What is the probability of bricking when installing a9lh?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gamemasteru03, Apr 30, 2017.

  1. gamemasteru03
    OP

    gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

    Member
    806
    338
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    So I am about to help my friend install a9lh and began wondering what is the probability of bricking without including user error? Also is it safe to download all the files for him and then compress it into a rar?
     
  2. gamemasteru03
    OP

    gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

    Member
    806
    338
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Also if you tell me a very low number it would help cool my nerves.
     
  3. Dionicio3

    Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

    Member
    3,212
    5,662
    Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Very low if you follow 3ds.guide
     
  4. paulttt

    paulttt GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    126
    25
    Sep 1, 2008
    Yeah, if you follow it exactly then you'll be fine.

    Read, then read again before doing anything.
     
  5. jupitteer

    jupitteer idk what i'm doing

    Member
    904
    857
    Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Subcon
    It will never brick, except for user error. Follow the bible, 3ds.guide, closely, and you'll be fine.
     
    Quantumcat likes this.
  6. Dionicio3

    Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

    Member
    3,212
    5,662
    Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Also, NEVER follow a video guide
     
    MiniShrekOgre likes this.
  7. gamemasteru03
    OP

    gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

    Member
    806
    338
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Yeah were following that guide. I am just very nervous since if I brick my bff's 3ds doing this he will not be happy.
     
  8. Lilith Valentine

    Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

    Member
    20,197
    21,577
    Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Every form of hacking to this level comes with a small chance of bricking. That's simply the nature of these hacks.
    But if you study the guide, so you know to look out for and what could happen. You should come out just fine after you are finished.
    The tools provided are well tested and setup to be some of the best brick preventatives.
     
    Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Apr 30, 2017
    Majickhat55 likes this.
  9. Dionicio3

    Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

    Member
    3,212
    5,662
    Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    If you follow it exactly, there is pretty much a 0% chance of bricking
     
  10. gamemasteru03
    OP

    gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

    Member
    806
    338
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Ok thank you all. This has cooled my nerves a lot. Eventhough this is my 4th time doing this.
     
  11. ikkinomi

    ikkinomi Member

    Newcomer
    32
    17
    Apr 22, 2017
    France
    Somwhere you don't even know
    I am totaly noob in hacking consol. I hacked 1 o3ds 11.3 and a n3ds 9.x . Everything work verry well with a9lh and Luma3d on both consoles (FW 11.4)

    Juste follow the guide and enjoy yourself !
    Have a Nice Day


    (Sorry for my bad english)
     
  12. Majickhat55

    Majickhat55 The Red Woman

    Member
    4,643
    2,316
    Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    While there is a relatively low level chance of bricking your device by following the guide to the T, it is completely erroneous to claim there is a 0% chance. As Crystal said, anytime you use hacks at this level there is a risk of bricking your device. Outside of user error, there are a ton of other variables at play. All it takes is one misfire in a delicate step (a system crash while writing to FRIM1/0 for example) to completely brick. I'm not trying to make anyone nervous but you should understand the risks regardless. Yes, there is a chance you may brick by installing A9LH even following the guide. The percentage is low but it HAS happened more than once for one reason or another.
     
  13. osm70

    osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    963
    398
    Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Based on how the 3DS works, you could say there's a small chance of bricking even if you don't hack it at all. The official System Update could cause a brick.
     
  14. xflamer234

    xflamer234 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    155
    13
    Nov 15, 2015
    Jamaica
    0% if u follow the 3ds.guide word for word and read it carefully and do everything it says.Also NEVER follow a video tutorial
     
  15. Clydefrosch

    Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    4,145
    1,195
    Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    when you say you're helping a friend, i hope you mean you'll be there in the same room basically doing it for him.
    because if you do something like guiding him through IMs or something, this just begs for a user error to happen as in skipping a row of text, not copying every file or putting them in the wrong place etc etc
     
  16. gamemasteru03
    OP

    gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

    Member
    806
    338
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Were on the phone and on the same web page and I gave him all the files.
     
  17. linuxares

    linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,283
    1,409
    Aug 5, 2007
    I would say 80% chance of success. 19% user error making the brick and 1% is just an unknown weird cause. (procentage is out of my ass)
     
  18. Dionicio3

    Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

    Member
    3,212
    5,662
    Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Those are highly inaccurate
     
  19. linuxares

    linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,283
    1,409
    Aug 5, 2007
    True it's probably more to 50/50. Either it bricks or not.
     
  20. Dionicio3

    Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

    Member
    3,212
    5,662
    Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    That is even more inaccurate