Hacking What's all these issues with the Acekard2i?

Kishire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I haven't looked anything into the AK2i until recently (I was fine with my NDSL/AK2.1), but I'm getting a NDSi XL soon + AK2i.
However, I am reading about all these problems that may come with it...such as the 1.4 update (luckily my card is said to be pre-updated).

However, there is also the "contact" issue, which is something about the card...um, not in contact with the microSD?
then there is the "brick" issue, not quite sure what this is..but it seem to break ur Acekard, or is it the NDS system itself?
Does anyone know if the brick problem actually break your Nintendo DS system?! if so, I don't think I can ever afford another NDSi XL again, nor would I WANT to buy another sheesh...I'm freakin poor lol.

So yeah, what are the chances I'll run into one of these problems? looking to hear from ur experience...

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Well, if your card is already setup for 1.4, then youll be good to go. If its not updated, you can use your NDSL to do the update.

I've never heard of an Acekard bricking a DS.

But if you try to use AKAIO firmware on a fake Acekard, then it may brick the card itself, but not the DS.

Others may want to confirm/deny this.

You should be good to go. I bought the same thing as you, and ive had no problems at all.

Kishire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay that's good to know...I hope it'll be fine for me also!

Though I have heard that certain games may brick your Acekard...hmm

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Not true, some games may not work, but they wont brick it.

Also when you get it, use AKAIO firmware, not the official one. AKAIO is far superior.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
firstly, i've read about all flash linkers bricking the ds/dsi. there were people who i spoke too who have had the ak2i brick their dsi. one was on launch day, one was actually a few weeks ago in #acekard. what the problem was, no one knows. it could be a problem with the dsi, it could be a msd contact issue. the micro sd slot draws power on boot up to initialize the micro sd card. if the contacts are bad the card can short out the system.

this is a rare thing. in all the thousands of people who are into this hobby, i've spoken with less than 10 who had this problem.

it is really easy to brick the bootstrap section of the ak2i. any out of bounds write can cause this. this is why it is not recommended to use ysmenu on the ak2i. only the official firmware and akaio have protections in place for this. however, this is a moot point these days. with the ak2i update flasher you can easily fix a bricked bootstrap. smiths unbricked an ak2i from the first batch, almost a year later, using the unbricker tool.

the ak2i does have contact issues. this means when the cart is inserted into the nds/dsi, the pins which must contact the card's pcb may not hit it just right. this could be a bent pin in the slot1, but usually it is the build of the 2i. why the 2i and not the 2.1 i have no idea. they are essentially the same card with a small modification so that the 2i works on the dsi/xl. there are also reports of msd slot contact issues. where the card can be seen by the nds firmware but the acekard firmware will not boot. this is usually a msd contact issue. however, people may report a contact issue when infact it is user error.

the ak2i is still a great choice. you should consider that everyone who doesn't have a problem doesn't say anything. there are many people who are very satasified with the card.

with that said the ak2i has been cloned. make sure you read the following post BEFORE you make any purchases.

http://normmatt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410

only real acekards are covered under the teams 1 yr warranty. not every shop will honor the warranty because acekard no longer sells to overseas resale shops. so when a shop has to take back your card, they may or may not be able to get a replacement for their own losses. for this reason you should make sure you e-mail the shop and find out their policy. ask question. ask about the ak2i. ask which they stock. ask for the information in the thread above.

when you are ready to make your decision, use the akaio firmware. the official firmware has not been updated in a very long time (and loader fixes which get 1 or 2 games working do not count). akaio is updated daily. it has features the official will never have. please read the akaio wiki for more information.

-another world

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
why the 2i and not the 2.1 i have no idea. they are essentially the same card with a small modification so that the 2i works on the dsi/xl.
It's because the PCB is low in the shell. I opened my AK2i to find out, and you can see why it effects some and not others. On some there will be a small amount of glue underneath the PCB which pushes it up.

All you have to do is slide something underneath the PCB as in my guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103 The one I opened will only work if I slide something underneath, the paper trick does not help.

The Acekard 2i only has a very small strip at the bottom of the shell to support the PCB
IMG_3355.jpg

The Acekard 2.1 has a taller strip which goes all around the shell. Thus sliding something underneath the PCB will raise it and so solve the problem.

On the of the PCB, there are also two small glue spots in the bottom right and top left. These hold the PCB in position on the shell. Because only one side at the bottom has glue, the contacts are at an angle. On all 8 of the HW81 AK2i's i've had, the contacts were higher at one end than the other which you can also see in my photo in the guide. Being glue, some carts will always have more glue than others which may be why some carts have problems and some don't.
IMG_3152x.jpg

The bottom glue spot by the arrow holds the PCB up pulling it closer to the DS contacts. After removing the PCB from the shell placing in back in, the glue was no longer holding it and the PCB is much lower in the shell to the point it no longer works in the DS unless I put a piece of plastic, or paper under the contacts. Perhaps over time this glue joint can loosen, and is why some Acekard's get worse with time.

Kishire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys & Another World that's good info. I could use.
Unfortunately I have already ordered an AK2i from realhotstuff >_< I guess it all depends on luck now. Let's just hope I get a decent working one

nycsam786

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not know how reliable that site it to get the AK2i card but I can just speak of it in general. I have heard the update is very easy to do as long as you have a DS lite. I rarely ever hear people of bricking the card and even for that I believe there is a solution. The solution as you mentioned for it not being detected is the paper underneath the contact board which is extremely simple. It is a great card. You mentioned that it should come pre flashed which would be great but I would recommend the paper underneath the contact board regardless if it works the first time or not. That way in the future you will not run into the same problem. Have fun and good luck.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Kishire said:
Thanks guys & Another World that's good info. I could use.
Unfortunately I have already ordered an AK2i from realhotstuff >_< I guess it all depends on luck now. Let's just hope I get a decent working one

real hot stuff is shipping the actel clones and the hwid 80 ak2i clones. double check your card when you get it.

-another world

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
nycsam786 said:
I would recommend the paper underneath the contact board regardless if it works the first time or not.
don't _ever_ suggest that to anybody
if the pins already making contact then all that the paper trick will accomplish is bending them so that they won't work with other cards...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE