Question on Rearranging Pointers for DS game (adding more text or space for characters in a line)

BonillaP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

I'm currently working on Angelique DS and I ran into a bit of an issue I hope I can help solve. The text can finally show english letters and is spaced well. However, when typing a line sometimes the English line is longer than the Japanese line. I can't press space because that just overwrites the next line of dialogue. A few people told me that I would have to rearrange pointers or set it to have more characters in that line but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Any tips? or is there another program people use that I should use when writing .msgs. I've been using hex editors like crystaltile2 and Tinke to do it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Example2.png
DiaIhavedecided.png

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few people told me that I would have to rearrange pointers or set it to have more characters in that line but I'm not quite sure how to do that.
If that's the case, then there should be a "pointer table" somewhere in the ROM: a big list of numbers indicating the offset relative to the start of the ROM where each string of text starts. You would make a line longer by editing the pointer table so that the next line of text starts at a different offset farther from the start of the ROM.

Of course it gets tricky sometimes because sometimes the numbers in the pointer table are all shifted by the same number of bytes.

You should be able to find ample documentation on the subject.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4