what to do with a windows 7 ultimate install floating around

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have windows 7 ultimate install floating around i don't know what to do with it my current laptop supports it as it has a Broadwell-U chip in it i would like to install it on whatever my next pc is but intel and AMD are killing support on Windows 7 and 8.1 so i really dont know what to do with it but any helo will be appreciated

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Install Windows 7, then use the assistive devices upgrade to get a valid Windows 10 license.
will grab this to question something.
what if i want to do then a fresh install of 10, is the license tied to account or something? how do i restore the license?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ps, another question is there a limit of time to use this free upgrade? like, microsoft will stop allowing us to do that soon?

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The official upgrade offer expired long ago, this is the loophole where you pretend to need an assistive device of some sort (they don't check)
The license will be tied to the computer so you can do a clean reinstall and it'll automatically reactivate when you go online.

Reactions: jDSX

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i have windows 7 ultimate install floating around i don't know what to do with it my current laptop supports it as it has a Broadwell-U chip in it i would like to install it on whatever my next pc is but intel and AMD are killing support on Windows 7 and 8.1 so i really dont know what to do with it but any helo will be appreciated
Who said they are killing support? Just because some features aren't implemented, doesn't mean they are dropping support.

The official upgrade offer expired long ago, this is the loophole where you pretend to need an assistive device of some sort (they don't check)
The license will be tied to the computer so you can do a clean reinstall and it'll automatically reactivate when you go online.
While the actual offer expired, they DO offer this now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what if i want to do then a fresh install of 10, is the license tied to account or something? how do i restore the license?

ps, another question is there a limit of time to use this free upgrade? like, microsoft will stop allowing us to do that soon?

You sure can do a Windows 10 fresh install after doing this upgrade. I'm a stickler for freshly installing an OS versus performing an upgrade. I've upgraded several Windows 7 pc's with this method, then once the upgrade was complete I formatted the hard drive and did a fresh windows 10 install. Worked fine.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Who said they are killing support? Just because some features aren't implemented, doesn't mean they are dropping support.

They are no longer providing security updates except on an emergency basis.

While the actual offer expired, they DO offer this now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Yeah, that only allows you to upgrade an existing Windows 10 install to the latest version, or download reinstallation media for an exssiting activation - or a newly purchased one.

Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Reactions: ThoD

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You answered your own question

No there is no limit.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

offer what?

You sure can do a Windows 10 fresh install after doing this upgrade. I'm a stickler for freshly installing an OS versus performing an upgrade. I've upgraded several Windows 7 pc's with this method, then once the upgrade was complete I formatted the hard drive and did a fresh windows 10 install. Worked fine.
and how do you apply the license? do i need to use an email account or something?

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't believe a fresh install after is really necessary. If you do the upgrade immediately you won't have any detritus from third party applications and such, and Windows 10 only carries over the bare minimum of configuration settings and marks the rest for deletion.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No email account is necessary.

Step 1: install and activate Windows 7
Step 2: go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
Step 3: Click "Upgrade Now" and run the tool

After that you can click through the installer without ever adding a Microsoft account. You don't even need one for logging into Windows 10, on the login page click on the "create account" then click on the little link at the bottom of the form.

And this offer is valid for Windows 7 and 8.1 devices, NOT Vista.

Nyako

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nyako.gay
XP
Country
Canada
d4e098.png

Not sure if this means past that date, people can't upgrade, or your software gets downgraded after.
...Probably the first, but this is still something to look out for.
If you're gonna do it, do it soon.

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe a fresh install after is really necessary. If you do the upgrade immediately you won't have any detritus from third party applications and such, and Windows 10 only carries over the bare minimum of configuration settings and marks the rest for deletion.

You are absolutely correct...you do NOT have to do a fresh install. I was just saying that after you do the upgrade if you ever decide to wipe your hard drive or do a fresh install, you can use the Windows 10 disc (which is downloadable from microsoft) and just install windows 10 from scratch.

d4e098.png

Not sure if this means past that date, people can't upgrade, or your software gets downgraded after.
...Probably the first, but this is still something to look out for.
If you're gonna do it, do it soon.

Good to know. Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy