Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

What is the "Best Flash Cart"?

By our friends at DS Database

GBAtemp member and DSDatabase.org founder PharaohsVizier recently started a survey, with three simple questions:
  • Question 1: What do you think is the best flash cart to buy currently without considering the price?
  • Question 2: What do you think is the best flash cart to buy currently with consideration of the price?
  • Question 3: Which flash cart do you think changed the scene with its features, which cart was the best of its time?
These questions have been answered by 25 people - Shaunj66, Opium, Sinkhead, PharaohsVizier, Mewgia, ModMyDS, cory1492, Öhr, dantheman, FAST6191, Iwakura, six-five-two, Zombie_X, Psyfira, 4saken, Kms, chuckstudios, and myself. If you haven't made up your mind on which flashcart you should get, this article will be a great help!

icon11.gif
Read the article at DSDatabase.org

icon11.gif
Visit DSDatabase.org

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
wacko.gif
they also made a mistake in Q3, I had to correct it myself
lookie:
QUOTE said:
Question 3: Which flash cart do you changed the scene with its features, which cart was the best of its time?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The R4 team are going to be happy about this. R4 wins on the last 2 questions and gets many votes on the 1st one.
Nice site PharaohsVizier, especially with the funky layout/design.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have to say I totally agree with the votes distribution of this survey. (Q3 is quite personal I believe)
It's sad CycloDS didn't get a single vote on Q2. If they successfully implement real time save/load, it could be worth the money but before then, R4 is R$.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the most part, I agree with those answers. I don't quite understand why dantheman chose Supercard for Q1 considering M3's superior GBA support, but all in all this is a pretty good and useful read.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And a victory for the R4 is the same as a victory for the M3 Simply.
happy.gif

On another note, in question 3, I was surprised that the M3 Perfect got only 1 vote. Now that is a cart that really changed the scene when it was released. It was the next version of the GBA Movie Player and could play GBA and NDS roms and incorporated it's own media file format for music and video (Supercard had stole the early versions of the movieplaying firmware). It was the best way to watch video on your GBA/NDS before Moonshell came along.
And wasn't it the first slot 2 card to play NDS roms?

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow... N-Card wins all 3 easily really.

* Question 1: What do you think is the best flash cart to buy currently without considering the price?

N-Card because it gets update essentially every other day depending on if there is anything that needs to be fixed. Everyone talks about how good the R4 support team is, but in reality the N-Card support is even better. Not to mention that it is the offical flash cart of the largest Chinese flash cart forum (NDS-BB) so support will be there virtually forever.

* Question 2: What do you think is the best flash cart to buy currently with consideration of the price?

N-Card without a doubt, its true that the R4 is cheap at 30$, however, the N-Card is also 30$ with 1GB of built in memory. Making it more then a bargain. The N-Card is just severely underrated around most places so people don't know this.

* Question 3: Which flash cart do you think changed the scene with its features, which cart was the best of its time?

Again N-Card. First card to have automatic DLDI patching. First slot one to use USB. First slot one to have built in memory. (NDSGBA and NINJAPASS don't count because it just sucks, really really bad) First slot one to have true 100% compatibility. (Downgrade to the first firmware and you will see that all games still boot. The only game that doesn't save is Zelda and a couple others)

Everyone was hating on the N-Card, but in reality it has better game support then R4, better software support then R4, much cheaper then R4.

The R4 is the most popular Slot one therefore its quality is being overrated too kingdom come.
happy.gif

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Dude. I have an N-Card, and I participated in the survey.

First of all, it's not what's more of a bargain, it's what's the best with price considered.
DS-X had automatic FAT patching, had USB, and had internal memory all before N-Card was even conceived.

Get your shit straight.

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, but it also had largest corruption rate, worst support in existence (only seconded by the wiikey and other vaporware) junky interface and useless features. With firmware that bricks DSX's too boot.

Automatic fat patching is hardly a feature since DLDI is out. In fact, its almost useless unless you want to play old homebrew, but even in that case the homebrew is almost certain to be updated with DLDI because DLDI is just that much better.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't the predecessor to DLDI called PAFS? What did it stand for? (totally irrelevant, but I remember this had something to do with homebrew)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1