Hacking Whats the best firmware for homebrew

touchmypenguinag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry im new to this and just bought my first wii. I was wondering whats the best firmware to have on the console for the homebrew channel and usb loader gx? A lot of people seem to be downgrading from 4.2 to 3.2, but i don't understand why as you can play games off the sd card 4.0 and onwards? Do i need certain firmware to play certain wii ware or disc/iso games?

Thanks for the advice in advance,
Andrew

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii doesn't really have a firmware. It has multiple "firmwares" at the same time.
But if you mean System menu... probably 4.3 by now.

And people are downgrading, because people are stupid

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
i think 4.2 with cios rev 20 is ok
at last for me works perfectly
smile.gif

75UR15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running both my wiis at 4.2U with cIOS38 R17 (installed as 249/250) rev 20 gives more options, but the "faster" one does NOT allow wad install (you could install more than one, and it didn't seem any faster to me).

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have the correct ios, you can play all the wii and wii ware and vc games on just about any firmware. I am on 4.2 because that seems to be the one that most people have and 4.3 adds no new functionality except deleting older versions of homebrew. updating to 4.2 also updates most of your ios at once so that you don't have to get them manually. I would recommend upgrading to 4.2 with nusad if you are below 4.x.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I personally have is the latest System Menu with priiloader. All clean IOSes except when an IOS is stubbed, I uninstall it entirely rather than installing a stub. And of course custom IOSes.

As for functionality, any Wii can be made ideal for homebrew. It just depends on what all you want to do. Some firmwares are easier to install a cIOS for on than others for instance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.