Hacking What Modifications Does SX Modchip Actually Make To The Console?

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an SX modchip I purchased to install in my Switch so I can load homebrew on it. However, I have no idea what the modchip is actually doing to the Switch (w.r.t. software/firmware/fuses) and am having a lot of difficulty finding a central source of information on it.

What does this modchip actually directly change on the console once it is installed? Does it make permanent changes which can be easily detected? Can all of the changes it makes be rolled back in the future?

Sneethan

Trophies
Website
cutt.ly
XP
Country
Australia
I have an SX modchip I purchased to install in my Switch so I can load homebrew on it. However, I have no idea what the modchip is actually doing to the Switch (w.r.t. software/firmware/fuses) and am having a lot of difficulty finding a central source of information on it.

What does this modchip actually directly change on the console once it is installed? Does it make permanent changes which can be easily detected? Can all of the changes it makes be rolled back in the future?

I dont know exactly but it will always leave traces and can be hard to remove.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They write custom BCTs to boot0 then glitch the bpmp when signature checks are being performed on initial bootloader shit, allowing for arbitrary code execution from a pkg1 context.

What’s really amusing is that this general attack has been publicly known for years, yet Nvidia still somehow didn’t decide it would be a good idea to have anti-glitch protections during the signature checks for whatever on Mariko despite having added anti-glitch practically everywhere else, which would’ve made glitching that check far more difficult.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it very interesting that the Xbox 360 RGH chips that came out years ago should have caused hardware manufacturers to protect their chips from this kind of attack in the future yet here we are with a Nintendo Switch glitch chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Software update might improve it.