ROM Hack What programs are used to translate text in games?

sendyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What program is used to translate text in games?I'm referring to Japanese games in general.Because I tried with a hex editor but there characters dont show up correctly it only shows in weird numbers and signs Example:[email protected]*6y7

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on what game, different games require different programs, there is no one program for all games. Only hex editors are universal.

sendyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shlong said:
Depends on what game, different games require different programs, there is no one program for all games. Only hex editors are universal.

Do you know of any hex editing tutorials that I can use to translate Japanese games?The hex editors I already have by the way are Hex editor Neo and hex workshop.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well for starters, you don't just open up the ROM/ISO/whatever in a hex editor. You need to unpack it, find the script files, work out if they're encrypted, if so decrypt them (may require reverse engineering binary of game, i.e. disassembling it and finding decryption routine for script), then edit them, if necessary re-encrypt them, and finally pack up the ROM/ISO/whatever again, and play it. For NDS, its always ROMs, and you shouldn't have a ROM of a game unless you own it.

sendyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I might be able to translate Japanese games,Just need a tutorial on how to hex edit Japanese games.Because every time I open it in the hex editor it doesn't show the characters.Which is kinda weird.

Edit:Made this post before the post above.
rofl.gif

sendyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Well for starters, you don't just open up the ROM/ISO/whatever in a hex editor. You need to unpack it, find the script files, work out if they're encrypted, if so decrypt them (may require reverse engineering binary of game, i.e. disassembling it and finding decryption routine for script), then edit them, if necessary re-encrypt them, and finally pack up the ROM/ISO/whatever again, and play it. For NDS, its always ROMs, and you shouldn't have a ROM of a game unless you own it.

Do you know of any good decrypters for nds?

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Hmmmm
unsure.gif

I wonder what Japanese game you might be thinking of editing the text of.

You still have to wonder about that?

sendyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SimpyDsi said:
I'm pretty sure it dun wurk lyk dat^^
Google is your friend. Do a bit of research before posting
wink.gif

Actually I did do research before posting but I couldn't find anything helpful I also tried Romhacking.net's website.But I don't really know how to use their site.It's kinda confusing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: its the emote but ridiculously small