What is the deal with these shops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much everything that has been added to shops, was unobtainable otherwise. Sure, they could remove content from their library sometime later once a torrent tracker or site grabs a copy from the shop, but those sites are really bad to navigate, you have to click through several ad walls just to get a link to the free file host they use, and hope it's not a dead link or bad archive. Those sites have very poor quality control, and the free file hosts will constantly be losing any AAA titles due to DMCA, and any obscure titles would get purged from the file host due to inactivity (shame, since they have more than enough ad revenue to properly host files, but their only focus is on taking a profit). Torrents can run into the issue of low or no seeds, bad speeds, and copyright trolls sending notices to your ISP, so a lot of people tend to avoid that route or have to pay for a VPN (and most VPNs give pretty poor download speeds).
I meant officially obtainable. But yeah, those are all valid reasons to avoid re-hosters and torrents.

Deleted member 523475

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I meant officially obtainable. But yeah, those are all valid reasons to avoid re-hosters and torrents.
ohhh yeah that makes sense. Although in a few years, none of the eShop games will be official obtainable (many already are not, and a ton of DLC is not available). Plus, the eShop goes down more often than most of the shops that are running today.

Reactions: Henx

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most scene releases between several different groups, were nuked due to being stolen from tinfoil shops -> most scene releases were stolen from tinfoil shops. I am again not sure why you keep throwing "all" into my statements or acting like it was just one group and one release.
Let me replace "all" with "most" in my previous statement, guess what, it still stands.
Let's check the predb screenshot you posted about NSW-BREWS:
1689196081119.png

Why don't you expand every single one of them in your screenshot? Can you count and tell me how many nukes are due to "stolen.from.p2p"? Cause I don't think 6 out of 40 is "most"

Ok let's ASSUME this group is shitty and does nothing but stealing from others. The total number of releases from this group is 240. Actually it's only 4 pages, 6th page has only 5 entries and nuke only starts from second page, but let's round up to 6 pages. NSW-RiCHKiDDY and NSW-BREWZ only made 6 releases in total, I'll include that into the 6 total pages from NSW-BREWS.

And how many switch dumps are released in total? According to this predb site it's more than 200 pages, so more than 8000. According to another predb site, it's around 11k:
1689197059442.png

Let's call it 10,000. So 2.4% of scene releases are stolen from shop, and I'm being very generous with this number. Does it look like "most" to you? Ok ASSUME you can find 10 groups like NSW-BREWS, that'll bring the ratio to 24%. Still doesn't look like "most" to me.

And don't you act like you don't know how those shops work, they use the google workspace to store all nsps, generate download links and somehow pass it through to tinfoil on switch. Because NOBODY pays $100K/month for that amount of traffic.

Deleted member 523475

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Why don't you expand every single one of them in your screenshot? Can you count and tell me how many nukes are due to "stolen.from.p2p"?
Still doesn't look like "most" to me.
Their very first release was nuked as suspected.release.stolen.from.web, that is usually just an impossible task to prove. But it's interesting how a few hours after watermarks were found, all of their previous releases, from months prior were nuked within minutes of each other. I wonder what that indicates :unsure:
Back in the day, before shops, there used to be a bunch of scene groups that would frequently upload their own releases, before any p2p source. And I would say that ALL scene XCI dumps are uploaded by the group. But any group that is only releasing NSPs, much later than NSPs that were already shared online, are suspect at best, and, in BREWS and the other groups' cases, proven to be from shops. This is something that the few decent scene groups have been complaining about for the past year, maybe even longer.
I like this Watermark that got one of BREWS releases nuked.
Yep, sounds like they already knew BREWS was releasing web NSPs as their own eShop dumps before adding that one in.
Because NOBODY pays $100K/month for that amount of traffic.
Yeah I don't think anyone outside of large businesses (and they get additional discounts for long-term contracts) would use gce when there are a dozen comparable cloud providers that are a fraction of the cost. But especially not a free website that doesn't even run any ads or accept donations, to get any revenue at all.

TheDuck1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
@UnderDev Thank you for all those arguments you are throwing against them, but they are clearly beyond help. They wont belive anything we tell them, because it wont fit into their view of "those bad evil shops"

Edit:
There is a german saying:

Don't argue with stupid people. They pull you down to their level and beat you there with their experience.
I must say that is big of you to allow us "stupid people" to have this little corner of the internet you can't control to discuss on.
Post automatically merged:

I like this Watermark that got one of BREWS releases nuked.
How did they nuke them btw ? i mean could they not just continue to do it or did they just leave in shame.

Last edited by TheDuck1234,
Reactions: mathew77

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They wont belive anything we tell them
Oh I believe you, especially the part "your server generates 1-2GB/s traffic constantly". That rounds up to about 5PB traffic per month, no wonder google's cracking down workspace abuse and you have to close to new users. And it only verifies my second argument: the shop's operation mode is unreliable, your shop's gone the second google/nintendo decides to do something. Even if they don't mods can kick anyone they want or limit it entirely to "pros" (happened with other shops), which makes things worse. That's why I said people shouldn't rely on shops and use scene releases.

Ignore everything I said about power tripping mods, that's not the main point. It's an objective opinion and it's your words against mine (and many others got bannd for stupid reasons).

Now for my fist argument, you still can't explain how shops are not "pay for piracy" (not related to your shop, but some other pro only shop):
pay - user submits dumps/eshop cards
for - as appreciation
piracy - access to piracy shop

By that analogy, when someone got caught buying weed, they can say "they are donating money to support local small business, and as appreciation, business owner offers weed in return". I'm sure everyone will buy that.

Don't argue with stupid people. They pull you down to their level and beat you there with their experience.
Oh that's sad, reverting back to personal attacks when you're losing an argument. That'll 100% get you banned on discord... oh wait you are a discrod mod, nvm then.

Their very first release was nuked as suspected.release.stolen.from.web, that is usually just an impossible task to prove. But it's interesting how a few hours after watermarks were found, all of their previous releases, from months prior were nuked within minutes of each other. I wonder what that indicates
Like I said, even if you count every single one of those groups' releases as stolen, it only makes 2% of total switch scene releases.

Now let's do it in reverse. NSW-LiGHTFORCE, a trustworthy group you said, made 22 pages (880) releases;
NSW-SUXXORS, a group been around since DS days, made 130 pages (5200) releases;
NSW-VENOM, another trustworthy group, made 78 pages (3120) releases;
NSW-HR, another trustworthy group, made 44 pages (1760) releases;

So, these 4 groups alone made around 10000 switch releases, and your problem is with the 2%? Switch scene will be fine without those shops, just like other scenes.

But especially not a free website that doesn't even run any ads or accept donations, to get any revenue at all.
First of all, it's not a website. You can't just enter the address in your browser and download the nsp file.
Second, free not not, it's unrelated to my argument that shops are unreliable and not a good way to preserve things, which is why people shouldn't rely on them.

TheDuck1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
The shops seem to be the main providers, and you couldn't pay them for it even if you wanted to. It would be nice if these scene groups or any other group could provide the community some new releases early, maybe @mathew77 can pick up a copy of Pikmin early and release it to the public before any shop gets it.
It seems to be the shops that are the main providers of pirate games, but im not going to pay them (i know they are not taking money, never said otherwish) or anybody else for it. So who is providing the drump is irrelevant to me, im still going to pirate them.

Scene groups don't publicly release anything, btw. But all of these fake scene groups, that are uploading NSPs from the web to get into topsites, are all doing it just for their personal gain, to be able to leech from the sites without actually contributing to the scene.
When why are they provding the pirate game to begin with ? I mean i get that they want the credit, but i don't think they understand how piracy works if they wanted exclusive right to the files like nintendo have. They can't have it both ways. Also how are they going to make stop people from personal gaining from it, if the files not available for all and only for a selected group.

I must say, that i find it weird that torrent are not the main provider of switch game.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to say that on a certain subreddit there were a LOT of people complaining they got banned for typing "test" in a certain public discord to see if they still had access. No warning. No appeal. Ya gone. They absolutely do abuse their power. Lmao.

Deleted member 523475

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Like I said, even if you count every single one of those groups' releases as stolen, it only makes 2% of total switch scene releases.

Now let's do it in reverse. NSW-LiGHTFORCE, a trustworthy group you said, made 22 pages (880) releases;
NSW-SUXXORS, a group been around since DS days, made 130 pages (5200) releases;
NSW-VENOM, another trustworthy group, made 78 pages (3120) releases;
NSW-HR, another trustworthy group, made 44 pages (1760) releases;

So, these 4 groups alone made around 10000 switch releases, and your problem is with the 2%? Switch scene will be fine without those shops, just like other scenes.

First of all, it's not a website. You can't just enter the address in your browser and download the nsp file.
Second, free not not, it's unrelated to my argument that shops are unreliable and not a good way to preserve things, which is why people shouldn't rely on them.
Buddy, you are counting SUXXORS releases back to over 20 years ago, including back to GBA roms and a TV show that predb has under them for some reason. You're off by at least one order of magnitude there.
VENOM has has a ton of releases in the past, but most of their releases these days are just updates to their old titles. They don't even have 1 page of new game releases this year. HR also has some great releases, if you can read Chinese or Japanese. And as I said in my initial response to you, LightForce is great to, as long as you are ok with getting your releases at the "Speed of Light" (which apparently is 4 months after the game is already on tinfoil shops). But they are trustworthy, it's definitely their own dump. So there are a couple half-decent scene groups (that primarily dump XCIs) from over the years, but even more shitty groups popping up every few months. And if the Switch Scene was fine, there wouldn't be so many missing games and DLC (there were thousands, before pro shops came out). You can even look at the current scene group's releases, they almost never dump DLC (in a few cases, they might hack together a fake DLC for some types of unlockables), so you are still relying on shops to take care of that. If the Switch Scene was fine, pro shops wouldn't have existed, and dumping groups wouldn't have been asking for eshop funds 2-4 years ago due to how few scene eShop releases there are, and most of the eShop wasn't preserved. Previous scenes were fine because all digital releases and DLC were downloaded for free from CDN, and the scene groups or personal collectors were able to get the much-fewer physical releases that came out.

It...absolutely is a website. The only way to visit these shops, is to enter HTTPS and then their domain into a browser, and, depending on your browser, you'll get different access.
I don't see where you've posted any evidence to show that shops are unreliable and not a good way to preserve things. They have better uptime than any piracy website, or even the Nintendo eShop itself, and as one of the T pro shops said in their announcement, they have backup storage, but I'm guessing their other solutions are not as fast as google drive downloads are. Would probably still be faster than the eShop, though!
Now for my fist argument, you still can't explain how shops are not "pay for piracy" (not related to your shop, but some other pro only shop):
pay - user submits dumps
for - as appreciation
piracy - access to piracy shop

By that analogy, when someone got caught buying weed, they can say "they are donating money to support local small business, and as appreciation, business owner offers weed in return". I'm sure everyone will buy that.
If it's not related to his shop, then I don't see why you are attacking his shop for it (and a mod here already clarified that the shops themselves aren't accepting anything--it's being sent to missingdumps), but your analogy is way off, since when you copy a digital file, you aren't losing it, and I don't think any of us would consider being sent an NSP as "profit". Do you consider the shops as paying you, when you download a dump from them?
What about scene groups, do you consider them all partaking in "pay for piracy", since scene groups have to submit dumps in order to download from scene topsites?
How about your private trackers, don't you have to upload your "fair share" in order to maintain access to their torrents?
And what about these piracy websites, that make you click on their ads in order to get a link, that is directly giving them actual cash in order to get access to the NSP?

Only ad-filled websites are even comparable to a drug dealer, since they are the only group getting money from piracy.

TheDuck1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I'd just like to say that on a certain subreddit there were a LOT of people complaining they got banned for typing "test" in a certain public discord to see if they still had access. No warning. No appeal. Ya gone. They absolutely do abuse their power. Lmao.
I think it was only temporarily while they was closing the shop, since i heard that people was able to get back in again when the rush cooled down. but only the shop mods know what really happen to them.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it was only temporarily while they was closing the sho,p since i heard that people was able to get back in again when the rush cooled down. but only the shop mods know what really happen to them.
Nah. The banned ones remained banned. The people who just couldn't connect tinfoil to their account got access back. I was watching them cry about it for days. Lmao.

TheDuck1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Nah. The banned ones remained banned. The people who just couldn't connect tinfoil to their account got access back. I was watching them cry about it for days. Lmao.
seemed more like people didn't update the host url, when they lost it and was in a panic after getting kick off the discord.
but maybe @that1pixl would share some info on it.

Deleted member 523475

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
When why are they provding the pirate game to begin with ? I mean i get that they want the credit, but i don't think they understand how piracy works if they wanted exclusive right to the files like nintendo have. They can't have it both ways. Also how are they going to make stop people from personal gaining from it, if the files not available for all and only for a selected group.

I must say, that i find it weird that torrent are not the main provider of switch game.
The pro shops were created to get people to dump all of the missing titles, and Pixel shop delays posting the files for a short while as an incentive for people to actually get up and dump the game, if they have it. Still less of a delay than waiting for a scene groups to release a lot of them, anyway. Regarding the "stopping people from personally gaining from it", it looks like for the scene groups, they caught them with a watermark, and for the people reselling access (which is probably a bigger issue for them, as linuxares mentioned on the first page) it sounds like they are just banning a lot of people, not sure how they would identify that, though. Crazy how they are still using 5 PB of traffic even with those power-hungry mods indiscriminately banning all the users from the shop.

A big issue with Switch Game torrents is that there are so many releases, which get updates each day, and new DLC, that most torrents are either just for the base game, or are out of date/incomplete. Tinfoil is the fastest and easiest way to manage all of the updates/DLC. If you stick to scene releases, you'll typically have to grab 3 or sometimes even more different .torrents and still possibly be on an old update, or missing half the DLC. And if it's a more obscure game, you can't always count on there being seeders. It's difficult to cross-seed most of the library since there is usually a .torrent for the web release NSP off the shops, and then later a scene group with post a release that will not be compatible to seed since they split RAR it, and a lot of trackers will remove the "duplicate" web release even though it was there long before the scene release, and split the swarm. It's just a really bad situation with not just the size of the Switch Library, but with it constantly changing, and people having different preferences between xci/nsp and xcz/nsz...and some trackers banning compressed files...some banning all XCI...people not following those rules, and getting their .torrents deleted after a day, plus slow scene release groups, that mess up their releases, and have to reupload a fix, or stay nuked and nobody else grabs...

The Switch also have very poor storage and networking performance/capabilities, so it's not really feasible to torrent directly on the device (especially if you grab scene release RARs). You can try, but it'll always be faster, easier, and less wear n tear on your hardware to just install directly from a network location, like a shop, either on the cloud, or on your local network (local doesn't really work for everyone though due to hardware, data, and electricity requirements).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol