Hacking What stops us from 100% custom Firmware?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well sure, if you solder up the RAM to a hardware capable of reading and writing it, you could probably do anything with the system, but that's such a complex setup and difficult to install that it's impractical and implausible for a regular user. Neimod had a setup like that when he and yellows8 were first hacking the 3DS.

http://flashconsoles-lyon.fr/wp-content/images/neimod-ram-3ds-hack.png
http://www.consoleopen.com/forum/at...kernel-mode-ottenuto-su-nintendo-3ds-ram4.jpg

:huh: How did they manage that without bridging connections and blowing up their 3DS?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
So the step 3....does a microchip could do this step?
"Microchip" is incredibly nonspecific. Probably some kind of FPGA, something similar to the Xilinx Coolrunner used with the RGH on 360, but I'm not sure if even that would be enough. The fact that no-one has yet got it working, after over a year of being known, makes me think you would need more.

:huh: How did they manage that without bridging connections and blowing up their 3DS?
Neimod is, despite all his alleged personality problems, an incredibly skilled hardware and software engineer.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"Microchip" is incredibly nonspecific. Probably some kind of FPGA, something similar to the Xilinx Coolrunner used with the RGH on 360, but I'm not sure if even that would be enough. The fact that no-one has yet got it working, after over a year of being known, makes me think you would need more.

If only nowaday everyone would have acces to nanotechnologies

PandaMayFire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after reading some of this, what you're saying is, we will most certainly never have the keys unless a really pissed ex employee leaks them like a ninja out of spite? And even then, that's still pretty unlikely? What kinds of stuff would we be able to do with full control of the system anyways? I don't know anything on the subject, I'm not a coder, hacker, ect

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So after reading some of this, what you're saying is, we will most certainly never have the keys unless a really pissed ex employee leaks them like a ninja out of spite? And even then, that's still pretty unlikely? What kinds of stuff would we be able to do with full control of the system anyways? I don't know anything on the subject, I'm not a coder, hacker, ect

We could downgrade any 3ds without backup and we could install cfw that launch on boot and we could compile our own custom firmwar and when I say custom it could be realy realy custom
By the way we could completly decrypt the nand so it would be great to make more advanced homebrews

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Listen people, it's impossible withot a leak or without a full decap, and probably neither is happening, why is this so damn hard to understand? It's a HARDWARE issue.

but i just had another great idea, why don't we write a RSA emulator?!?!

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
The drawback is that you have to code your own services, which is dumb and hasn't been done on consoles for years. A custom shell is all you need.
If you just want it to function like current cfw then just flashing the modified firm is enough. Unless you really need a new service or coding an OS from scratch, services have nothing to do with this.
Or modified anything really.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
FFS I literally googled "3DGum". I'm an idiot. First three steps makes it sound like it's gonna be one of those "weird but works" ideas. And then I saw: "Slap an SD card on top of the gum".

Seriously.... you read "Attach lots of wet bubble gum", and thought 'sounds legit'? :wacko:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you just want it to function like current cfw then just flashing the modified firm is enough. Unless you really need a new service or coding an OS from scratch, services have nothing to do with this.
Or modified anything really.
That's exactly what I said - a CFW working on-top of what's already on the system is better than a fully custom CFW because you don't have to re-invent the wheel, that was my whole point.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
That's exactly what I said - a CFW working on-top of what's already on the system is better than a fully custom CFW because you don't have to re-invent the wheel, that was my whole point.
It still has nothing to do with rewriting services, and the point was never about a replacement OS (which is what you're referring to by "fully custom CFW")

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering, now we have came so far in the 3ds hacking community with gateway, homebrew, apps and emulators. and now we even have some semi custom firmwares via exploits. we even have access to the SYSnand and the ability to install there now.
but i was wondering what stops us from becoming the full hacked 3ds we want to be? a custom firmware installed to the SYSnand with no security/signature checks. Just boot up the 3ds and your done, like a psp.
now i dont know much about 3ds coding/devs but i would assume its because of the inability to forge these files?

ticket.db
certs.db
title.db
import.db

or perhaps because even if we do, a simple update could patch the whole thing so that would keep up limited to one version?
im just swinging in the dark here.
some Pro information would be appreciated.

we need 100% cfw support? then we 100% encryption breaking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY