Gaming What PSP should I buy?

Kannyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I'm kinda noob with PSP related stuff, in fact I never had one or even played in one... But recently I decided to give it a try.
I want to play PSP games, PSX, emulate GBA, SNES and MAME, NEO GEO.
What PSP should I look for? Every models and firmware are compatibles with CFW or I need to get a specific one or buy some kind of flashcart?

I appreciate any kind of support.
Thanks.

Fabrizo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP 2000, hackable version (there are non-hackable 2000's so be careful of that).
The 3000s can only use lite cfw, and the GO doesn't support UMDs (plus even though the screen is nice it's smaller, and the controls are a bit more cramped too)

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
All models are very easily soft-moddable (hackable with no need for extra hardware like a flashcart). See Rydian's Guide here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/

Only the 1000 and early manufactured 2000s can install the 6.6 CFW 'Permanent' method. All others you need to either run 6.2 CFW or 6.6 CFW 'temporary' method, which means each time you power the system on you have to run a program from the menu to re-enable the hack. It only takes a 10 seconds or so but some people dont like having to do it.
There are no 'un-hackable' PSPs. Only ones where you have to re-launch the CFW each time you boot the console.

• PSP1000 has 32MB RAM (all others have 64MB) and a screen that ghosts pretty bad. To be honest not a lot of things use the extra RAM but it doesn't hurt. It's meant to speed up loading games from UMD but you'll be running them all from memory card anyway :)
  • PSP2000 has a screen with less ghosting and more vivid colours, and is thinner and lighter.
  • PSP3000 has a screen with even less ghosting and even more vivid colours, but it does have an 'interlacing effect', the impact of which varies depending on who you ask. Google it if worried. Thinner and lighter than the 1000, just like the 2000.
  • PSP Go has a slightly smaller screen but next to no ghosting and no interlacing effect. It's also a different form factor, smaller overall and uses different memory cards (memory stick M2) which are harder to find for sale. It comes with 16GB of inbuilt storage so a memory card is not required other than for additional space. Some people dont like the GOs, personally it's my favourite (I own a 1000 and 2 Gos). If you have very large hands its probably best to avoid.
  • PSP street (E-1000) is just awful and avoid it at all costs. Mono sound, no wifi, awful cheap feeling case etc.
There's some discussion of the merits of each model here (and im sure in many other threads on this site and elsewhere): http://gbatemp.net/threads/psp-2000-or-3000.366498

Rare_Tiger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nizarnemer.co.nr
XP
Country
You forgot to say a few things there.
  • PSP Phat 1000 has an infrared sensor, so using a homebrew called PSP Universal Remote will let you control anything from TVs to audio players to ACs
  • PSP Slim 2000 models that have a motherboard above TA-088v3 is "unhackable" & thus cannot have permanent CFW. You'll have to install LCFW, but doing so is just the same as on a PSP 3000. A hackable PSP can always be unbricked, & it supports Pandora battery & Magic Memory Stick.
  • PSP Brite 3000 can have LCFW installed, & if you want the CFW to launch by default, you can use the 6.20 PRO CFW Perma-patch. I don't see why one might need this though.
  • PSPgo N1000 is what I'd recommend. You won't play any UMDs, & it's small & compact. It's the same as 3000 but with more features. It supports plugins for any firmware, it has Bluetooth, it can pause a game & go to the XMB, it can tether internet via a hotspot.. yeah that model is awesome. PSP will lose PS Store support next week, so no more downloads for PSPgo, unless you're using homebrews or ISO/CSO backups.
  • PSP Street E1000 looks better. It's clunky like the Phat yet light & sexy. But, it still lacks the things Count Duckula mentioned.
I had a PSPgo, & now I have 2 Brites. I liked them all.. :psp::wub:

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silver psp 2000 slim model. It's the jax and daxter psp. those for sure you can install permanent custom firmware on.

Kannyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So the 3000 can be hacked easilly but it won't be permanent, everytime I turn on it will need the Fast Recovery, that's it?

I don't need to worry about firmware? I mean can I buy any PSP 3000 and the CFW will work?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the 3000 can be hacked easilly but it won't be permanent, everytime I turn on it will need the Fast Recovery, that's it?

I don't need to worry about firmware? I mean can I buy any PSP 3000 and the CFW will work?
Correct. It works but is "not" permanent like a PSP 1000 or PSP 2000 model.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a E1000 (Street) because it was very very cheap and you know what? The screen quality is better than a 3000 and the mono sound is not an issue, especially when you use headphones.
It has a UMD drive and it's nice and quiet.

I have 0 complaints except the no wifi thing but most of the online is dead and Sony are stopping PSP PSN soon so I can just use a PS3 or Media Go..... no biggy!
My opinion only of course.

Reactions: Cyan

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
PSP GO IS MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE I CURRENTLY OWN A BLUE ONE
BUT PSP3000 IS SAME AS THE GO BUT IT HAS UND COMPARTMENT BUT DOESN'T HAVE THE PSP GOS 16GB INTERNAL MEMORY

PSP 1000 IS ALSO GOOD BUT BEWARE SOME ISOS LAGG ON IT EXAMPLE OF THIS IS STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT ELITE SQUADRON

ID GO FOR THE GO

Reactions: KongsNutz
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

As cvskid said, yes that's correct. Any model of PSP on any firmware can run CFW to let you run homebrew and ISOs, and it is very easy to install.
The only real difference from your POV is that you have to run the fast recovery each boot for 6.6 CFW on any PSP other than the 1000 and early manufactured 2000s.

There is also the option of running CFW 6.2 permanent, but you need to be careful.
If the PSP you get is running firmware 6.2 or below, you can just install the 6.2 CFW and the permanent patch instead of the 6.6 temporary CFW.
If the PSP you get is running a firmware above 6.2 but it shipped with 6.2 or lower you can downgrade it to 6.2 . See the 'Downgrading a 6.60 PSP to 6.20' section of http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/
I downgraded both my PSP Gos from 6.6 to 6.2 and now run the 6.2 permanent CFW.
Trying to downgrade a PSP that shipped with a firmware above 6.2 may cause problems and isn't recommended.

Basically, if you buy:
  • Any model of PSP that is running firmware above version 6.2, you can run 6.6 temporary CFW.
  • Any model of PSP that is running firmware 6.2 or below, you can run 6.2 permanent CFW or 6.6 temporary CFW.
  • A PSP 1000 or an early revision of the 2000, you can run 6.6 permanent CFW

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Your choice should be between the "brite" (3000) and the Go. The others just "don't exist". I really don't get what's the big problem with the "non permanent" hacking. Seriously, why settle for a lesser console just to not have to run a 5-10 sec process after a power off?

I have my brite for 3 years, and i am pretty sure i haven't used the fast recovery more than 40-50 times. The PSP almost never needs a shutdown, you just put it to sleep mode and it can last for many days. Most times i had to run fast recovery were because of a faulty iso/eboot...

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your choice should be between the "brite" (3000) and the Go. The others just "don't exist". I really don't get what's the big problem with the "non permanent" hacking. Seriously, why settle for a lesser console just to not have to run a 5-10 sec process after a power off?

I have my brite for 3 years, and i am pretty sure i haven't used the fast recovery more than 40-50 times. The PSP almost never needs a shutdown, you just put it to sleep mode and it can last for many days. Most times i had to run fast recovery were because of a faulty iso/eboot...
I understand the 1000 model being a lesser console due to less ram but what about the 2000 model compared to the 3000 model?

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've owned a Phat 1000 for quite a few years, and was quite happy with it, although the screen ghosting is very noticeable in some games (FFIV complete collection springs to mind as one of the worst), and some of the better emulators don't work perfectly - the NeoGeo emulator has trouble with some larger rom sets for instance, but it is very comfortable to hold, and can be had very cheap.

Last month I bought a PSPGo with some Amazon gift cards I had accumulated, and it's one of the nicest games machines I've ever owned, tiny and beautifully made, the screen, though a little smaller than previous PSPs is stunningly sharp. I'm running 6.20 PRO with the perma-patch, but I bought the charging cradle too and never turn the thing off, I just sleep it and stick it on the cradle. Also, if you get the component cable and a PS3 controller you can play all your games on your big TV, honestly the quality isn't great, but it does actually upscale PS1 games which makes it preferable to using an actual PS! with an HDTV. Only minor niggle if you're just learning your way with PSPs is that some older games and some plugins/homebrew fail to "see" the internal storage and won't save, this can usually be remedied by installing an M2 card though.

I'd say get a beat up but functional 1000 to learn your way around CFW (zero risk with a Phat) and get a Go for the best possible PSP experience.

BTW, I have pretty big hands, but after some initial confusion caused by being used to the Phat layout I'm now quite comfortable with the Go's controls, and it weighs nothing by comparison to its big brother.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One other point I forgot about the E1000 (Street) model is the fact that, yes, it is matte black and not shiny........but that's great NO FINGERPRINTS!
So to reinstate:

• No fingerprints
  • Quiet UMD drive
  • Best screen (besides 2000 and Go)
  • Mono sound a non-issue due to headphones being stereo anyway
  • Wifi really a non-issue at least for me since online is dead (Gameplay and PSN soon)
  • More kid friendly (It matters for me at least)
  • Cheapest model
  • Runs CFW flawlessly!

Fabrizo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to compare, the difference between the 3000 and 2000 screens when it comes to movement:

10-21-08-psp-screen-comaro_540x206.jpg

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o