Hacking What to do with a New3DS (10.2.0-27U) and an old 3DS (9.2.0-20U)?

ShadowPirater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
beyond reality, in the shadows of nowhere
XP
Country
United States
I managed to get myself a New 3DS recently and have been stuck trying to decide what to do. It's been newly set up without an NNID and otherwise untouched. I have an old 3DS on 9.2.0-20U with a compatible SuperCard DSTWO. Please keep in mind that while I'm familiar with DS flashcarts, I'm quite unfamiliar with and overwhelmed by the recent developments on 3DS hacking despite looking through the forums as best I can.

My intent was to get into the 3DS flashcard scene with a Gateway on my old 3DS and keep the New3DS unhacked and updated so I can get all the newest eShop games. I also wanted to transfer my NNID and associated data from the old 3DS to the New3DS, but it seems like both systems either need to be updated to the same firmware or hacked to do a system transfer. Before I decide on anything, I had a few questions I'm hoping to get answers to...

1) I believe updating my old 3DS from 9.2.0-20U to whatever is the newest firmware would make it incompatible with a Gateway card. Is this true? If I get a Gateway card without updating, is it going to be ready to load 3DS ROMs out of the box?

2) Would doing a system transfer wipe the pre-installed games (i.e. pkmn red and blue) on the New3DS or would it simply merge the transferred data with the pre-existing data?

3) Would I be able to somehow spoof 10.2.0-27U on my old 3DS to get my NNID on the untouched New3DS via system transfer? I'd still want my old 3DS to be compatible with a Gateway card.

4) What would it take for my New3DS to be compatible with a Gateway card? If this necessitates the New3DS getting hacked and prevented from updating, are there any downsides (i.e. no access to eshop)?

Any help is much appreciated. Much thanks in advance.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they're both the same region, I can assume you could simply A9LH both systems with Luma3DS using browserhax as your initial entry point, update both CFW SysNAND firmwares and then do a system transfer. I'm just theorizing though, I really don't know if an idea like that would work. With Luma3DS, you won't need a flashcart anymore. You could just download CIA's and install them into the CFW, assuming you're using your flashcart for piracy. I can't tell you where to get them though.

Last edited by Selim873,

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes everything will work plus you'll have free games and homebrew support. You can even update to the latest version with a9lh

ShadowPirater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
beyond reality, in the shadows of nowhere
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so it sounds like I should either...
A) apply SysNAND or RedNAND CFW to both systems, upgrade to common (9.2.0?) firmware version, system transfer, update New3DS as desired.
B) update both to latest firmware version, system transfer, get Sky3DS+ for ROMs.

Would one or the other be more future-proof, idiot-proof, require less maintenance, etc.?
Are there any trade-offs between SysNAND CFW vs. RedNAND CFW? Is there anything I should avoid if I want to be able to get my New3DS back to an unhacked state?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Literally 300 lbs. lolol