Hardware What the best speed to burn wii backup??

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Burning speed does not matter, no matter what anyone after me says.

Use DVD-R discs to burn your Wii games. If you use DVD+R discs, make sure to set the booktype to DVD-ROM. (Some Wii drives will read DVD+R discs, but others will not without the booktype set.)

You can use your favourite burning program to burn the ISO images. I recommend Imgburn because it's free and very easy to configure.

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Yep, the speed doesn't matter... BUT, I've learned you must be careful about your burner. I had one that I used to burn for a lot of time (two or more years). Some backups burned at max speed gave me DRE, so I had to burn them at lower speed. So I guess my laser was dirty and/or degradated.

Anyway, I got a new burner and all my disks work fine no matter the speed I use.

Also, the media, just make sure you get the best quality as possible if your Wii is some what old and it's picky about disk brands.

And finally, yeah, imgburn is the best.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
Sorry to say it is trial and error. Dependent on your blank media and Burner.

Using IMGBURN I got the following results.

Kodak Branded DVD-R Best on Auto. No wasted disks

Memorex Branded DVD-R pretty much could not get a good burn, nearest was about 4x but that still gave occasional disk read errors. Note to self avoid Memorex Blanks.

Sony Branded DVD+R (Present from friend)
Had to set booktype to DVD-R then Auto. Couple wasted at 4x speed, no waste at auto.

Using NEC 4550 Burner. Had to update to custom firmware to allow book type to be changed.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
Sorry to say it is trial and error. Dependent on your blank media and Burner.

Using IMGBURN I got the following results.

Kodak Branded DVD-R Best on Auto. No wasted disks

Memorex Branded DVD-R pretty much could not get a good burn, nearest was about 4x but that still gave occasional disk read errors. Note to self avoid Memorex Blanks.

Sony Branded DVD+R (Present from friend)
Had to set booktype to DVD-R then Auto. Couple wasted at 4x speed, no waste at auto.

Using NEC 4550 Burner. Had to update to custom firmware to allow book type to be changed.

adnkc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried out memorex dvd-r for my wii back ups this time and they all work. I burned them at 1x with IMG Burner, burnproof was disabled, and like I said they all worked, but...some games like NFS underground had glitches in them while I was playing, like the road in front of me would not load quick enough and the game would pause for a second or two while it loaded. That wasnt to bad, but some times when I hit an area where the track wasn't loaded yet it would reset my car, like if you pressed - button, and that sucked! costing me valuable seconds in timed races, or even cause me to not get the first place spot, and made it extremely difficult sometimes to out run the cops. I also tried burning it at 2x and 4x but it still did the same thing. Also, on some games with high quality CG cut scenes like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Trauma Center: New Blood those cut scenes would glitch or skip, and those are the good screens you want to watch. So my question is do I need to get a different brand of dvd-r because I noticed a post by some one a few before this one that said note to self avoid memorex brand dvd-r because they got disc read errors. So, has any one else burned a back up copy of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 or Trauma Center: New Blood burned them at 1x with IMG burn with burnproof off with a brand of dvd-r other than Memorex and had the beginning high quality CG cut scenes play perfectly or is that just the best you can get with those games??? Any helpful detailed information would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!! --ADNKC
grog.gif

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I use AWS, which means at the fastest it works, and use the verify feature so it makes sure its fine. I've thrown out around 1/20 discs as a result but it saves me a decent amount of time so I like it. The verify feature catches mistakes.

MrBananman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I literally just burned a kings story on a memorex 16x dvd +R, at 16x speed using imgburn and a liteon dvdrw burner. It took about 7 minutes to burn and it is running on my tv next to me as I type this. You should know that my pc was top of the line (in moderate, non crazy ass $5K+ computers) a year and a half ago and the buffer rarely drops below a full bar, I imagine a huge part of people's problems besides the dvd drives is buffer under run.

edit: i burned wii sports resort the same way and kept getting a DRE at the same spot: after beating the sword slice mode. I reburned at 4x and it worked fine. so it look slike if oyu want to be safe and not run into a DRE half way through your rpg game, its best to burn around 4x.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
adnkc said:
I tried out memorex dvd-r for my wii back ups this time and they all work. I burned them at 1x with IMG Burner, burnproof was disabled, and like I said they all worked, but...some games like NFS underground had glitches in them while I was playing, like the road in front of me would not load quick enough and the game would pause for a second or two while it loaded. That wasnt to bad, but some times when I hit an area where the track wasn't loaded yet it would reset my car, like if you pressed - button, and that sucked! costing me valuable seconds in timed races, or even cause me to not get the first place spot, and made it extremely difficult sometimes to out run the cops. I also tried burning it at 2x and 4x but it still did the same thing. Also, on some games with high quality CG cut scenes like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Trauma Center: New Blood those cut scenes would glitch or skip, and those are the good screens you want to watch. So my question is do I need to get a different brand of dvd-r because I noticed a post by some one a few before this one that said note to self avoid memorex brand dvd-r because they got disc read errors. So, has any one else burned a back up copy of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 or Trauma Center: New Blood burned them at 1x with IMG burn with burnproof off with a brand of dvd-r other than Memorex and had the beginning high quality CG cut scenes play perfectly or is that just the best you can get with those games??? Any helpful detailed information would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!! --ADNKC
grog.gif

sounds like a backup loader problem, not the burn.

i burn all my games 8x on dvd-r media with imgburn and have no problems :]

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I use ritek GO5 traxdata full face printable burning at 4x, every game works 200+ so far, if I burn at 8x I get issues but it might be my wii I dunno.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
adnkc said:
grog.gif

This has nothing to do with your burn speed. I'm assuming your Wii is soft modded. Soft modded Wiis can only read burned discs at 3x speed, not the 6x speed that retail games run at. Get a mod chip (which allows backups to be read at 6x) or use a USB loader.

As far as burn speed goes, burning at a low speed is mostly bs left over from the days when PCs were slow and could barely handle the transfer rate needed to burn DVDs at 16x. If you PC is fairly decent you should have no problem burning at max speed. Use imgburn with the 'verify' option on. If the disc verifies correctly the data is there and burning at a slower speed won't make any difference.

kampang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using:

TDK DVD+R 4.7 GB Single Sided, 1-16 speed, extra fine matt, photo inkjet printable.

NERO 7.5 (Using burn image function).

First, I used 4x speed ... works perfectly.
And now I am using 16x speed ... also works perfectly ... every single one.

I choosed printable DVD because I also print small cover image in it! Very nice
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads