myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
todd72173 said:
PS2 required tons of Wires and the points were really small. I would say PS2 was very difficult to mod...then the WII.
Key word here is required. Now all you need is a cheat disk like Action Replay or CodeBreaker that can copy saves from USB to easily hack and run ESR to boot backups.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
FAST6191 said:
360 difficult? Get real:
dump drive key (usually with nothing more than a compatible sata card, aside from the stuff earlier today simple enough otherwise provided you are willing to pay for hardware)
make hacked firmware (3 clicks or a single command line entry)
flash hacked firmware.

That is all there is- anything in depth is just different models or older hacks. Homebrew is another thing but that is not bad assuming you have a compatible box.

Ignoring the "hard to solder" aspect from some of the older consoles (soldering is just a skill). Personally I am going with the wii; sure any fool can follow a guide and do a hackjob mod that "works for the most part" but to make a truly good mod and do it from any version takes a fair bit of knowledge (this stuff about revirginising your wii reminds me of those who fix PCs mainly by reinstalling the OS, it works but it is crude and only serves to highlight how little they know or how lazy they are).

If not then the original xbox if only because there are hundreds of little things you can do to make it that much better (although out of the box hacks work brilliantly for most people) and several equally viable methods.

Considering you have to open the box, connect the drive to your computer, dump the key (assuming you have a drive that is EASY to dump), flash the drive, put it all back together (big hassle), etc. The Wii takes longer, but its certainly easier than modding a 360.

Some people don't have the balls to open up their consoles because they fear they might break something, thats why you have a lot more people who softmod Wiis and buy flashcarts for DSs then you have people with modded PS2s and flashed 360s.. the former is a lot easier than the latter for most people. Case in point.

tyberiyan1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong...

PS3 is currently unhackable.

Xbox 360 is only for experienced people...?(there are mixed views on this.)

PS2 sounds hard, depending on whether its soft modding or soddering.

The older version of the PSP is somewhere in the middle(something about pandora's battery?) PSP Go sounds like it still being hacked.

Wii is probably the easiest to enable homebrew and backups.

When I said I was an amateur modder, I meant that I've only hacked my Wii and DS...well, ds doesn't count since it takes no effort. I'm trying to learn how to softmod an x-box 360, so I was wondering what people had to say on it. Hey FAST6191, since you say its piss easy, do you know any good tutorials on that? All the ones I've read are pretty complicated and say you have to buy a shiteload of stuff.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
tyberiyan1 said:
When I said I was an amateur modder, I meant that I've only hacked my Wii and DS...well, ds doesn't count since it takes no effort. I'm trying to learn how to softmod an x-box 360, so I was wondering what people had to say on it. Hey FAST6191, since you say its piss easy, do you know any good tutorials on that? All the ones I've read are pretty complicated and say you have to buy a shiteload of stuff.

I don't think there are any soft-mods for the 360, it's all hardware based.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
todd72173 said:
PS2 required tons of Wires and the points were really small. I would say PS2 was very difficult to mod...then the WII.
my ps2 has never been opened

yet can run:

homebrew
burnt games
load games off a hdd
custom main startup menu

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS2 is easy to mod.
tongue.gif
Only thing is don't screw up or you are going to have to open it like me. I screwed up by using a too flimsy swap card haha.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@tyberiyan1:
It really depends on what drive the 360 has in it. Benq drives are very easy to work with since they only require a compatible SATA drive and you can recover them easily if something goes wrong and they get bricked. With old Lite On drives you need a homemade or bought piece of hardware that will catch the signal being sent through a point on the circuitry of the DVD drive in order to retrieve the key so it is a bit more advanced but with the right tools it is, again, pretty easy and it can be restored from a bad flash. With new Lite On drives you need to cut some traces on the DVD drive and install a switch trick it into switching modes and dumping the key. Hitachi drives are bastards... JungleFlasher froze up on me and it resulted in a bricked drive that needed to be replaced with a Benq. Toshiba/Samsung drives are apparently just as easy as Benqs to flash and will also allow you to recover from a bad flash. From what I have read the firmware for the Hitachi and T/S drives are more difficult to create so the updates for them lag far behind -- Hitachi is at 1.51 still and T/S is at 1.60.

So in short: Benq == ideal

Re PSP:
PSP1000 (Phat) and PSP2000 can have CFW installed on it easily if it is at or below 5.03 OFW with a TIFF exploit (ChickHEN). PSP3000 has to be rebooted into CFW installed on your MS. PSP Go has only a pretty useless exploit that wouldn't result in kernel access but it was apparently stolen and released and Sony patched it up w/in a day or so.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
I don't think there are any soft-mods for the 360, it's all hardware based.
For the most part its a soft-mod. A hard-mod is when you are working with hardware like soldering or installing more hardware like a mod-chip. This involves changing the software, or firmware as it is installed directly to the drive. Although, the new Lite-on drives require you to sever a connection on the board making it a hard-mod. At this point the new Lite-on drives are in the minority.

As for which is hardest to hack, (of the hackable ones) I'd say the PSP if starting from scratch, with a newer official firmware, and no friends with a hacked PSP. To do this you need to find out how to hard-mod a Pandora's battery. As there are more than one type of battery and some of them cannot be hacked. You need to do some research to find out which battery you have and the easiest way to identify them is to open them. This can be negated if you have a friend with a custom firmware installed already. Next up I would say the 360 as its a pain to get it opened, disassembled, and reassembled. The flashing is the easy part. Although it takes some skill to hack a Wii well, a bad hack is still a hack making it the easiest. At least that is my opinion.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
For the most part its a soft-mod. A hard-mod is when you are working with hardware like soldering or installing more hardware like a mod-chip. This involves changing the software, or firmware as it is installed directly to the drive. Although, the new Lite-on drives require you to sever a connection on the board making it a hard-mod. At this point the new Lite-on drives are in the minority.

I stand corrected then! I always thought a soft-mod was purely software based and required no fiddling with the machine at all and no extra hardware was needed to do the hack. That's why I always classed the 360 hacks as hard-mods.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
TrolleyDave said:
hundshamer said:

I stand corrected then! I always thought a soft-mod was purely software based and required no fiddling with the machine at all and no extra hardware was needed to do the hack. That's why I always classed the 360 hacks as hard-mods.

Guess it really depends on your definition of a soft mod.. different people, different definitions I suppose.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Samsung has 1.61 as well. It's only the hitachi that lags behind, simply because multiple versions of the firmware have to be made.

The benq is far from ideal as well, it's read speed for dvd+r dl, is shit, you only have to search for gta pop up+benq to find massive threads slagging it off for loading too slow, midnight club Los Angeles it struggles with as well, search that and you'll find problems again, hell even assassins creed was taking about 3 days to load on the damn thing when it came out. Even the firmware creator said it's got problems, search c4eva + no benqish problems and you'll find logs from when 1.5 was being made and a comment on the issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk