What will happen if I run a game from a different region?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by coon-strudel, Jul 28, 2016.

1. coon-strudel
    OP

coon-strudel That one weird Furry Artist

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Not sure if this is a "noob" question or not. I looked around and couldn't find an answer.

2. Posghetti

Posghetti Greninja Master

Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Michigan
    It'll run like it should? lol (assuming you have some rf on or have some type of cfw like luma)

3. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    I have a US region 3DS, and the game I'm getting isn't supported by the region. There is no Region free version (that I'm aware of) But I am running on Luma

4. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I believe that if you do not have region free CFW like luma, they just won't show up on the home menu, but that you will be able to see them on the gridlauncher Homebrew menu. Never tried it myself, though.

5. Posghetti

Posghetti Greninja Master

Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Michigan
    You should be good then since you're running Luma

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
  7. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Thanks!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you, that's very helpful!
    I apologize for asking the question though. ^^;

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    There's no such thing as a stupid question.
    Unless you ask a retail employee if they "work here?" That's a stupid question.

9. ~Poke~

~Poke~ GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    A few games need a language spoof as well, usually Japanese ones but also the American Rhythm Heaven Megamix. I think Luma's capable of this (as well as NTR) but it does take some setting up.
    It's not too common but that's something you can look into if the game doesn't work.

10. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    If you have a really outdated CFW you'll need to run another app that spoofs region but I'll just assume that this is a noob question. If you play a game that is only released in one region it will run on your 3DS, but if it's not from an English speaking country, the game won't be in English. Hope this helps!

11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Shameless promotion plug again :creep:
    Glad that someone is able to help but please referr to the NOOB PARADISE thread for help or any questions next time. Someone there will help you, also it was a fair question. If you are using CFW, Luma supports out of region games naturally. If you only have access to homebrew, A loader called HANS supports region free games by way of carts but cannot make use of necessary update data so be warned.
    Don't forget "What is a 3DS" If you are asking that and looking for homebrew or help here, do yourself a favor and please return to your rock you came from or the woods cause i dunno where you been, but in case you wanna know, is a mobile game system by nintendo that supports 3D visuals without use of glasses.:rolleyes:

12. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Luma's region/language is for that. Most titles are programmed to support all languages and is detected by the console's default language setting. Like in the Megadrive/Genesis days. JP Bare Knuckle was Streets Of Rage on US and PAL regions and the language text would change depending on the console used.

If using a JP system, and you use a cia of a USA Smash Bros, by default it will boot in Japanese, even though its a US version. Luma fixes that problem and enables English text but the title screen icon will still be in Japanese.

I have to find a title that is locked to one only one language regardless of settings. Every 3Ds title i have tried, all have english support after using the region/language option on my JP n3ds, unless there is dedicated Japanese only releases that would not show in English but since its all titles released in all regions I use, I have yet to try but would assume it be locked to japanese text since the title (s) is programmed for jp fonts only.

Last edited by retrofan_k, Jul 28, 2016
  13. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Your 3DS will self combust

14. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Oh my gosh, that's exactly what happened when I tried. :o

TheVinAnator likes this.
  15. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    Taiko Drum Master: Adventures Through Time and Space. Attack on TItan: Humanity in Chains (or at least for me it was only JP)

16. I_AM_L_FORCE

I_AM_L_FORCE Unban me from Discord

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    The FBI might install the CIA into it's ranks and team up to hunt you down.

17. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    I'll be ready with my wooden knife and garlic necklace.