Hacking what is the best method for playing Pal games on an NTSC Wii?

ThaKillerKlown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have only tried a couple of times to run a PAL game on my NTSC console with poor results.

I have Starpatch which has the region free patches which I have never used because I am unsure what they do exactly.

I play all my games using CoverFloader and I know it has force NTSC but again, I have never tried this with a PAL game.

I have done some searching and reading with no definitive answer. So my question is, is there a reliable method to run PAL games on an NTSC console?

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThaKillerKlown said:
I play all my games using CoverFloader and I know it has force NTSC but again, I have never tried this with a PAL game.

I'm a noob, so forgive me. But is there any OTHER reason to force a game? Forcing, as the name suggests, forces the game to display in whatever mode you set it to. So ya, may want to give that shot.

ThaKillerKlown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Change the region of your Wii completely to PAL and use a PAL tv(very effective).

You being a very respected power member made me expect more from you... Thanks anyway...
hate2.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ThaKillerKlown said:
WiiPower said:
Change the region of your Wii completely to PAL and use a PAL tv(very effective).

You being a very respected power member made me expect more from you... Thanks anyway...
hate2.gif

And i expect from regular members who know who i am to know this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123307

And what i wrote is the only known possiblity that works for 99,x% of games, all other methods work for less games.

markedmanner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have about 5 PAL games. I play them without a problem on my NTSC Wii with USB Loader GX. For video mode I just turn on "AutoPatch" and it works perfectly. I guess I could just set the video mode to force NTSC. But "Autopatch" has seemed to work fine.

Also I am using cIOS 36 REV10

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
read the stickies and search

all you need to do is use "Force NTSC" and thats it, there is absolutely nothing else to it...

Posts merged

/thread

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Midnightzak said:
read the stickies and search

all you need to do is use "Force NTSC" and thats it, there is absolutely nothing else to it...

Posts merged

/thread

You seem to know something i don't. Which loader can force NTSC a game that don't even work in NTSC if you patched NTSC video modes into it?

PS: Really stupid typo fixed

clownz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used usb loader gx with force ntsc on plenty of Pal games, and it has worked for every pal game I have tried so far..Crash Bandicoot, Indy (with 002 fix enabled), Spiderman Web of Shadows..

I've never had a problem, but i've never paid attention to see if the games were patched before i tried this method. Usually the games I get, either say PAL or NTSC. I dont really look for "patched" games themselves.

mikewill57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems with this too. I'm not using USB Loader but I have Backup Launcher Gamma 0.3, as well as NeoGamma R4 and neither work. I have an NTSC Wii on 4.0U with preloader installed and all region settings enabled. I know I've installed the cIOS38rev 13 but, I'm not sure it's on there right because when I go int Neogamma it says IOS249 Rev 7... Neogamma dies when I try to leave it after the game not working. I get either a green screen when forcing NTSC or black and white game screen when forcing PAL50/60. When I try to launch it from the disk channel I get the "disk error..eject and power off.." message, and now when I try to launch it in backup launcher forcing NTSC w/vidpatch I get a blue screen with 002 error. Any ideas? Do I just need the backup launcher w/002 fix, and how do I know if that's what I have or not? This is only on PAL games, my NTSC games work perfectly. Thanks for the help!

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
You seem to know something i don't. Which loader can force NTSC a game that don't even work in NTSC if you patched NTSC video modes into it?
Not saying that EVERY game can be forced however I'm not aware of any games thus far that can't be run on both PAL/NTSC with some settings adjustments.

BTW, your idea of just making it a PAL Wii was soooooo phenomenal too... Was your answer correct? Yes, it was correct but it had ZERO practicality to it. So, once we go back into the realm of what is practical, "Force NTSC" is the first step in making the game work.

Not sure what crawled up your butt yesterday WiiPower because I've seen plenty of good posts by you in the past, and you are a knowledgeable guy.

solcott

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Midnightzak said:
...I'm not aware of any games thus far that can't be run on both PAL/NTSC with some settings adjustments.
Pikmin 2 PAL is one of them (and more than likely most future PAL games), if a game disc simply does not have a certain regions video code on it there isn't an unused video mode on the disc to patch/force the game to run in.

As far as usability goes, getting a PAL television and changing your Wii to PAL really is the only reliable solution.

markedmanner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mikewill57 said:
I'm having problems with this too. I'm not using USB Loader but I have Backup Launcher Gamma 0.3, as well as NeoGamma R4 and neither work. I have an NTSC Wii on 4.0U with preloader installed and all region settings enabled. I know I've installed the cIOS38rev 13 but, I'm not sure it's on there right because when I go int Neogamma it says IOS249 Rev 7... Neogamma dies when I try to leave it after the game not working. I get either a green screen when forcing NTSC or black and white game screen when forcing PAL50/60. When I try to launch it from the disk channel I get the "disk error..eject and power off.." message, and now when I try to launch it in backup launcher forcing NTSC w/vidpatch I get a blue screen with 002 error. Any ideas? Do I just need the backup launcher w/002 fix, and how do I know if that's what I have or not? This is only on PAL games, my NTSC games work perfectly. Thanks for the help!

What games are you having trouble with? I have had a few PAL games that will not load on my NTSC Wii if I do "Force NTSC". The only way I have got them to load is to set the video mode to "Autopatch" in USB Loader GX. And the games work flawlessly. You might want to try that. The games I had trouble with were Rogue Trooper, The Sims 2: Pets, The Sims 2: Castaway. These games would not load with Neogamma.

little_vin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
clownz said:
I've used usb loader gx with force ntsc on plenty of Pal games, and it has worked for every pal game I have tried so far..Crash Bandicoot, Indy (with 002 fix enabled), Spiderman Web of Shadows..

I've never had a problem, but i've never paid attention to see if the games were patched before i tried this method. Usually the games I get, either say PAL or NTSC. I dont really look for "patched" games themselves.
Have you tried "monster 4x4 PAL"? This game worked with the old Force PAL method. But never work for the newer method (Force PAL 60, 50 or ntsc, auto patch...). By the way, my TV doesn't support PAL. This forces me to keep the usb loader ultimate v3 in my sd card. It would be great if someone can tell me how to solve this issue. All the other pal gameshave no problem with me so far.

mikewill57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
markedmanner said:
mikewill57 said:

What games are you having trouble with? I have had a few PAL games that will not load on my NTSC Wii if I do "Force NTSC". The only way I have got them to load is to set the video mode to "Autopatch" in USB Loader GX. And the games work flawlessly. You might want to try that. The games I had trouble with were Rogue Trooper, The Sims 2: Pets, The Sims 2: Castaway. These games would not load with Neogamma.

I'm trying to play Pro Evo '09. I don't want to run it using the USB Loader because I'd either have to go out of pocket for a new external (not that big a deal, just have to go and buy one which takes time and may not be necessary) or format/partition the one I have which stores other media and the backups for my laptop, and I don't want to risk those being damaged at all...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Midnightzak said:
QUOTE said:
Not saying that EVERY game can be forced however I'm not aware of any games thus far that can't be run on both PAL/NTSC with some settings adjustments.

BTW, your idea of just making it a PAL Wii was soooooo phenomenal too... Was your answer correct? Yes, it was correct but it had ZERO practicality to it. So, once we go back into the realm of what is practical, "Force NTSC" is the first step in making the game work.

Not sure what crawled up your butt yesterday WiiPower because I've seen plenty of good posts by you in the past, and you are a knowledgeable guy.

Sorry for not wanting to give a real reply to somebody who does not have a concrete problem and who did not really bother to read about that topic. And changing the region and using a PAL tv is the only solution known that always works. Forcing NTSC is not the 1st step, it's the 1st try, that's a big difference. Also making a game work is mostly done by NOT forcing the video mode, if you have a crappy tv or a middle quality video cable(rgb) then you get color issues, but the game works.

markedmanner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
little_vin said:
clownz said:

Have you tried "monster 4x4 PAL"? This game worked with the old Force PAL method. But never work for the newer method (Force PAL 60, 50 or ntsc, auto patch...). By the way, my TV doesn't support PAL. This forces me to keep the usb loader ultimate v3 in my sd card. It would be great if someone can tell me how to solve this issue. All the other pal gameshave no problem with me so far.

Try the method I posted in post 13.

little_vin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
markedmanner said:
Just tried it with no luck, the game just halted with a black screen. I wonder what's the difference between old Force PAL and current Force PAL 60, 50?

markedmanner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
little_vin said:
markedmanner said:
Just tried it with no luck, the game just halted with a black screen. I wonder what's the difference between old Force PAL and current Force PAL 60, 50?

Do you know which cIOS verison you are using? I am using cIOS38 Rev13a. Which games aren't working?

little_vin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
markedmanner said:
little_vin said:
markedmanner said:

Do you know which cIOS verison you are using? I am using cIOS38 Rev13a. Which games aren't working?
I'm using cIOS36_rev10, but actually I've tried all of cios38 rev12, rev13 and rev13b. The game name is Monster 4x4 pal (RM4P41). I've got a 4.0J Wii and a ntsc tv, this game just won't boot with usbloader gx. With the default setting, the game boot but my tv won't support it. If I set it to force ntsc, it just halted with a black screen. But the game did work correctly with usb loader ultime v3 using the "force pal" option. It's really strange.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up