything?

19. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Nope bricking wont kill your saves at all, if it's a hard brick thought and you didn't save then unencrypted with a save manager then yeah I guess

20. Mr. Elementle

Mr. Elementle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Detroit
    i bought my sky3ds+ before cfw but i still use it for games i don't play that often that i don't want taking up space or adding up to the 300 limit,