Gaming whats a great psp game thats not final fantasy?

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gamespot and IGN give crappy ass ratings to a lot of RPGs and for that matter the only games that tend to get high scores are big name ones and ones they have ads for on the sites :/ That's why I stopped caring what they scored games a long time ago. I much prefer the smaller non-corporately influenced sites. I mean look at IGN. They don't talk about how GTA gameplay stays almost the same from game to game noooo they all get 9s and 10s. Pisses me off.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tales of Eternia
smile.gif

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea im not really going to trust gamespot that much seeing as how you pointed out they give good rankings to popular game companies
mellow.gif

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Metacritic isnt bad, but only use it as a reference link to all the reviews available. Remember Metacritic is an averaged score, and those sucky ass scores from places like Gamespot and IGN can-and will-drag a really good games score way down, even if other sites have given it a great score.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they rate the games so low because every RPG on the PSP has ranged from anime-inspired drivel to mediocre games that would have been passable ten years ago but not so much today. When the most interesting RPGs available _are_ in fact Final Fantasy 1 and 2, you know that the system is suffering.

Incidentally, Gamespot are the one review site that correctly identified Monster Hunter as garbage, earning them thetitle of most credible video game site to ever exist.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You are clearly a biased jackass. Monster Hunter is a love it or hate it game that doesn't make it garbage. I enjoy it and you clearly don't appreciate RPGs in any way shape or form if you think the PSPs best RPGs are FF 1 and 2. Don't spout off your hateful drivel to someone who's looking for helpful input.

Properly on topic, metacritic is a pretty good gauge to go by on games. Just look at how many good reviews a game has gotten. Other than that, a lot of the games put up in this thread are quite good but pick and choose to your taste.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahahahahaha Gamespot the most credible review site ever. You're fucked in the head dude seriously. The site, caught red handed being bribed by Eidos for high marks for a shit stain game like Kain and Lynch. When they ponied up like $250K, then got a 6 was it from that nitwit Jeff G on the site they went apeshit whining like lil bitches to the GS bigwigs. When big jeffy refused to suck some wang and bump the score up a couple points they fired his ass, re-did...err rigged the review, and made Eidos happy (for a few hours until the truth got out and they got blasted for it by gamers.

Yes, gamespot the bastion of the highest form of honest video gaming media reviews and non-biased opinions.

G

GentleFist

havent played it yet but its not final fantasy,
its metal gear so it has to be awesome

D

Deleted User

Both Chrono games great games, great ports for the most part. Use your imagination and you will thoroughly enjoy these games!

Chrono Trigger / SNES or PS1 are must play games, I'd say go with the SNES b/c of the load times with the PS1 verison (though they may be fixed if you're loading from an iso)

Chrono Cross, Enough Said =P Great RPG games both of em.
Metal Gear Solid - Enough Said

Castlevania Symphony of the Night SOTN = best ever castlevania ;D

Parasite Eve / Survival Horror RPG
Parasite Eve 2 / Survival Horror RPG
Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday (E3 Much =P) Top Down Shooter(?)

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Both Chrono games great games, great ports for the most part. Use your imagination and you will thoroughly enjoy these games!
Every game you listed was either Playstation 1, or apparently you have confused with the DS because that was the one with a Chrono Trigger port--not the PSP. Why is every person in this thread so terrible? I want to see one person name one RPG native to the PSP that isn't mediocre.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Jeanne D'Arc isn't mediocre and is a platform exclusive to boot. (You said RPG...SRPG's count dag nammit).
War of the Lions isn't bad as an ISO either, although it's an enhanced port....

Also Marvel Ultimate Alliance could be loosely classed as an action RPG and that's a great PSP game, arguably better than the console versions because of the bonus content, as is the aforementioned Valkyrie Profile Lenneth.

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i played both war of the lions and jean d arc there good but id rather be playing a action rpg like tales of raident mythology but any rpg help is good.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Jeanne D'Arc isn't mediocre and is a platform exclusive to boot. (You said RPG...SRPG's count dag nammit).
War of the Lions isn't bad as an ISO either, although it's an enhanced port....

Also Marvel Ultimate Alliance could be loosely classed as an action RPG and that's a great PSP game, arguably better than the console versions because of the bonus content, as is the aforementioned Valkyrie Profile Lenneth.
No, sRPGs really don't count. You're either interested in playing something with random encounters or an enhanced game of chess. The two really aren't that much alike.

And FFT is also a PSX game. I also didn't see anything 'enhanced' about it, which is why I quit playing after the first battle. Been there, done that and it doesn't hold up very well after all these years.

Valkyrie Profile is also a PSX game.

And Marvel UA is a console game and also not natively PSP. Incidentally, the bonus content can be played on the PC with a third party mod so no, it's not better. On top of that, it's not an RPG--it's a beat 'em up. Simply adding experience points to a game does not make an RPG, otherwise you could say Hannah Montana is one too.

So like I said, I don't think anybody can name even one good PSP RPG.

QUOTEwell i played both war of the lions and jean d arc there good but id rather be playing a action rpg like tales of raident mythology but any rpg help is good.
I suppose there's Crisis Core, but that is precisely as tedious as everybody says. There was a Dungeon Siege that can be entertaining if you can overlook all the reasons it blows. Monster Hunter if you want a terrible game that looks really nice, like a turd that somebody put sprinkles on it and maybe one of those neat little plastic swords that they put in drinks sometimes. I really can't think of anything else. I suppose this is why POPS is so popular among CFW users. At least then you can play Chrono Cross or Final Fantasy IX for the umpteenth time back when Japan could still come up with entertaining RPGs.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
No, sRPGs really don't count. You're either interested in playing something with random encounters or an enhanced game of chess. The two really aren't that much alike.

And FFT is also a PSX game. I also didn't see anything 'enhanced' about it, which is why I quit playing after the first battle. Been there, done that and it doesn't hold up very well after all these years.

Valkyrie Profile is also a PSX game.

And Marvel UA is a console game and also not natively PSP. Incidentally, the bonus content can be played on the PC with a third party mod so no, it's not better. On top of that, it's not an RPG--it's a beat 'em up. Simply adding experience points to a game does not make an RPG, otherwise you could say Hannah Montana is an RPG.

So like I said, I don't think anybody can name even one good PSP RPG.

SRPGs are RPGs, what are you talking about? It's more than just an advanced game of chess. It's a RPG with strategic elements.

Marvel: UA isn't native to the PSP but, like most multiplatform PSP games, is very close to its console versions. And having played the 360 version it's a decent enough game. Rather mindless, yes, but it's still fun. And it has RPG aspects in the ways of adding to your stats and the like, it's not just randomly getting levels. You have to organize which powers get stronger, which ones to specialize in, which ones to even use on your character, on top of what armor and stuff you should use. It's not complex by any means but it has RPG aspects and I'd be safe calling it an ARPG.

There's plenty of great PSP RPGs, you're just thinking there's not any by your terrible standards and narrow viewpoints.

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
Geez Just Play God damn Hexyz Force, and shut the hell up! SRPG's Are RPG's, there just Different, they are still RPG's Also who cares if its not a PSP exclusive all those PSX games that were mentioned are all good, atleast be thankful people want to help you and aren't just ignoring you for being such a small jaded minded prick. Get over yourself.

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
o.o wow, aren't you picky? And FYI, Valkyrie Profile was ported to the PSP. It's really worth a look, yknow.
As for looking for reviews, well... try looking at gameplay videos on Youtube and see if a title floats your boat.

I second Hexyz Force, by the by... and thanks to this thread, I'm giving Aedis Eclipse and Crimson Gem Saga a look.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-