Homebrew What knowledge do I need?

hyguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really want to make a homebrew app for the 3ds. One that wirelessly downloads mods to your SD. What knowledge do I need to make it? Thank you!

Solution
A programming language "supported by" the 3DS (most popular are probably C, C++ and Lua... but I haven't looked into that in quite a while)

Libraries for said programming language implementing a network stack, including whatever protocol you want to use for file downloads (HTTP, for example) and the lower layers of the stack (TCP/IP, Wifi itself... the implementation is already provided by the 3DS OS, but even if you want to use that, you will need libraries pointing to those implementations)

A decent implementation plan

Researching other open source software (preferably for 3DS) that already implements the concept of downloading files and storing them to SD (LumaUpdater? Freeshop's self update? FBI's TitleDB and the other homebrews...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A programming language "supported by" the 3DS (most popular are probably C, C++ and Lua... but I haven't looked into that in quite a while)

Libraries for said programming language implementing a network stack, including whatever protocol you want to use for file downloads (HTTP, for example) and the lower layers of the stack (TCP/IP, Wifi itself... the implementation is already provided by the 3DS OS, but even if you want to use that, you will need libraries pointing to those implementations)

A decent implementation plan

Researching other open source software (preferably for 3DS) that already implements the concept of downloading files and storing them to SD (LumaUpdater? Freeshop's self update? FBI's TitleDB and the other homebrews implementing it?), as most of the basic building blocks are probably already done by someone else and there's little reason to duplicate effort - with probably inferior results

Mental flexibility (both general, and in the form of general programming knowledge for any platform/language) to understand and correctly piece together all of the above!!! :)

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably alot better than a 660ti