Hacking What is the Maximum storage capacity a modded vWii can read on a USB drive?

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any particular thoughts.
I can't tell you if it will work for sure, if it doesn't you'll think I'm responsible.

It should work, it's a well known brand and users have already used it without problem.

Now I'm getting this error message. Please see attachment,

But I am sure the drive is not being at that given moment.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-4_18-18-25.png
    upload_2018-3-4_18-18-25.png
    11 KB · Views: 190
  • fat32.JPG
    fat32.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 153

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my God, it I finally got it working. Wow what a relief! Please see the screen shot.
upload_2018-3-4_19-20-31.png

I did some research and I found some people that were having the same problem like me. I think at some point I changed the cluster sizes around every time I reformatted drive. I took some crazy steps to get to get to this point so please don't judge me if I sound like I'm all over the place. I got it to work though, but I don't know if my solution will work for everyone. I'm posting it here anyway just in case it will help anyone with the same issue like me. Plus, I'm not sure all these steps are necessary. I got the end result I wanted after some trial and error. Here are the steps:
  1. I used Window's standard 'Disk Management' tool to format the drive to NTFS, full 4TB.
  2. I used 'Acronis True Image WD Edition Software' to format the drive to exFAT, and make sure it's GPT and not MBR (I dont think MBR will let you go over 2TB anyway, and I don't know if there's a way around that one. I could be wrong about the 2TB limit or the lack of ability to read GBT)
  3. Go back to the Window's standard 'Disk Management' tool to format the drive back to NTFS, in full 4TB.
  4. I used WD Quick Formatter with compatibility set to 'Windows XP'
  5. And what did you know, when I ran Run FAT32Format/GuiFormat by Ridgecrop, it did not throw the 'max 2tb error,' and formatted the full drive to 4TB, nice!!!
I actually ran the FAT32Format/GuiFormat after steps 1,2 and 3 but it did not work 'til after step 4.

The last 2 steps may be the most important, I'm not really sure. I just went ahead did them all. Probably more times than I listed. Like I said I think at some point I changed the cluster sizes around, but I believe every time the drive was reformatted it reset those to default.

This may not work for you, if you do not have a WD drive of some sort. If not, i highly recommend trying any or all of the drive utilities provided by the manufacturer, then try guiformat after each one. I don't know what changes, but something about reformatting with the manufacture tool allows guiformat to disregard the 2TB limit.

I hope this work for everybody else like it worked for me.

Oh and one more thing, I notice U-Stealth is not working properly with this drive though, here are the error messages I'm receiving:

upload_2018-3-4_22-13-34.png
upload_2018-3-4_22-15-31.png
However when I connect the drive to the Wii U side of things, I don't see the message prompt to format the drive. Is this a known issue when using U-Stealth with a drive that over 2TB?

Attachments

• FAT32 FINALLY WORKING.JPG
    FAT32 FINALLY WORKING.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 144
  • upload_2018-3-4_22-16-8.png
    upload_2018-3-4_22-16-8.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 125
  • ustealth error 2.JPG
    ustealth error 2.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ustealth error.JPG
    ustealth error.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by showdownx,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad you finally managed to format it.
Like you, I'm not sure what fixed your problem (I guess the manufacturer's formatting step) but I don't really know why.
Anyway, thanks for sharing, it might help other people too.

Now, you have an issue with Ustealth which is also strange. But it seems it edited it even if it tells you it couldn't do it because the wiiu does not warn you anymore.
But if it was done, the computer shouldn't see the partition anymore.
I don't know why you have that much issue formatting or editing your boot sector. maybe your antivirus is protecting it?

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: comput3rus3r

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you finally managed to format it.
Like you, I'm not sure what fixed your problem (I guess the manufacturer's formatting step) but I don't really know why.
Anyway, thanks for sharing, it might help other people too.

Now, you have an issue with Ustealth which is also strange. But it seems it edited it even if it tells you it couldn't do it because the wiiu does not warn you anymore.
But if it was done, the computer shouldn't see the partition anymore.
I don't know why you have that much issue formatting or editing your boot sector. maybe your antivirus is protecting it?

I probably should or should of turn the antivirus off?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
some antivirus could prevent programs (other than windows device manager) from editing the boot sector.
see if it works when deactivating the antivirus.

if it works, find if you can make an exception only for Ustealth.
if not possible, you can always use the homebrew "USB Toggle" to do it directly on vWii instead of using your computer. It's safer than turning off that protection on computer.

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some antivirus could prevent programs (other than windows device manager) from editing the boot sector.
see if it works when deactivating the antivirus.

if it works, find if you can make an exception only for Ustealth.
if not possible, you can always use the homebrew "USB Toggle" to do it directly on vWii instead of using your computer. It's safer than turning off that protection on computer.

"USB Toggle"...something else I didn't know about. That sound sounds like something I rather use than the computer. How do I used the "USB Toggle?"

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
- plug only that vWii drive in your console (just to be sure you are not writing into your WiiU HDD instead)
- go to vWii HBC
- launch "USB Toggle" homebrew (available on first post of Ustealth thread)
that's all, it will just toggle/swap the signature of the boot sector from : 55AA <-> 55AB

when it's 55AA, the HDD is visible on all devices, wiiu will ask to format it.
when it's 55AB, the HDD is "stealth". The WiiU will not ask to format it, but only some wii homebrew will work, and of course now your computer will ask to format (instead of your console :P) because it's missing the partition table's signature.

I'm sure you could launch USBtoggle directly from an injected WiiU VC channel. Nobody tested that yet. (be careful to not edit your WiiU HDD!)

Last edited by Cyan,

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- plug only that vWii drive in your console (just to be sure you are not writing into your WiiU HDD instead)
- go to vWii HBC
- launch "USB Toggle" homebrew (available on first post of Ustealth thread)
that's all, it will just toggle/swap the signature of the boot sector from : 55AA <-> 55AB

when it's 55AA, the HDD is visible on all devices, wiiu will ask to format it.
when it's 55AB, the HDD is "stealth". The WiiU will not ask to format it, but only some wii homebrew will work, and of course now your computer will ask to format (instead of your console :P) because it's missing the partition table's signature.

I'm sure you could launch USBtoggle directly from an injected WiiU VC channel. Nobody tested that yet. (be careful to not edit your WiiU HDD!)

Ok, so I extracted the USB Toggle zip file. Once that was zipped I notice another zip file, should I extract that one as well or should I leave it as is?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no idea, because I don't have the file structure of all zip file on the net in mind :P

you'll have to let me know what's inside.
but, you know, ALL homebrew have the same base :

1 mandatory file : boot.dol
2 optional files : icon.png and meta.xml

put these 3 files into a sub folder of your apps :
sd:/apps/usb toggle/boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml

if you have more files, they are usually the sources, you don't need them if you are not a developer.

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no idea, because I don't have the file structure of all zip file on the net in mind :P

you'll have to let me know what's inside.
but, you know, ALL homebrew have the same base :

1 mandatory file : boot.dol
2 optional files : icon.png and meta.xml

put these 3 files into a sub folder of your apps :
sd:/apps/usb toggle/boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml

if you have more files, they are usually the sources, you don't need them if you are not a developer.

Yes, I'm not a developer.

Here it is what the folder look like after I extracted it and the highlighted is the second zipped folder after the extraction.
upload_2018-3-5_12-4-6.png

The next screen shot is what's inside that second zipped folder:

upload_2018-3-5_12-6-32.png

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to FTP from the PC to the vWii USB HDD? The last time I tried it, I was only able to FTP to the SD card and other folders but the the vWii USB Drive.

Also, I'm looking for a vWii file explorer that works, because that "Wiixplorer did not work for me the last time I used it.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to FTP from the PC to the vWii USB HDD? The last time I tried it, I was only able to FTP to the SD card and other folders but the the vWii USB Drive.

Also, I'm looking for a vWii file explorer that works, because that "Wiixplorer did not work for me the last time I used it.

WiiXplorer is the best bet but it's REALLY slow if it works.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ftp is fine to transfer covers or setting files.
don't try to transfer a 4GB wii games, it will be slow and not stable, you risk corrupting your HDD file system :/

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't try to transfer a 4GB wii games, it will be slow and not stable, you risk corrupting your HDD file system :/

I notice the FTP and WiiXplorer didn't work on the vWii side of things. And on the Wii U side, the Wii U USB Helper Transfer Tool is really slow. I guess I'll just stick to transferring everything manually like I been doing.

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is there a software out there that names the Gamecube games like 'WiiBackup Manager' does for Wii Games? Naming all these Gamecube could take forever.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can try the tool on wiibackupmanager's website.
the developer made a test version before merging it to WBM, but never merged it. the tool is on the official website.

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can try the tool on wiibackupmanager's website.
the developer made a test version before merging it to WBM, but never merged it. the tool is on the official website.

Are you talking about the Gamecube ISO tool? If so, I heard that app trims the games though, is that true?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vBe3ld2UF0