Whats my rarest game?

SkeletonSmith

subscribe Skeleton Smith Gaming on youtube
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will detail all of my collections for each console and dear god Somebody tell me if i have a little something rare.
Wii
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Super Paper Mario
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros Brawl
I always think i have more Wii games but I dont
Wii U
Starfox Zero (out of 10)
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Maker
I always wanted more Wii U games but I dont
PS3
All 3 Uncharted games
All 3 LittleBIGPlanet games (except Karting which I lost my disc of)
Minecraft
GTA IV, V, Liberty City Stories and San Andreas
Metal Gear Solid V and Metal Gear HD Collection
Watch Dogs
I always forget how big my PS3 collection is
Gamecube
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart Double Dash
Why do I only have 1 controller but all multiplayer games
N64
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros
Switch (physical)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Thanks for the help

SkeletonSmith

subscribe Skeleton Smith Gaming on youtube
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Closely followed by Metal Gear HD which I bought from Ebay for 30 dollars so you cant have it.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
The price of something is by no means an indication of rarity. Animal Crossing is a hugely popular game thus why people can sell it at a high price tag.

True! It happens with all the big franchises (i.e. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.). These rarely come down on price when sold as new games. And as soon as official sales stop and they turn into classics, they can sell for even more. But as best sellers, they had zillions of copies sold during their prime time.

Reactions: AmandaRose

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah most of those are not rare in the sense that they were released only to select locations and sold few copies.

Some might command a bit of a higher price because Nintendo in some cases (Nintendo game second hand prices seem to hold their value and owing to Nintendo home consoles generally failing post SNES then not so many were sold vs the apparent demand today) but most probably rank among the top sellers and most well known titles on any given system and possibly even defining examples of the style (mario sports games on the N64 being this).

If that is San Andreas physical then while not rare per se (especially not if you count the versions on previous gen systems, which are superior in many ways -- physical then being a somewhat half arsed port of the mobile versions) as a general concept it is not all that common either by virtue of it coming out some time after the PS4 and Xbone hit, and was mostly known as a downloadable game before that. Everybody likes GTA so some of those might still be sold for something.

By similar token PS3 minecraft also gets a reasonable price but who would really want to play that version?

Metal Gear HD might get something too as it was reasonably well liked and came somewhat late in the day.

PS3 Watch_dogs seems to have some value as well going by online searches and it came right at the end of the PS3 so maybe not the most copies of that version out there. It is a lesser version of the game and the game was not all that and more (enjoyed my time with it, PS3 version at that though I later saw the PS4 version too).

PS3 and 360 games also seem to be heading back up in price. Though I am still seeing them all the time at yard sales, car boot sales and whatever else so we probably have a year or two yet before they become properly retro. If the new xbox is indeed backwards compatible that might accelerate things a bit, especially when people realise a lot of stuff there was actually really good (lots of content, non microtransactions for the most part, story that might be willing to actually challenge someone) and has aged quite well.

Reactions: tfocosta

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I’m gonna say wii play. That game was shit and Nintendo knew it. They only made 100 copies. That’s the rarest game that you own.
IT WAS SOLD WITH wiimote plus, i still own a RED wiimote plus, they were sold as bundle dude.

THE rarest game i ever owned is MGS TWIN SNAKE, Italian 2 discs version :P the cover is Italian with Meryl's code frequency, but the Snake is dubbed by David Hayter!

Last edited by leon315,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IT WAS SOLD WITH wiimote plus, i still own a RED wiimote plus, they were sold as bundle dude.

THE rarest game i ever owned is MGS TWIN SNAKE, Italian 2 discs version :P the cover is Italian with Meryl's code frequency, but the Snake is dubbed by David Hayter!
Sorry, I thought this was the EoF.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I’m gonna say wii play. That game was shit and Nintendo knew it. They only made 100 copies. That’s the rarest game that you own.
LOL, I wish they only made 100 copies. Ninty actually sold 22.67 millions of it (source : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games). Granted, the game only sold because you got a wiimote with it (or vice versa : some stores only stocked wiimotes with play combined), but still : only the sixth best selling game on the wii makes it anything but rare. :P

Reactions: slaphappygamer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This, indeed. Not to sound offensive, but there's nothing rare about regular blockbuster hits from this century.
Depending upon region and console version you can find some. Usually PAL (or worse Australia/New Zealand) versions for the non last gen dominant console, or much later ports (seen Skies of Arcadia for gamecube lately? Granted the Dreamcast versions are not exactly better and it was the de facto RPG choice for the dreamcast really).

If you go deep into collector circles there are also some (usually things like bundled dual packs of otherwise common games, kids games or super rare sports games -- one of the rarer gamecube games is a basketball game because no gamecube owner likely cared about basketball), as well as limited edition stuff, even more so if condition is in play. Several of those are of the "clueless grandma is/was the main purchaser" audience as well.
Complete top notch quality collecting is a weird world, and some of the "need a specific version" speedrunning stuff is not much better, so I will skip that for now.

Equally century does still leave us with some years of the PS1, PS2 and associated consoles. That does leave you with lots of mid tier devs before that stopped being a thing. Last decade might be more appropriate for such a statement.

That said first party and major devs then and to this day titles in North America are seldom anything like rare, give or take special editions.
For things people might actually want to play it is usually the quirky single run "6 or 7/10 at the time but hidden gem now" RPGs that fell by the wayside, shmups/shooters and mid tier developed action games, and games made before the series blew up (Fire Emblem on the gamecube for example, despite also being a first party title), and maybe anything that snuck out under the wire or got a lawsuit recall (see Too Human)/general recall, or were only given to a smaller/less known vendor (see how many blockbuster exclusive special editions of things litter some of the links below).

If we take rare to mean "is some fool going to buy this off me as a loose game for $80 because supply is rather limited and I don't care as the game/console aged like milk and anyway I have emulators/flash carts/ODDE/...?", and you have been doing this more than long enough to know that is what it is usually, then even some of those sold up there in the top 30 games on the console still command a price as such things mostly went to older folks that shoved it in the attic and forgot about it or even in the bin; after the N64 failed I was cleaning up and people were shocked I wanted to pay anything, not to mention were thankful for the space in their attic back, when the gamecube failed I had a whale of a time until the wii also failed and everybody realised it was backwards compatible.

https://www.thegamer.com/rarest-gamecube-games-cost/
https://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-rarest-most-valuable-nintendo-gamecube-games
https://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-rarest-and-most-valuable-n64-games
Indeed https://www.racketboy.com/retro has several such lists.
https://blog.pricecharting.com/2010/02/most-expensive-xbox-360-games_15.html
https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/most-valuable-rarest-xbox-360-games/ (sorry for the 16 clicks list thing but it does have some info).
https://www.thegamer.com/rarest-xbox-360-games-worth/
I am bored so you can all also find the nice and easy "better than clickbait but not by much" articles detailing "most valuable games for ?" various gaming sites will pump out every year or two as filler.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw +1