Gaming What Is The Nintendo Zone Thing And Why Is It Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
it was an application you could download from the eshop. what you could do is go around to certain events for example and if it has a nintendo zone, you might get a special demo or even a game from third party sellers. it was a poor attempt at getting people "out there" in my opinion. there is a little bit more to it but all it really was just an extremely limited version of spotpass/streetpass.

i don't recall ever seeing a real reason as to why it was discontinued, my guess is that it never took off. i remember little me downloading it and seeing that it told me to go to events for nintendo and thought, "wtf i ain't gonna go to no nintendo events?" and i guess many others might have had that same thought. it was merely just an experiment it seems.

as per the cia to make it work? never heard of it. if you dig around you might find the official cia but getting past the "this software is currently discontinued" might be hard.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe there is a special cartridge out there, similar to the DS Download Station, that was designed to connect to Nintendo's servers and download Nintendo Zone data, then broadcast it out in the local area (would be running in a special DS/DSi in a store somewhere, for example).
I think this cart was only ever used for the DSi version though, and was basically just the DS Download Station but was able to be remotely updated instead of needing a new cartridge every time they wanted to put new demos out. The cartridge is now useless though, as the servers have been shut down for a while.

As for the 3DS app, it was a built in system app, or at least it was in EUR region for me. It would pop up on the home menu whenever you entered a "Nintendo Zone". I only ever used it a few times, but it basically just had some advertisements/videos for upcoming games and Nintendo products. I don't recall any demos being playable, but maybe I just forgot.
Even if you get the app however, it will be useless without the Nintendo Zone servers, which have long since been shut down. I don't think it would let you any further than the title screen without being in a zone.

NathanTheMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was an application you could download from the eshop. what you could do is go around to certain events for example and if it has a nintendo zone, you might get a special demo or even a game from third party sellers. it was a poor attempt at getting people "out there" in my opinion. there is a little bit more to it but all it really was just an extremely limited version of spotpass/streetpass.

i don't recall ever seeing a real reason as to why it was discontinued, my guess is that it never took off. i remember little me downloading it and seeing that it told me to go to events for nintendo and thought, "wtf i ain't gonna go to no nintendo events?" and i guess many others might have had that same thought. it was merely just an experiment it seems.

as per the cia to make it work? never heard of it. if you dig around you might find the official cia but getting past the "this software is currently discontinued" might be hard.
If you Homebrew your 3DS and use the FBI application to launch it... well you can.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last ditch effort Nintendo did was using Nintendo Zone stations as Spot Pass Relays, so you could get more people to 'bump into' on your 3DS, instead of having to constantly always run into new people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?