Hacking What will happen to the many switch consoles in the future..battery life

link42586

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have A question. One day in the future when the battery of A switch is near over..Will the switch still work with A crappy battery in the dock (and just become A home console). Because my switch turned itself off one day as the battery was near dead and I thought, play it in docked mode. But it wouldn't turn on until the battery charged up A bit. I thought it would work without any charge in the battery. Not the case. unless it can hold so much of A charge first. Is their gonna be something we can do to play without A good battery down the line? Or can someone unhook the battery and try it in the dock to see if it works just from the dock. Just A thought about the future of switch consoles.

link42586

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about when nintendo doesn't sell replacement batteries for it. Anything program related we could do? I tried to buy an extended battery for wii u controller and they don't make those anymore. Only the normal batteries and that one I bought new is almost as bad as the one I replaced. Like it was sitting on the shelf forever or something.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about when nintendo doesn't sell replacement batteries for it. Anything program related we could do? I tried to buy an extended battery for wii u controller and they don't make those anymore. Only the normal batteries and that one I bought new is almost as bad as the one I replaced. Like it was sitting on the shelf forever or something.
Chinaman already makes switch batteries

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
3rd party.

LightOffPro

ユキオクン
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo repairs your console if you send it in.
Doesn't even matter if you hacked it or not, or if its out of warranty. Just send it in asking for a battery replacement.

They will charge you a fee for the new battery of course.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
funny I tried to hunt down an extended wiiu gamepad battery too but the only one I found was almost 200 dollars on ebay.
However my replacement battery works just fine. I bought it directly from Nintendo though.

link42586

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. But that's the obvious answers. In the future way down the road. When nintendo stops accepting repairs for the old crusty switch consoles out their. Just like they wont take my NES and fix it today. And they don't sell batteries for them anymore. Would it be possible to get A switch running without A functioning battery. That's what i'm getting at I guess. Thanks for the answers but I already thought about those two scenarios. And both 20 years down the line isn't gonna be acceptable..Unless you can get A 3rd party battery for it or something. But who makes A battery that size? Why does the switch absolutely need A battery at all in the dock. Does it not have the inner workings to power the switch itself without A battery or is it just programmed to charge it first. IDK..those answers are short term answers. Like go buy another one. I'm thinking worse case scenario in the future.

Yeah me too. With A few straps for my 2 3ds consoles. Straight from nintendo. The battery dies after not using it for A few days. My other one would at least hold the charge A week or more without use and still be at what it was when I left it. This one will be dead and not turn on without charging it for A week. Could just be bad luck.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess that's what I wanna hear (3rd party batteries). But can this be defeated by software somehow? Like A CFW that will power the switch without A battery at all. Tell the system to not charge A battery and just power the system itself. Or would that require A hardware mod of some kind. I just hate that the switch doesn't work without A battery charge in the dock. Your forever bound by A battery. Just something to think about one day when ur at A flea market and u find A good deal on one and the battery absolutely has to be replaced to use it even if u don't plan on using it in handheld mode. When I feel it should work in docked mode on it's own. Terrible design. Must be A reason they did it that way. Cost cutting or something. But idk i'm not in any way an engineer.

Last edited by link42586,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolute worst case scenario 20 years from now you can just wire in an external battery that meets the same voltage specs. More likely the screen will deteriorate long before that.

D

Deleted User

Yeah. But that's the obvious answers. In the future way down the road. When nintendo stops accepting repairs for the old crusty switch consoles out their. Just like they wont take my NES and fix it today. And they don't sell batteries for them anymore. Would it be possible to get A switch running without A functioning battery. That's what i'm getting at I guess. Thanks for the answers but I already thought about those two scenarios. And both 20 years down the line isn't gonna be acceptable..Unless you can get A 3rd party battery for it or something. But who makes A battery that size? Why does the switch absolutely need A battery at all in the dock. Does it not have the inner workings to power the switch itself without A battery or is it just programmed to charge it first. IDK..those answers are short term answers. Like go buy another one. I'm thinking worse case scenario in the future.

I guess that's what I wanna hear (3rd party batteries). But can this be defeated by software somehow? Like A CFW that will power the switch without A battery at all. Tell the system to not charge A battery and just power the system itself. Or would that require A hardware mod of some kind. I just hate that the switch doesn't work without A battery charge in the dock. Your forever bound by A battery. Just something to think about one day when ur at A flea market and u find A good deal on one and the battery absolutely has to be replaced to use it even if u don't plan on using it in handheld mode. When I feel it should work in docked mode on it's own. Terrible design. Must be A reason they did it that way. Cost cutting or something. But idk i'm not in any way an engineer.

I don't believe the Switch will power on with no battery. But, same as with any other part in any other console, their are alternatives. 3rd party batteries are a very viable and attractive option. You could also rig a battery up, if you're confident in your abilities and know what you're doing.
A hardware modification would need to be done to power on and operate the Switch without a battery. As for why it is this way, it may not be a conscious design choice. Being that the Switch is a very modular system, it's not really designed to be confined to a dock. The USB-C port brings power to the battery, which works for both handheld mode and dock mode. It's relatively simple, and much safer than wiring an additional way to bring power to the system.

link42586

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolute worst case scenario 20 years from now you can just wire in an external battery that meets the same voltage specs. More likely the screen will deteriorate long before that.
Sure...Might happen that's why the docked mode becomes attractive. I know someone with A broken screen who can only use it in docked mode.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also in 20 years HDMI and USB-C will be dinosaurs like the RCA jacks and parallel ports. Going to need some trickery to hook it up to a display. (Or the data port in your neck) :lol:

Reactions: Jalink9406

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo repairs your console if you send it in.
Doesn't even matter if you hacked it or not, or if its out of warranty. Just send it in asking for a battery replacement.

They will charge you a fee for the new battery of course.
Cheaper to buy 3rd party and replace yourself

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii u gamepad batteries are a example of how hard it will become to get a decent battery. It is becoming hard to find even generic ones.

Reactions: tiliarou

pin

Trophies
XP
Country
My DSi which is getting on has been in the drawer for years, still powers on. Nintendo do know batteries it seems so I wouldn't worry

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii u gamepad batteries are a example of how hard it will become to get a decent battery. It is becoming hard to find even generic ones.
Probably not a bad idea to pick an extra one up now and charge it to 50% or so every six months. I replaced mine last year with this one and it seems to work well.
https://www.amazon.com/1500mAh-Battery-Nintendo-GamePad-WUP-010/dp/B00DZKTCR4

My DSi which is getting on has been in the drawer for years, still powers on. Nintendo do know batteries it seems so I wouldn't worry
Agree the DS line batteries have a great reputation and mine have far outlasted the units themselves very well. However the Wii U Gamepad batteries have historically not met the same standards.

I also have this Wii U extension cable that splits off from the brick so you can plug in the Gamepad without having to unplug from the charging cradle. Not bad for $6.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Deluxe...o-Controller-power-Gamepad-cord-/162284883598

Last edited by thorasgar,
Reactions: Pachee and Lumince

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not a bad idea to pick an extra one up now and charge it to 50% or so every six months. I replaced mine last year with this one and it seems to work well.
https://www.amazon.com/1500mAh-Battery-Nintendo-GamePad-WUP-010/dp/B00DZKTCR4

Agree the DS line batteries have a great reputation and mine have far outlasted the units themselves very well. However the Wii U Gamepad batteries have historically not met the same standards.

I also have this Wii U extension cable that splits off from the brick so you can plug in the Gamepad without having to unplug from the charging cradle. Not bad for $6.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Deluxe...o-Controller-power-Gamepad-cord-/162284883598
Neat cable, i really want one now.

Found also this battery https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7...tick-Replacement-Repair-Part/32891975184.html The cells are likely crap but it is kinda nice to know a 6000mah could be made.

Reactions: thorasgar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro