Whats the best flashcart for DS games on the 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RemixDeluxe, May 6, 2016.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Its my best friend's birthday in two weeks, he has already installed homebrew on his 3DS and is enjoying all the goodness of everything that comes with it. He completely skipped last generation in regards to DS games and he often talks about how he would like to play those games. Since he doesnt have a flashcart it would seem like a great present to get for him, what flashcart can I buy him that has consistent support and is pretty reliable on just about all firmware. Remember, this is just for DS games only.

2. Gyrobax

Gyrobax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 28, 2016
    United States
    i'd say either R4 SDHC dual core (pretty cheap some go as low as 8.00 USD), or Dstwo, those are my suggestions

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    DSTwo is the best and will never be unsupported. However it's a lot more expensive and its main benefit, playing SNES and GBA games at full speed, can be done easily in CFW ways.
    The main problem I see is that your friend's birthday is in two weeks. You've obviously never experienced buying a Chinese product before :-p if the birthday was two months away I'd still say it was a bit iffy. I believe peachDS.com ships from within USA and has PayPal so you can try it, but I would have a backup present ready if I were you.

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  4. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    DSTwo if you want SNES/GBA full speed (ESPICALLY for an O3DS!) otherwise R4i 3DS Gold/AceKard2i ([only if yoru using a CFW.])

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  5. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    So which would be the best choice for just to play DS games, my two biggest concerns is playing DS games and firmware compatibility. Everything else is extra since he has CFW.

Would any of the R4 variants be good for that?

I own a Supercard DStwo, but I'm still seeing them for as high as $40. I swear it was that price too when I originally bought it 4 years ago. He mainly just wants DS games so I'm willing to go a bit further down.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe, May 6, 2016
  6. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    just DS Games (non CFW) R4i 3DS Gold, for CFW (cause of using patched TWL_FIRM) + Cheap, AceKard2i

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  7. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Well he does have CFW and I have personal experience using the AceKard2i, I guess that sounds like the best choice if it works fine on 3DS. Any places you could recommend to buy at a reasonable price?

8. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    http://www.dsflashcart.com/ has both the AceKard 2i and R4i 3DS Gold for 18$. but i'd say shop around for an AceKard2i (since you said your bud have a CFW setup)

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  9. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Among these sites do you think would be the best to order from?

http://www.3dsflashkart.com/acekard-2iak2i-rpg-for-nintendo-3ds-dsi-xl-dsi-ds-p-186.html
    https://www.usa-hot-stuff.com/11-cheap-acekard-2i-for-3dsdsi-xldsidsl.html
    http://shoptemp.net/products/Acekard-2i.html (are these listings for new or used?)
    http://www.dsflashcart.com/acekard-2i-flashcart-for-nintendo-ds-dsi-3ds-p-251.html

I feel like the one you picked out is the best fit but I just want to be sure before going through checkout. Thank you for your help so far.

10. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    i'd say dsflashcart as i havent had issues w/ em before but the orginal site where i got my AK2i ages ago have long since stoped selling carts. (realhotstuff) but stay the Hell away from the R4 "Dualcore" Cards they stop supporting the cards pretty f*ing quick and only support the latest "Year" revision card.

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  11. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    This is a bit odd. I'm trying to check out but it only gives two options to pay with, using gift cards from subway, CVS, or Burger King(Is this a joke?) or pay using SOFORT banking which I never heard of in my life.

Can I really not pay with my credit/debit card or paypal like any other business site?

12. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    looks like things have changed .. try sending a Contact Email finding out whats up. i got my R4i a few months ago and i still had the optin to use Debit cards :/

13. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I'll email and see whats up. If they cant take any of the payment methods of my liking then I'm gonna have to take my business up with those other alternatives sadly. I'll update on how this goes.

14. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    PeachDS and nds-card.com are the only ones that take PayPal (and you have to especially email them for it).

15. Darukeru

Darukeru Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2016
    Mexico
    I ordered my R4i on March 30, it shipped from China(and I paid like 2 dollars for shipping) and I still don't have it haha It's my first time using China post btw.

Quantumcat likes this.
  16. Xellos2099

Xellos2099 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2006
    United States
    I also wantto know too since i think my R4i card is bricked and i can;t find any date on how to get it to work

17. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    R4i gold 3ds and if you re on the cheap the r4i gold SDHC 2016

18. DigitalDeviant

DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

Feb 14, 2010
    United States
    Solar Federation
    Does anyone know if the DSTwo works with fw 10.7? Same for the other cards.

19. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Every DS flashcard works on 10.7 with por without patches. Dstwo and r4i gold 3ds(2016/regular) work without patches/nativelly

DigitalDeviant likes this.
  20. AlucardjX

AlucardjX GBAtemp Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Italy
    DStwo kick a*s of others FC without compromises!