Gaming whats a great psp game thats not final fantasy?

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
melvox said:
Uhh...As long as we are all being technical here, i might as well lay a few infos myself. RPG means Role Playing Game. So it's a game in which you primarily take on the role of a single or multiple Playable Characters or PCs. Coming from this definition alone, we can say that FF games are RPGs, Disgaea games are RPGs and even Metal Gear Solid games are RPGs.

I think through the years we have mistakenly incorporated RPG with what should have been known as Japanese-Style RPGs or JRPGs as some might call it.

Thank you, thats almost exactly what I was going to say. RPGs (No matter what type) means Role Playing Game, you guys are getting all angry over Classifaction of RPGs. IMO an RPG is an RPG is an RPG, they're all RPGs I dont care what "type" of RPG it is.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you say so, but they're not. A classic D&D to FF and DW style RPG is nothing at all like an Ogre Battle, Advance Wars, or D&D Tactics(PSP), Legend of Zelda(action rpg) or Baldur's Gate console or PC at all. They share base concepts like towns, inns, gear, races, styles of heals, perhaps refresh/restore potions. The game play though are dramatically different and those in denial of it trying to say everything is an RPG is full of shit.

To shovel all of it into one broad stroke is truly retarded and far out of date from the cart based era where there were far fewer genres and a large lack of subgenres as well.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
A classic RPG would be the table top roleplaying game Dungeons and Dragons (2nd Edition ftmfw!). In that players attacked in turns much like an SRPG.

Dividing SRPG's up from games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior is insanely arbitrary and contrary to the genre's origins.

melvox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
The game play though are dramatically different and those in denial of it trying to say everything is an RPG is full of shit.

Respectfully - I'm saying this out of context. I did not make that up.
biggrin.gif
What I'm sayiing is that - Basically, every game let's you play a role of a Playable character. i.e. FF Games - Cloud & party, Cecil & part; MGS Games - Naked Snake, Raiden, Solid Snake. I said they were all RPGs because they fall under the description taking it from the definition of RPG. What I'm also saying is that the correct definition of RPGs got lost through all the years due to video game consoles.

QUOTE(Vampire Hunter D @ Jun 14 2010, 08:46 PM) out of date from the cart based era where there were far fewer genres and a large lack of subgenres as well.
Yes, classifications they use for games are so broad.

@xist

Oh yeah! Classic Board RPGs FTW! Played Conan the Barbarian when I was younger. I really wished that I was able to play D&D myself....Pinas is very far from shops that sell Classic D&D. Though I still like M:TG.
biggrin.gif
(Self confessed geek)

@topic:
Oh, yeah P3P. (Discussions are a little too far from the topic now.)

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah I know, basically ANY game you take the position of the in game character makes it a role playing game in the loosest sense as you're taking the role of the lead that drives the story.

Like I said and you agreed on, the classifications these days are too broad and bullshit to use as they don't fit at all anymore as everything is so sub-classified now.

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
XD we have derailed the topic to the definition of RPG. IMO, as long as your damage is calculated in numbers and your stats are numbers, it's an RPG. XD;;;;

Getting back on topic, I just tried Class of Heroes and I rather like it. o.o

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's an absolutely laughable definition. _EVERYTHING) in a video game is calculated in numbers, regardless if the user is aware of the math behind it or not. By your definition, Mega Man is an RPG.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But...they aren't arbitrary at all. In fact the entire point is that they are specific and explicative. I don't think you even know what arbitrary means.

CrashmanX

Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
But...they aren't arbitrary at all. In fact the entire point is that they are specific and explicative. I don't think you even know what arbitrary means.

BACK ON TOPIC, I dont know if this has been suggest but MediEvil: Resurrection is quite a bit of fun IMO.

As for those of you who continue to stray from the topic, I suggest you make your own damn topic.

CrashmanX

Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
ragingchaosgod said:
^ :wtf: really? Never tried MediEvil. What's it like? (XD;; I think TC has already strayed from this thread and I'm now the one picking up suggestions from people.)

I think its called a 2nd Person camera (Behind the main character)? Anyways, its a Hack N' Slash game. The story is that Sir Danel Fortesque is one of the Kingdoms Greatest Knights, he defeats,uh, Zarok (I think) over 100 years ago. Or so they thought, in truth he was the first soldier to die in the first volley of arrows (Right in the left eye socket). 100 years after said defeat Zarok has returned with an Army of darkness but in raising said Army of Darkness he also accidently revives Dan.

Overall its a pretty awesome game, this one is a Remake of the first one for the PS1 (Hence the Resurrection). I still wish they Remade the second one, it was superior in terms of Gameplay, levels, Items, and such but was horribly inferior in terms of Voice acting and a few other things.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with the chococat, the game was terrible. It's a third person perspective game with a camera that doesn't always help the situation. The control (not itself but of the character) is clunky and its easy to fall in a whatever(hole, spike, river, etc) or just get whacked by stuff on a weird angle or off screen. The challenge seems to come as much from the short comings of the design than the intent of the actual stages. I had tried this game and did around a 1/3 of it and got rid of it. I'm not saying it's a buggy nightmare as it's not, but it will try your patience due to some really questionable design and stupid decisions.

Oddly enough if you want something where they finally took the control out of the out of date gutter (the 2nd, 3rd and previous portable versions) with a series game look to MGS Peace Walker. The control and camera appear to handle finally pretty damn well, story seems solid, and due to some rpg like elements with resources/team management you got potential to do a lot.

melvox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The last most complete game I've ever played was X-com/UFO: Enemy Uknown. There's no PSP version of this but here is a PSX port. This game also has versions for PPCs/PDAs.

This game had it all. Strategy, Survival Horror, RPG Elements, Resource Management.

It's a shame that they're turning Xcom to a FPS...They could have done the entire game and released it on a new graphics engine...That would have beeb better

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
CrashmanX said:
xist said:
Medievil is absolutely atrocious...avoid!

This coming from you. Thats implying anyone should trust you. Your choice in games so far isnt exactly what I would call "good".

Which games have i chosen which aren't "good"?

Just checked and seen that i recommended Jeanne D'Arc, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. So you're saying that those are rubbish but Medievil is good? Way to back up my original point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)