Hacking emmc initialized in slower mode - 2019 model

Karichi1919

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SOLVED - Had to replace RST resistor and change the CMD and DAT0 resistors on my picofly for 100 ohm resistors

I've installed picofly on a 2019 model switch. It seemed to work smoothly, only to realize that while performing the backups it started popping out warnings about emmc being in slow mode. Usually it does it right at the start, but this time it was after it had finished doing the backups. Luckily i do at least have full emmc backups as it did manage to finish, as now I've got a really big issue.

I poked around the resistors and replaced the ones near the solder points, knowing of the dreaded CMD resistor problem on the oled switch. But the issue wouldn't go away, sometimes failing to glitch altogether. I realized that as long as the modchip wires were soldered, even if I removed the 3v3 wire to prevent the chip from working, it would prevent booting to OFW. Removed the modchip, and it started working again... until it didn't: decided to leave it in sleep mode for a while and check on it occasionally, by the fourth time I checked it actually had turned off; and now it doesn't turn back on at all.

Any idea what could be happening? I suspect there might be something still occasionally causing the emmc to only work in slow mode and making the console unable to function properly. I tried using another emmc chip (working) to see if that too would initialize in slow mode, and it does! So the issue is definitely on the motherboard. Sometimes it would give me 2002-3539 errors, or the modchip would output *=* or ** error codes. They are "No eMMC block 0 read (eMMC init failure?)", and "RST is not connected" respectively. RST is very much connected however.

It does charge and takes 15V @ ~0.5A both ways.

Please help me, haha. While I can afford to replace this for the person who asked me to perform the mod, I really would rather not. Please don't shame me for working on someone else's device, I have a lot of experience with this stuff, I wasn't negligent. I must just have f*ed up somewhere, as it happens to everyone... or maybe I was just very unlucky.

Last edited by Karichi1919,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
If so, check your DAT0 adapter as that might not have been seated properly.
I don't know what adapter you used but there are some bad ones out there that happen to short the pin next to the DAT0.
The Nintendo 2002-3539 error is also an emmc related error so if you get this error without any adapter/cables attached,
then the lines to the emmc might be damaged or the emmc is not making conact the the motherboard properly.

All the experts are in the Picofly thread . Just provide the relevant details and pictures and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction faster than I can.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/

Karichi1919

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If so, check your DAT0 adapter as that might not have been seated properly.
I don't know what adapter you used but there are some bad ones out there that happen to short the pin next to the DAT0.
The Nintendo 2002-3539 error is also an emmc related error so if you get this error without any adapter/cables attached,
then the lines to the emmc might be damaged or the emmc is not making conact the the motherboard properly.

All the experts are in the Picofly thread . Just provide the relevant details and pictures and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction faster than I can.
The modchip has been removed. It's a 2019 model, there's no dat0 adapter. I feel like this problem falls more into a generic modchip-installation-related hardware issue rather than picofly itself, since the switch isn't working anymore. Replacing the emmc module was still making it initialize in slow mode so I know the emmc is fine. Problem lies on the motherboard, but the traces don't look damaged. I will be poking around again on monday or tuesday, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Last edited by Karichi1919,

Karichi1919

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Either your emmc is dying or you bridge something on your setup, so might want to check your soldering work.
No bridges, double checked already and I can assure you of that. Replacing emmc with another module to test will still not work so I'm pretty sure it's not an emmc problem. I'll be opening it again soon and let you know anyway.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No bridges, double checked already and I can assure you of that. Replacing emmc with another module to test will still not work so I'm pretty sure it's not an emmc problem. I'll be opening it again soon and let you know anyway.

What brand is the emmc that is having the problem?

Karichi1919

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What brand is the emmc that is having the problem?
Oh gosh, I have no clue. I didn't think of marking that down. But I can tell you the brand of the module I tried putting in as replacement is a samsung. Only issue is, I took a better look at it now and it looks like it has traces of flux underneath, it might have been reflowed. I'll have to test with a different module it seems..

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh gosh, I have no clue. I didn't think of marking that down. But I can tell you the brand of the module I tried putting in as replacement is a samsung. Only issue is, I took a better look at it now and it looks like it has traces of flux underneath, it might have been reflowed. I'll have to test with a different module it seems..

Samsung one is good, all my modded switch have Samsung one, I know people that have Sk Hynix one have the exact same problem, if you didn't bridge anything on the board or soldering incorrectly.

Karichi1919

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Looking better at the picofly install guide, I see that it has this little bit here:
If you have slow EMMC issues after putting everything
together, one possible reason is that you need two
additional resistors, one each on CMD and DAT0, like
below, for a total of 94 ohms on each line:

That looks an awful lot like what I am experiencing, as removing the 3v3 wire to stop the chip from kicking in would still cause issues, but I never removed the ground wire. Meaning the ground reference was still there, I imagine it would be easier for the signal to disperse that way if it formed a path of least resistance.

I'll be trying this solution as soon as I can. As for why it doesn't work now, I think I see the RST line resistor is missing.

I really hate having to put two resistors on there, I'll just go with one 100 ohm resistor and that should work?

Karichi1919

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I solved my issue. Had to replace RST resistor which I knocked off somehow, and changed the CMD and DAT0 resistors on my picofly for 100 ohm resistors

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol