WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I disassembled my laptop to see which type of cable is connected to my LCD. The screenshot shows the other end of the eDP cable that is connected with my LCD. I expected a different kind of connector. Anyone knows the name of this?

IMG_0462.JPG

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Laptops tend to use custom, or effectively custom, connectors and cables like this. You might get lucky and find another brand or model from the same manufacturer uses this but for the most part if it is broken or missing then the search ends up being [laptop model name] display cable/ribbon replacement. Even if you do find something with the same connector and same pinout then you also want to make sure you have the right amount of cable -- so many laptop makers cheap out and shave a few mm off and then after 600 lid opening and closings it kills the cable/ribbon.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Laptops tend to use custom, or effectively custom, connectors and cables like this. You might get lucky and find another brand or model from the same manufacturer uses this but for the most part if it is broken or missing then the search ends up being [laptop model name] display cable/ribbon replacement. Even if you do find something with the same connector and same pinout then you also want to make sure you have the right amount of cable -- so many laptop makers cheap out and shave a few mm off and then after 600 lid opening and closings it kills the cable/ribbon.
Thanks. It seems it's pretty tough to source correct display cables as apparently manufacturers tend to refuse to or cannot sell replacement cables to you. I have contacted my laptop supplier to see what they can do.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depending upon where you are (or appear to be) in the world they can be legally obligated to do something. Equally rather than dealing with it yourself you might be able to get someone in a "proper" computer repair place to order it for you.

You don't have to just look for the cable either. Sometimes if someone drops a laptop and someone else scraps it then after they remove the screen (replacements tend not to come with cables after all), memory, hard drive and battery they might flog the rest on and you can then remove the cable yourself. Even if you dunk a laptop in water then the cable will probably survive, though try not to go for that as it might be not be water as much as some soft drink full of some acid that will do wonders to nice copper or aluminium traces.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc