What is your favorite anti-piracy message?

hqdefault (1).jpg

For as long as video games have existed, so too have pirates. No matter the personal reasoning behind their choices, there's always gamers out there eagerly waiting for the second a game launches, not to buy it, but rather so that the scene teams can get their hands on it and undo the DRM protecting the game's files, or so that it can be played on an emulator.

Sometimes, these quick DRM-removal uploads miss something, and the game KNOWS that you're playing an illegal copy. Depending on what tricks the developers left in the game, it could mean a secret hidden message that calls you out on your actions, or it's a simple way of messing with the player. One of the most notable "anti-piracy" messages comes from Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green, which famously has a message that triggers when playing a copy on an early version of a GBA emulator, or so the story goes. While talking to the ferryman who checks your ticket to board the S.S. Anne, he'll let you through, but not before giving you a passing message of, "By the way: if you like this game, buy it or die".

buyordie.png

The legitimacy of the text has been debated for years, and interested dataminers have tried their best to find this mysterious message in the ROM's files. Present in only a single incredibly early ROM dump and nowhere else, the most sensible explanation is that the original hacker who backed up their game left the text in a place where it wouldn't immediately be found, but would be seen by just enough people to make waves across the internet.

And it did, for years. Both startling and funny, the message's legendary status likely inspired developers to include such references in their data. A legitimate occurrence of a game's developers having their last laugh at pirates can be found in Game Dev Tycoon, a game about making games. As you build upon your career as a video game maker, your company will grow and prosper...at least until you're given a report within the first hour of the game. If you're playing a "cracked" copy--which was uploaded specifically by creators themselves, they left a sneaky surprise. Your studio has tons of fans, and your games are well-liked, but it seems that...gamers keep pirating your games! Game Dev Tycoon goes meta, claiming that if the players don't support the official release and rely on piracy, then the company you've spent a while managing will go bankrupt! Well played.

game-dev-tycoon-100412669-orig.jpg

Recently, fake anti-piracy messages have been flooding YouTube, attempting to make realistic-looking or creepy-pasta level AP text, proving that players are still amused by hidden messages from developers still to this day. Whether it's Pokemon Black and White trolling the player by not giving you any EXP at all, Earthbound upping the encounter rate to an unbearable degree to punish you, or Mirror's Edge taking away the ability to run, what's your favorite anti-piracy message or effect?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have run into an anti-piracy screen once, but not because I pirated the game. Back in 2012/2013 when creepypastas were still popular, I remember seeing game corruption videos and cartridge tilt vids. These were videos where someone would intentionally tilt a cartridge and get all sorts of insanity.

Think stuff like this:

Anyways, I was bored, and pulled out one of my older brothers' legit SNES one evening and decided to tilt Killer Instinct. You know, because why not? Eventually, I tilted it to where, upon boot, the game gave me the Rare anti-piracy message that says the same thing as it does in DKC. The chills it gave me, what with no music, the KI symbol plus the background and the it being dimmed, was akin to witnessing a fatality in a lot of those old MK-wannabes back in the day (which KI started out as before having finishers in the current KI that make Guilty Gears Instant Kills look violent by comparison).

Killer_Instinct_SNES_unauthorized_device.png

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fear the jam, violator

DVx3D4sU8AAaKNx.jpg
Oh, how tasty! I wanna be prosecutedt!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm pro-piracy, as certain times justify it, like when games get pulled from digital storefronts for stupid reasons, and piracy is the only way to acquire and play the game. (Blur on PC, for example.)

View attachment 242048
PT. Anyone remember that?
Or now DSiWare, I guess, and LEGO City Undercover U.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, and Spider-Man: Friend or Foe.
Used to play that a LOT back on the PS2, or something; I loved it. It was so charming, and being able to play as multiple different characters was awesome. Sadly, it's not on any digital storefront anymore, which is dumb as hell.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was immediately thinking of game dev tycoon and that serious Sam 3 situation. But in terms of schadenfreude, nothing beats this one:

View attachment 242054

For those unfamiliar : the wii homebrew channel has this kind of protection, iirc if you start messing around with the actual IOS'es (that the wii uses, and I think the hbc as well) instead of 'safely' using cIOS'es in empty places on the thing. Basically : if you modded it wrong.
I was fairly new to gbatemp, but 'sort of knew' how having a wii worked. Yet pretty soon I was one of the 'experts', simply because many were way more clueless of the process and what it does.
There was a time where every other week someone popped in with a message like this. And then things went short if like this :
Noob: halp! My homebrew channel is upside down!
Us: okay... You need to obtain fresh IOS'es from nusd and use a wad installer to re-install <a bunch of IOS'es> to fix this.
Noob: huh? IOS? Wads? I just wanna play games!
Someone : what guide did you follow to hack your wii?
(on hindsight, I suspect at least some just asked this out of schadenfreude as well)
Noob: some obscure YouTube channel that hasn't been edited in years, with files from some site.
Us : yeah... That's your problem. :tpi:

(note : I've got to admit I've ran into this myself when first messing with Sneek. But this was more a hobby project than anything else so it was somehow both frustrating and hilarious at the same time :P)
16107780989072065001314.jpg
I've had that happen and had no idea that that's what it was. For some reason DIOS MIOS won't work on my Wii, so i just tried a lot of stuff and at one point the menu was upside down. I restored the nand and followed another tutorial and fixed it... But i'd still love to know why dios mios refuses to work oo

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
did you have the CD version or was it part of a game pack with other games? the codebook and manual would have been on the CD. when i first played it i got it as part of a pack of other games in a long sleeve of plastic cd covers there wasn't any manual for any of the games. so when i encountered so called puzzle i thought the game was broken and took it back to the shops. they than explained to me that there is a codebook on the cd you must use. and i was like: :wtf:
No, I had the diskette version :) unless I'm completely misremembering stuff!

I have to say, I have beaten it since, just that the young little Issac struggled his first time around xD

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
My favorite was in one of the tools for Wii. Where they ask if you will use the tool for piracy and if you say yes, you can't use the tool ever again unless you delete a file and a lot of people answered honestly. I can't remember the tool though.

RobertX

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know, while I've heard the stories, and saw proof in the Youtube channels, no game that I played bothered me, and I played lots.

I do sleep with a shotgun under my pillow though.

EDIT: I have voices in my head, they counsel me, they understand, they talk to me.

Last edited by RobertX,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd go with the one in Spyro:Year of the Dragon for the PS1. Those Pradox "perfect" cracks were the reason why I had to go and find actual copies of several games.
It was heartbreaking to burn a CD for 40 minutes at 2x and then finding out that it didn't work. But honestly, even a regular retail copy wouldn't work, since the game was seeking the presence of a modchip and would refuse to work if one was detected.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It was heartbreaking to burn a CD for 40 minutes at 2x and then finding out that it didn't work. But honestly, even a regular retail copy wouldn't work, since the game was seeking the presence of a modchip and would refuse to work if one was detected.
That antipiracy was smart because mod chips worked too well apparently and it was kind of random too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1